Thursday, September 24, 2026

Where Does the Body End? | 몸은 어디까지가 몸일까?

 










 

Looking at Pañca Kośa Through Hon, Baek, and Neok

Not long ago, a student I practice with told me something.

She had been told that a particular area of her body was weak and prone to repeated injury, and she had been prescribed exercises that repeatedly loaded and strengthened the muscles in that area.

I nodded. I suppose it wouldn’t be entirely unhelpful.

Modern movement science and anatomy are very good at looking closely at the body, identifying areas of weakness, and describing what kinds of movement or strength may be needed. I enjoy studying anatomy myself, and it has helped me a great deal in my own practice.

But as I listened to her, another thought followed.

Is looking only at that one area really enough?

If one muscle is weak, is the problem necessarily contained within that muscle? If we make that muscle stronger, does everything else resolve with it?

The body does not move in such neatly divided pieces. The way the feet move affects the pelvis. The pelvis influences the spine. A change in breathing can alter the relationship between the ribs and shoulders. When one area remains tense, another may begin doing work in its place.

That was what I wanted to say to her. I wanted her to see the whole body rather than only the part, and more than anything, to notice the relationships between the parts.

Even in her regular practice, her attention sometimes seemed to stay fixed on one particular place. She is disciplined about taking care of herself and works very hard. Yet almost as if that diligence had another side to it, stress sometimes seemed to appear in her movement as a pattern concentrated in one area of the body.

Perhaps we also need to look a little wider.

Is she sleeping well? Is the body constantly holding tension? Does the mind know how to rest? Is she holding too tightly to something? Is she tired or hurting somewhere, yet continuing to push anyway?

Those things are difficult to see if we look only at the name of a muscle.


Knowing What We Can See Makes Us Feel Safer

We live in a time when we are accustomed to dividing the body into increasingly smaller parts: bones, joints, muscles, fascia, nerves, blood, cells. We measure them, photograph them, scan them, and turn them into numbers.

When something can be seen and verified, it can feel reassuring. If we can say, “This is the cause,” the mind settles a little. When something has a name, we feel as though we understand it.

And yet, even with our ability to examine the body in extraordinary detail, there are still things that remain difficult to explain.

A person can have material abundance and still suffer. Someone can be told that nothing seriously wrong has been found in the body and yet continue to hurt. A person may want to rest but be unable to, remain tense when nothing obvious is happening, or work on one painful area only to have discomfort appear somewhere else.

I am not suggesting that some invisible thing must therefore be the cause.

I simply think there are times when a human being cannot be fully explained by what can be physically named.


Five Sheaths

While studying Yoga, I encountered Pañca Kośa, which offers another way of looking at a human being.

Pañca means five, and kośa is often translated as a sheath, covering, or layer.

Traditionally, five are described:

Annamaya Kośa — the body made of food.
Prāṇamaya Kośa — the layer of life and breath.
Manomaya Kośa — the layer of sensation and mind.
Vijñānamaya Kośa — the layer of discernment and knowing.
Ānandamaya Kośa — the layer associated with a deeper joy or peace.

At first, I imagined them as five layers stacked neatly inside a person. The body on the outside, breath within it, mind within that, and then something else farther inside.

But the longer I sit with the idea, the less important the number five seems.

What stays with me is another question:

How far am I willing to look when I look at a person?


The First Three Layers Yoga Showed Me

For me, Yoga first helped me understand the outer three layers.

Through āsana, the first thing I encountered was Annamaya Kośa: the weight of the body, bones and joints, muscular strength, fatigue and pain, what is possible today and what is not.

At first, most of my attention went there. Can I do the posture or not? How far can I go? How long can I hold it?

Then, as I learned to work with the breath, the body began to look different. When the breath becomes short, movement changes. When the breath becomes longer, the body changes with it. The very same posture can feel as if it belongs to an entirely different person depending on the quality of the breath.

That was when Prāṇamaya Kośa began to connect with something real in my practice.

Eventually, I also began to notice the mind moving along with the body and breath.

When a posture goes well, I feel pleased. When it does not, irritation appears. I compare myself with someone else. I am disappointed when I cannot do what I could do yesterday. I want to accomplish a more difficult posture.

This became especially clear while practicing inversions in the Advanced Series.

The body may be capable of the movement, yet one emotion—fear—can restrict and distort the entire movement.

Is the limitation strength? Is it balance? Or is fear already causing the body to contract and move in another direction?

I began to see the boundary between them.

I thought I was practicing the body, but inside that body the mind had been moving all along.

Manomaya Kośa.

The layer of sensation, thought, and emotion.

Yoga was where I first began to understand these first three layers.


A Little Farther In

When I practice Seon meditation, the question begins to move a little farther inward.

I sit without moving the body. I do not deliberately regulate the breath. I simply sit.

And strangely, when I become still, more begins to appear.

A thought arises. An emotion follows it. Then another thought appears and judges the first one. Some things I want to hold on to. Others I want to disappear as quickly as possible.

But every so often, there is a period when I can see all of this without following it.

There is a thought, but I am not completely carried away by it. There is an emotion, but I know that the emotion itself is not all that I am.

At moments like that, I think of Vijñānamaya Kośa.

Not simply knowing more, but seeing a little more clearly what it is that I am seeing. Wisdom, discernment, a deeper kind of understanding—those words begin to connect with the experience.

And very rarely, there are moments that are more difficult to explain.


The Moment When All I Can Say Is “Ah…”

Those moments do not come only during meditation.

For me, they often come during Yoga practice. There are moments when I no longer need to separate the person doing the posture from the person observing it. Body, breath, and mind seem, briefly, to be moving in the same direction.

On other days, it happens while walking beside the ocean. I follow the endless horizon with my eyes and continue walking along it until, at some point, words are no longer necessary.

It can happen while looking at a mountain, listening to a phrase of music, standing quietly in front of a painting, or being deeply moved by something someone says.

Suddenly, everything stops.

Ah…

Nothing else seems to come.

A moment that already feels complete before I try to explain it.

I am not happy because I have acquired something. I am not pleased because someone has recognized me.

The moment itself is enough.

For a little while, the boundary between myself and what is outside me seems less distinct.

At moments like that, I think of Ānandamaya Kośa.

I am not saying that these experiences are exactly what the Yoga tradition means by Ānandamaya Kośa. But when I encounter this ancient word, I feel I understand, at least a little, why human experience was not thought to end with the body and the thinking mind.


Body, Mind, Hon, Baek, Neok

When I study Pañca Kośa, certain words from my mother tongue naturally come to mind.

Body.

Mind.

Hon.

Baek.

Neok.

I first encountered the language of hon through ancestral rites and funerals, and I also met hon and neok naturally in Korean poetry and literature. We still use these words in ordinary speech.

My hon left me.

My neok was gone.

I stared, having lost my neok.

We may not be able to define these expressions precisely, yet we seem to understand what they mean.

I find the expression “to lose one’s neok while looking at something” especially interesting.

When we see a landscape of overwhelming beauty, lose ourselves in music, or are deeply moved by something, we do not simply say that we were “concentrating.”

We say we lost our neok.

It is an experience of briefly forgetting the ordinary self, a moment when the boundary between the one who looks and what is being looked at seems to blur.

Perhaps Koreans, too, have long had ways of speaking about a person that do not end with the visible body.

Of course, Pañca Kośa and the Korean ideas of hon, baek, and neok are not the same system.

I do not want to force them into correspondences—to say that Annamaya Kośa is baek, Prāṇamaya Kośa is hon, or Ānandamaya Kośa is neok.

That would make both traditions too simple.

What interests me is that people from very different times and cultures seem to have asked a similar question:

Is what we can see really the whole person?


Hearing It Again in the Korean I Grew Up With

When I talk about Pañca Kośa, I do not want to explain it only through Sanskrit.

For a Korean student especially, perhaps we can also begin with words already familiar to us.

Body, feeling, mind, hon, neok.

Words we have heard all our lives.

I am not saying that these Korean words and Pañca Kośa belong to the same philosophical system. But through familiar language, perhaps the thought that “a person has dimensions wider and deeper than the muscle we can see in front of us” can be received a little more naturally.

Yoga brings me into contact with Sanskrit often.

But when I spend enough time with a word that came from somewhere very far away, sometimes it sends me back toward the Korean words I have heard and used since childhood—and I see them differently.


Five Boxes?

When I first learned Pañca Kośa, I memorized the five layers as though I were studying for an exam:

Annamaya Kośa, Prāṇamaya Kośa, Manomaya Kośa, Vijñānamaya Kośa, Ānandamaya Kośa.

Now I see them differently.

Pañca Kośa is not five boxes. It is not another classification system for dividing a person into smaller pieces.

If anything, it seems to point in the opposite direction.

Am I looking too narrowly?

It feels more like a map that opens the view in five directions.

First, I look at the body. Then I look at the breath. I look at the mind. I look at the knowing and discernment that can observe that mind. And sometimes I try to move quietly a little farther inward.


Where Does the Body End?

None of this means that we should discard modern anatomy.

Movement science matters. Regular medical care matters. Strength matters. Treatment matters when it is needed.

I simply do not think that any one map is the whole person.

One map may show bone density and structure clearly. Another may show muscles. Another may help us understand breath.

Pañca Kośa shows me a different kind of question.

How far am I looking when I look at a person?

As far as the muscles?

The breath?

Emotion and thought?

The place that can observe the mind?

And is there something deeper still?

I do not know yet.

But I keep looking.

I begin with the body, feel the breath, watch the mind, and sometimes wait for that brief moment that comes from somewhere beyond it—

“Ah…”

That moment.

 


This is a record of one practitioner’s personal experiences and studies. References to anatomy and yoga are not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment. Some names have been changed out of respect for personal privacy.

Related Reflections














판차 코샤와 혼·백·넋을 바라보며

같이 수련하는 한 학생에게 얼마 전 이런 이야기를 들었다.

특정 부위가 약하고 그곳의 부상이 반복되어, 그 근육에 무게를 주고 반복적으로 강화하는 운동을 처방받았다고 했다. 나는 고개를 끄덕였다. 도움이 될 수 있다고 생각한다.

현대 운동학과 해부학은 몸을 아주 세밀하게 보고, 약한 곳을 찾아내고, 필요한 움직임과 힘을 구체적으로 설명하는 데 많은 도움을 준다. 나도 해부학 공부를 좋아하고, 수련을 하면서 도움을 많이 받았다.

그런데 그 학생의 이야기를 듣다 보니 다른 생각도 따라왔다.

그 부위만 보는 게 과연 충분할까.

한 근육이 약하다고 해서 그 근육만의 문제일까. 그 근육을 강하게 만들면 모든 것이 해결될까.

몸은 그렇게 깔끔하게 나누어 움직이지 않는다. 발의 움직임이 골반에 영향을 주고, 골반은 척추에 영향을 준다. 호흡 하나만 달라져도 갈비뼈와 어깨의 관계가 바뀐다. 한쪽이 계속 긴장하면 다른 쪽이 대신 일을 하기도 한다.

그 학생을 보면서 내가 말해주고 싶었던 것도 그런 것이었다. 부분보다 몸 전체를 보았으면 좋겠다고. 그리고 무엇보다 부분과 부분 사이의 관계를 보면 좋겠다고.

평소 수련에서도 시야가 특정 지점에 오래 머무는 듯했다. 자기관리에도 철저하고, 일도 정말 열심히 하는 분이다. 그런데 이상하게도 그 성실함의 반증처럼 스트레스가 몸의 특정 부위에 집중된 움직임 패턴으로 나타날 때가 있었다.

조금 더 넓은 것도 함께 봐주어야 하지 않을까. 잠은 잘 자고 있는지, 몸이 계속 긴장 상태에 있지는 않은지, 마음은 쉴 줄 아는지, 무언가를 지나치게 붙잡고 있지는 않은지, 어딘가 피곤하고 아픈데도 계속 밀어붙이고 있는 것은 아닌지.

그런 것들은 근육 이름 하나만으로는 잘 보이지 않는다.


보이는 것을 알면 안심이 된다

현대를 사는 우리는 몸을 아주 잘게 나누는 데 익숙하다. 뼈, 관절, 근육, 근막, 신경, 혈액, 세포. 점점 작게 나누고, 측정하고, 사진 찍고, 수치로 확인한다. 눈에 보이고 확인할 수 있으면 조금 안심이 된다. 원인이 이것이라고 말할 수 있으면 마음이 놓인다. 이름을 알면 이해한 것 같은 기분이 든다.

그런데 이렇게 몸을 아주 세밀하고 정확하게 볼 수 있는데도 설명하기 어려운 일들이 여전히 있다.

물질적으로 부족한 것이 없어도 사람은 힘들다. 몸에 큰 이상이 없다는 말을 들어도 계속 아픈 사람이 있다. 쉬고 싶어도 쉬지 못하고, 아무 일도 일어나지 않았는데 계속 긴장하며, 몸의 한 부분을 아무리 고쳐보아도 다른 곳에서 다시 통증이 나타날 때도 있다.

보이지 않는 무엇인가가 문제의 원인일 거란 뜻으로 말하려는 것은 아니다.

다만 우리, 인간이라는 존재를 물리적으로 이름 하나만으로 충분히 설명하기 어려울 때가 있다.


다섯 겹의 몸

요가를 공부하면서 만난 판차 코샤는 사람을 조금 다른 방식으로 바라본다. ‘판차’는 다섯을 뜻하고, ‘코샤’는 덮개나 층, 껍질처럼 번역된다.

전통적으로는 다섯 층을 이야기한다.

안나마야 코샤는 음식으로 이루어진 몸, 프라나마야 코샤는 생명과 호흡의 층위, 마노마야 코샤는 감각과 마음의 층위, 비즈냐나마야 코샤는 분별과 앎의 층위, 아난다마야 코샤는 더 깊은 기쁨과 평온의 층위다.

처음에는 나도 이것을 사람 안에 다섯 개의 층이 차곡차곡 들어 있는 그림처럼 받아들였다. 겉에는 몸이 있고, 그 안에는 호흡이 있고, 그 안에는 마음이 있고, 그리고 더 안쪽에 또 무엇인가가 있는 것처럼.

하지만 오래 들여다볼수록 중요한 것은 다섯이라는 숫자보다 다른 데 있는 것 같다.

사람을 어디까지 보고 있는가?라는 질문.


요가가 보여준 처음 세 층

내게 요가는 먼저 바깥의 세 층을 이해하게 도와주었다.

아사나를 하면서 처음 만나는 것은 안나마야 코샤다. 몸의 무게, 뼈와 관절, 근육의 힘, 피로와 통증, 오늘 가능한 움직임과 불가능한 움직임.

처음에는 대부분 이것에만 집중한다. 자세가 되니, 안 되나. 어디까지 내려가는가. 얼마나 오래 버티나.

그러다 호흡을 배우면 몸이 조금 달라 보이기 시작한다. 숨이 짧아지면 움직임이 달라지고, 숨이 길어지면 몸도 달라진다. 같은 자세도 호흡에 따라 전혀 다른 사람이 된 것처럼 느껴질 때가 있다.

그때부터 프라나마야 코샤라는 말이 조금씩 실제 수련과 연결되기 시작한다.

그리고 몸과 호흡을 따라 움직이는 마음까지 보이기 시작한다.

잘되는 자세에서는 기분이 좋아지고, 안 되는 자세에서는 짜증이 난다. 다른 사람과 비교하고, 어제보다 못하면 실망하고, 더 어려운 자세를 성취하고 싶어진다.

특히 어드밴스드 시리즈의 역자세를 수련하다 보면 마음이 더 분명하게 보였다.

충분히 움직일 수 있는 몸인데 공포라는 감정 하나가 움직임 전체를 제한하고 왜곡한다.

힘이 부족한 것인지, 균형의 문제인지, 아니면 두려움 때문에 몸이 위축되는 방향으로 움직이는 것인지. 그 경계가 보이기 시작했다.

몸을 수련하고 있다고 생각했는데 그 안에서는 계속 마음이 움직이고 있었다.

마노마야 코샤. 감각과 생각과 감정의 층위.

나는 요가를 통해 이 처음 세 층을 가장 먼저 배운 것 같다.


조금 더 안쪽으로

선명상을 배우면 질문은 조금 더 안쪽으로 향한다.

몸을 움직이지 않고 앉는다. 호흡을 일부러 조절하지도 않는다. 그냥 앉아 있다.

가만히 앉으면 오히려 더 많은 것이 보인다.

생각이 일어나고, 감정이 따라오고, 그 생각을 판단하는 또 다른 생각이 나타난다. 어떤 것은 붙잡고 싶고, 어떤 것은 빨리 사라졌으면 좋겠다.

그런데 어느 순간, 그 모든 것을 따라가지 않고 바라보는 시간이 생긴다.

생각이 있지만 생각에 완전히 끌려가지는 않는 순간. 감정이 있지만 그 감정이 나 자체는 아님을 아는 순간. 그럴 때 비즈냐나마야 코샤라는 말이 떠오른다.

무언가를 더 많이 안다는 뜻이라기보다, 내가 무엇을 보고 있는지 조금 더 분명하게 알아차리는 것. 지혜, 분별력, 조금 더 깊은 이해. 그런 말들이 이 경험과 연결된다.

그리고 아주 드물게, 그보다 조금 더 설명하기 어려운 순간도 있다.


“아…” 하고 멈추는 순간

그런 순간은 꼭 명상 중에만 오는 것은 아니다.

내 경우에는 요가를 수련하다가 찾아오는 일이 많다. 어느 순간 자세를 하고 있는 나와 자세를 바라보고 있는 나를 굳이 구분하지 않아도 되는 순간. 몸과 호흡과 마음이 잠시 같은 방향을 향하는 순간.

또 어떤 날에는 바다를 걷다가 찾아온다. 끝없이 이어지는 수평선을 바라보며 그 길을 따라 걷다 보면 어떤 말도 필요 없어진다.

산을 바라보다가, 음악 한 구절을 듣다가, 그림 앞에 오래 서 있다가, 누군가의 말에 깊이 감동하다가 갑자기 멈추는 순간.

아…

그 정도밖에는 다른 어떤 말도 나오지 않는 순간. 말로 설명하기 전에 이미 충분한 순간.

내가 무엇인가를 얻어서 기쁜 것도 아니고, 누군가에게 인정받아서 좋은 것도 아니다. 그저 그 자체로 충분하다.

잠깐, 나와 바깥 경계가 평소보다 옅어질 때. 나는 그런 순간 아난다마야 코샤라는 말이 떠오른다.

요가 전통에서 말하는 아난다마야 코샤의 의미와 정확히 같은 경험이라고 말하려는 것은 아니다. 다만 아주 오래된 그 단어를 접하며, 왜 사람들이 인간의 경험을 몸과 생각만으로 끝내지 않았는지 조금은 알 것 같다.


몸, 마음, 혼, 백, 넋

판차 코샤를 공부할 때 자연스럽게 떠오르는 내 모국어 표현들이 있다.

몸.

마음.

혼.

백.

넋.

제사나 장례를 통해 혼이라는 말을 들었고, 시와 소설 등 한국 문학 속에서도 혼과 넋에 관한 표현을 자연스럽게 만났다. 그리고 일상에서도 지금까지 사용한다.

혼이 빠졌다.

넋이 나갔다.

넋을 잃고 바라봤다.

정확한 뜻을 설명해주지 않아도 대충 무얼 뜻하는지 안다.

특히 “넋을 잃고 바라봤다”는 표현이 재미있다. 너무 아름다운 풍경을 보았을 때, 음악에 완전히 빠졌을 때, 무언가에 깊이 감동했을 때 우리는 그 순간을 단순히 “집중했다”고 하지 않고 넋을 잃었다고 말한다.

잠깐 평소의 나를 잊어버린 것 같은 경험. 바라보는 사람과 바라보는 것의 경계가 잠시 흐려지는 순간.

그러고 보면 한국 사람들도 오래전부터 사람을 눈에 보이는 몸 하나만으로 설명하지 않았던 것 같다.

물론 판차 코샤와 혼과 백, 넋이 같은 체계는 아니다. 안나마야 코샤가 백이고, 프라나마야 코샤가 혼이고, 아난다마야 코샤가 넋이라는 식으로 때려 맞추고 싶지는 않다. 그렇게 하면 두 전통을 너무 단순하게 보는 것이리라. 다만 서로 다른 시대와 문화에서도 인간을 바라보며 비슷한 질문을 했다는 점이 흥미롭다.

눈에 보이는 것이 그 사람의 전부일까.


내가 듣고 자란 한국말로 다시…

판차 코샤를 이야기할 때 산스크리트어만으로 설명하고 싶지는 않다. 특히 한국인 학생이라면 우리말에서 시작할 수도 있을 것 같다.

몸, 느낌, 마음, 혼, 넋.

우리가 평생 들어온 말들.

이 말들과 판차 코샤가 같은 철학 체계라는 뜻은 아니다. 다만 익숙한 언어를 통해 “사람에게는 지금 눈에 보이는 근육보다 더 넓고 깊은 면이 있다”는 생각을 조금 더 자연스럽게 바라볼 수 있지 않을까.

요가를 하면 자주 산스크리트어를 접한다.

그런데 아주 먼 곳에서 온 단어 하나를 오래 들여다보다 보면, 가끔은 내가 어릴 때부터 듣고 사용해온 한국말을 새롭게 보게 된다.


다섯 개의 상자?

판차 코샤를 처음 배웠을 때는 시험공부하듯 다섯 개의 층을 달달 외웠다.

안나마야 코샤, 프라나마야 코샤, 마노마야 코샤, 비즈냐나마야 코샤, 아난다마야 코샤.

지금은 다르게 본다. 판차 코샤는 다섯 개의 상자가 아니다. 사람을 더 잘게 나누기 위한 또 하나의 분류표도 아니다.

오히려 반대의 길을 보여주는 것 같다.

너무 좁은 시선으로 보고 있지는 않은가. 방향을 다섯 개로 열어주는 지도와 같다.

먼저 몸을 본다. 그리고 숨을 본다. 마음을 본다. 그 마음을 바라보는 앎과 지혜를 본다. 그리고 때로는 그보다 조금 더 안쪽으로 조용히 들어가 본다.


몸은 어디까지가 몸일까

그렇다고 현대의 해부학을 버릴 이유는 없다.

운동학도 필요하다. 정기검진도 필요하고, 근력도 필요하고, 필요하다면 치료도 받아야 한다. 다만 어떤 하나의 지도가 사람 전체라고 생각하지 않을 뿐이다.

어떤 지도는 골밀도와 형태를 잘 보여준다. 어떤 지도는 근육을 잘 보여준다. 어떤 지도는 호흡을 보여준다.

판차 코샤는 내게 조금 다른 질문을 보여준다.

나는 사람을 어디까지 보고 있는가.

근육까지인가. 호흡까지인가. 감정과 생각까지인가. 그 마음을 바라보는 곳까지인가. 그리고 그보다 더 깊은 곳도 있는가.

나는 아직 잘 모른다. 그래도 계속 본다.

몸에서 시작하고, 숨을 느끼고, 마음을 보고, 때로는 그 마음 너머에서 잠깐 우리를 찾아오는 “아…” 그 순간까지.



이 글은 한 수련자의 개인적인 경험과 공부를 기록한 것입니다. 해부학과 요가에 관한 내용은 의료적 진단이나 치료를 대신하지 않습니다. 개인의 사생활을 존중하기 위해 일부 이름은 가명으로 표기합니다.
















No comments:

Post a Comment

What Does the Body Remember? | 몸은 무엇을 기억하고 있을까

  One of the hardest kinds of books for me to read is a book about trauma. When I read Peter A. Levine’s Waking the Tiger: Healing Traum...