Learning Together…
Saha Nāvavatu
I am a student of yoga.
I wanted those to be the first words I wrote here.
I did not create this place to teach anyone. I wanted to leave a record of myself as a student—practicing Ashtanga Yoga and looking again at the way I move, studying anatomy and learning about my own body, and sometimes carrying a single thing my teacher said for months, turning it over again and again in my mind.
So I think of anyone reading this not so much as a student, but as a fellow practitioner.
We have different bodies. We step onto our mats at different times and in different places. And each of us, in our own way, is learning something.
Whenever I think about that, one mantra comes to mind.
oṁ saha nāvavatu
The Sound of Learning Together
I learned this mantra from my teacher.
After asana practice, we would leave our mats and sit together in a circle on the wooden floor to chant.
The practice room was not large. With twelve people inside, it felt quite full. One entire wall was covered with mirrors, and by the end of practice, the heat rising from our bodies would fog the glass like a window in the middle of winter.
Only moments before, we had been practicing yoga asana in rows in front of that mirror.
When the final asana was finished, we would leave our mats and naturally form a circle.
There was still heat in our bodies. Someone would wipe the sweat from their face. Someone else would adjust clothes damp from practice. Our breathing, still a little elevated, gradually began to settle.
My teacher’s daughter would hand each of us a sheet with the mantra and its meaning.
We would take it, adjust the way we were sitting,
and wait.
My teacher sat on the same wooden floor with us.
After a moment, his voice would begin the first sound, and we would follow.
Together.
saha nāvavatu
This mantra is a prayer that teacher and student may be protected together, learn together, that their study may have strength, and that there may be no hostility between them.
Of all of that, the word I love most is together.
It is not simply that the teacher knows and the student makes an effort.
Both enter into the act of learning.
That resembles the way I want to approach yoga.
I am someone who is learning.
And whoever is reading this is probably learning something, somewhere, in their own way as well.
So here, rather than saying,
“This is how you should do it,”
I would rather say,
“This is how I learned it.”
And,
“This is what happened to me.”
An Ancient Mantra and the Smell of Sweat
That does not mean our practice was always serious or solemn.
Quite the opposite.
Miro, my teacher’s dog, may have had something to do with that.
Miro seemed to understand the chanting routine better than some of us did.
As soon as we began forming a circle, he would happily wander among us, visiting one freshly practiced student after another and enthusiastically sniffing each person.
As if checking whether we had worked up a proper amount of sweat.
Once the inspection was complete, Miro would return toward my teacher and settle down near someone’s knees.
Then, while we chanted, he would fall asleep.
Some days, he even snored.
Among the Sanskrit voices of all those students:
soft little snores….
When it came to peace, perhaps Miro was already far ahead of the rest of us.
He looked remarkably healthy and young for his age.
And when he made eye contact, he did not immediately look away. He would hold your gaze for a surprisingly long time, almost as though he were looking somewhere beyond your eyes.
A friend and I once noticed something else that made us laugh.
When my teacher and Miro sat beside one another, there was something strangely similar about the outlines of their profiles.
People say that dogs and the humans they live with begin to resemble one another after enough years together.
Perhaps it really had happened.
Miro has since crossed the rainbow bridge and is no longer with us.
Maybe that is why scenes that once simply made me laugh now return with a little more warmth and longing.
The fogged mirror.
All of us still wet with sweat.
My teacher’s voice.
The sound of the mantra as we followed him…
And Miro, lying comfortably in the middle of it all.
The Body Changes, Yet We Return to the Same Sound
Through asana practice, I have learned that the body is always changing.
A posture that felt comfortable yesterday can feel difficult today.
A hand that could not reach for months may suddenly arrive somewhere it could not before. And in the opposite direction, a movement I had done without much thought can one day reveal a tension I had never noticed.
Since beginning Ashtanga, my movement, alignment, range of motion, and even the shape of my body have changed considerably.
At first, I could not even do Chaturanga Dandasana properly.
The idea of bending my elbows from plank and lowering my body with control seemed like a movement that simply did not exist in my body yet.
My arms trembled, and rather than lowering slowly, I would more or less travel the full length of my arms and then—
drop.
Looking back, I was probably less devoted to Chaturanga than I was to gravity.
That body changed through repeated practice.
And as I grow older, it will change again.
Muscular strength will change.
Joint mobility will change.
Breathing will change.
Yet while so much about the body changes, we return to the same mantra.
saha nāvavatu
The next time,
saha nāvavatu
And the time after that.
With a changing body, we repeat an unchanged sound.
Perhaps that repetition is one of the things that allows me to see my own changes more clearly.
There is, however, something that seems to have changed far less than my body.
My mind.
When I first began practicing, I wanted to achieve something.
It might have been a posture.
A certain appearance.
Or some state I imagined I should reach.
The object changes a little, but the mind that wants to grasp something returns in a remarkably familiar form.
My body has changed quite a bit.
That mind, however,
has been impressively persistent.
Perhaps that is why there is still so much left to learn.
Making Sound Is a Physical Practice Too
My teacher once spoke about people who had spent many years chanting.
He said that when he looked at the neck and chest of someone who had chanted for a long time—or someone who had spent years using the voice through activities such as classical singing or choir—he could sense the strength that had developed through long practice.
He also said that this kind of training could have a positive influence on asana practice.
That stayed with me.
At first, I think I thought of chanting mostly as words—or perhaps even as a task.
Memorizing sentences with meaning and reciting them.
But when you actually chant, it is quite physical.
You have to inhale.
You have to regulate the exhalation.
You have to make sound.
You have to listen to the breath and voices around you.
And then you inhale again.
And repeat.
As I began studying anatomy, I started to experience this process differently.
The rib cage moves with the breath.
The ribs move.
The diaphragm moves.
And the voice rides upon all of it.
Seen that way, the body chanting a mantra is not an entirely different body from the one practicing asana.
After chanting, I often notice my breathing becoming a little deeper and slower.
For a while, I can still feel the vibration of the sound in my chest.
But there is something I like even more than that.
After a somewhat long and demanding asana practice, everyone sits together again in a circle.
We hear my teacher begin.
One by one, we join him.
And sometimes there comes a point when I can no longer quite tell where my own voice ends and the voice beside me begins.
We practiced in different bodies,
but for a short while we are inside the same breath and the same sound.
I like that.
Knowing a Mantra, and Living With One
My teacher’s book introduces a number of mantras in addition to saha nāvavatu.
I will not reproduce all of them here.
If possible, I would rather encourage someone to encounter them directly—to read them, and perhaps most importantly, to learn them through sound.
I am still learning them myself.
I read the Sanskrit.
I try the pronunciation.
I think about the meaning.
Then I make the sound again.
And sometimes a mantra finds a place in memory before I fully understand what it means.
Perhaps it is because of the sound.
Or perhaps because of the place where I heard it.
Maybe because of the person who was there.
I have experienced this outside the practice room too.
There were times when I drove for about an hour and a half along the California coast with Greg on our way to a workshop.
Greg would sometimes think of a mantra or a verse from a yoga text connected to whatever asana I happened to be struggling with—or whatever problem in life happened to be occupying me at the time—and chant it repeatedly for me.
At first I thought,
What an unusual person.
That was my honest first impression.
But as time passed, something strange happened.
When I remember certain mantras now, I do not remember only the words.
I hear Greg’s voice with them.
I remember the good intention he must have carried when he offered them to me.
And with it comes the light over the California coast and the ocean passing outside the car window, all of it stored together like a photograph in an old album.
Every now and then, I take one of those memories out and look at it again.
Perhaps learning a mantra is something larger than remembering a few lines of Sanskrit correctly.
Breathing with the body.
Making sound together.
Learning from someone.
Sometimes laughing at a sleeping dog’s snores.
And then, one day, hearing that sound again somewhere you never expected it.
I am still learning what that means.
And that is why I begin this first piece with saha nāvavatu.
Not to learn alone,
and not to teach someone else,
but
to learn together….
Om
Śāntiḥ
Śāntiḥ
Śāntiḥ
This is a record of one practitioner’s personal experiences and studies. References to anatomy and yoga are not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment. Some names have been changed out of respect for personal privacy.
Related Reflections
함께 배우기를…
Saha Nāvavatu
나는 요가를 배우는 학생이다.
이 말을 첫 문장으로 쓰고 싶다.
무언가를 가르치기 위해 이곳을 만든 것이 아니다. 아쉬탕가 요가를 수련하면서 내가 움직이는 방식을 다시 들여다보고, 해부학을 공부하면서 내 몸에 대해 배우고, 선생님께 들은 말 한마디를 몇 달이고 되새기며 살아가는 한 학생의 기록을 남기고 싶었다.
그러니 이 글을 읽는 사람도 내게는 학생이라기보다 동료 수련자에 가깝다.
우리는 서로 다른 몸을 가지고 있고, 서로 다른 시간에 매트에 올라서며, 각자의 방식으로 무언가를 배우고 있을 것이다.
그리고 그 생각을 할 때마다 떠오르는 만트라가 하나 있다.
oṁ saha nāvavatu
함께 배우는 소리
나는 이 만트라를 선생님에게 배웠다.
아사나 수련을 마치면 우리는 마룻바닥에 원을 그리고 둘러앉아 함께 만트라를 암송했다.
수련실은 크지 않았다. 열두 명 정도가 들어오면 제법 빼곡했다. 한쪽 벽 전체가 거울이었는데 수련이 끝날 즈음이면 학생들의 몸에서 나온 열기 때문에 한겨울 창문처럼 거울에 김이 서리곤 했다.
조금 전까지 우리는 그 거울 앞에서 줄지어 요가 수련을 하고 있었다.
그러다 마지막 아사나가 끝나면 각자 매트를 떠나 자연스럽게 원을 만들었다.
몸에는 여전히 열기가 남아 있었다. 누군가는 얼굴의 땀을 닦았고, 누군가는 젖은 옷매무새를 정리했다. 조금 가빠졌던 숨도 천천히 제자리로 돌아오고 있었다.
선생님의 따님이 만트라와 그 뜻이 적힌 종이를 한 장씩 나누어 주었다.
받아 들고는 자리를 고쳐 앉는다.
그리고 기다린다.
선생님도 우리와 같은 마룻바닥에 앉아 계셨다.
잠시 후 선생님의 목소리로 첫 소리가 시작되면 우리도 그 뒤를 따라 함께 소리를 냈다.
saha nāvavatu
이 만트라는 스승과 학생이 함께 보호받고, 함께 배우고, 그 배움이 힘 있게 이루어지며 서로를 미워하지 않기를 기원한다.
나는 그 가운데에서도 ‘함께’라는 말이 좋다.
선생님만 아는 것도 아니고, 학생만 노력하는 것도 아니다.
배움이라는 일에 두 사람이 함께 들어간다.
그것은 내가 요가를 바라보는 방식과도 닮아 있다.
나는 배우는 사람이다.
이 글을 읽는 누군가 역시 자신의 자리에서 무언가를 배우는 사람일 것이다.
그래서 나는 이곳에서,
“이렇게 해야 합니다.”
라고 말하기보다는,
“나는 이렇게 배웠습니다.”
그리고,
“내게는 이런 일이 일어났습니다.”라고 말하려 한다.
오래된 만트라와 땀 냄새
그렇다고 우리의 수련이 언제나 심각하고 엄숙했던 것은 아니다.
오히려 그 반대에 가까웠다.
선생님 댁의 반려견 미로가 한몫했을지도 모르겠다.
미로는 만트라 암송의 절차를 우리보다도 더 잘 알고 있는 듯했다.
우리가 원을 만들고 앉기 시작하면 신이 나서 그 사이를 돌아다녔다. 방금 아사나 수련을 끝낸 사람들을 한 명씩 찾아가 반갑게 킁킁거리며 냄새를 확인했다.
제대로 땀을 흘렸는지 검사라도 하는 것처럼.
그러고 나면 미로는 선생님 근처로 돌아와 누군가의 무릎 가까이에 몸을 눕혔다.
그리고 우리가 만트라를 암송하는 동안 낮잠을 잤다.
어떤 날에는 곤하게 코를 골기도 했다.
여러 학생들의 산스크리트어 음성 사이로,
쌔근쌔근….
평화에 관한 한, 어쩌면 미로가 우리보다 한참 앞서 있었는지도 모르겠다.
미로는 나이에 비해 유난히 건강하고 젊어 보였다.
그리고 눈을 마주치면 금세 시선을 피하는 게 아니라, 한참 동안 사람의 눈 너머 어딘가를 바라보는 것처럼 가만히 응시하곤 했다.
친구와 함께 나는 또 다른 사실 하나를 발견하고 웃은 적이 있다.
선생님과 미로가 나란히 있을 때 옆얼굴 윤곽이 묘하게 닮아 있었다.
주인과 개는 오래 함께 살면 닮는다고들 하던데, 정말 그런 일이 일어났나 보다.
미로는 무지개 다리를 건너고 이제 없다.
그래서인지 전에는 그저 웃겼던 그 장면들이 지금은 조금 더 그립고 따뜻하게 기억된다.
김이 서린 거울, 땀에 젖은 우리, 선생님의 목소리, 우리가 따라 내던 만트라 소리...
그리고 그 가운데 편안하게 누워 있던 미로
몸은 변해도, 우리는 다시 같은 소리를 낸다
아사나를 수련하면서 나는 몸이 계속 변한다는 것을 배웠다.
어제 편했던 자세가 오늘은 불편하다.
한동안 닿지 않던 손이 어느 날 갑자기 닿기도 한다. 반대로 별생각 없이 해오던 동작에서 어느 날 전에는 느끼지 못했던 긴장을 발견하기도 한다.
아쉬탕가를 시작한 뒤 내 움직임과 정렬, 가동 범위, 신체의 윤곽도 많이 변했다.
처음에는 차투랑가 단다사나조차 제대로 할 수 없었다.
플랭크에서 팔을 굽혀 몸을 내린다는 것이 내 몸에는 아직 존재하지 않는 움직임처럼 느껴졌다.
팔은 후들거렸고, 천천히 내려가는 대신 팔 길이만큼 아래로 그냥!
떨어졌다.
지금 생각하면 ‘차투랑가를 했다’기보다 중력에 아주 충실했던 셈이다.
그랬던 몸도 수련을 반복하면서 변했다.
앞으로 나이가 더 들면 또 달라질 것이다.
근육의 힘도 변하고, 관절의 가동 범위도 변하고, 호흡도 변할 것이다.
그런데 몸은 그렇게 많은 것이 변하는데, 우리는 늘 다시 같은 만트라를 암송한다.
saha nāvavatu
다음번에도,
saha nāvavatu
그리고 또 다음번에도.
변하는 몸으로 변하지 않는 소리를 반복한다.
어쩌면 바로 그 반복 때문에 내 변화도 조금 더 잘 보이는 것인지 모르겠다.
그런데 몸에 비해 별로 변하지 않은 것도 있다.
마음이다.
처음 수련할 때도 나는 무언가를 이루고 싶었다.
어떤 자세일 수도 있고, 어떤 모습일 수도 있고, 내가 생각하는 어떤 상태일 수도 있었다.
대상만 조금 달라질 뿐 무언가를 붙잡으려는 마음은 놀라울 만큼 익숙한 모습으로 다시 나타난다.
몸은 제법 달라졌는데,
그 마음은 참 꾸준하게 다시 드러난다.
어쩌면 그래서 아직도 배울 것이 있는 걸지도 모르겠다.
소리를 내는 것도 몸의 연습이다
선생님께서 오랜 세월 챈팅을 해온 사람들에 관해 말씀해 주신 적이 있다.
오랫동안 만트라를 암송해온 사람이나 성악, 합창처럼 오랜 시간 목소리를 사용해온 사람들의 목과 가슴을 보면 그 연습으로 길러진 힘을 느낄 수 있다고 하셨다.
그리고 그런 연습이 아사나 수련에도 좋은 영향을 준다고 말이다.
그 이야기가 내게 오래 남았다.
나도 처음에는 챈팅을 주로 ‘말’ 또는 '일'이라고 생각했던 것 같다.
어떤 뜻을 가진 문장을 외우고 암송하는 일...
그런데 직접 해보면 챈팅은 꽤 육체적이다.
숨을 들이마셔야 한다.
내쉬는 숨을 조절해야 한다.
소리를 내야 한다.
옆 사람 호흡과 목소리도 들어야 한다.
그리고 다시 숨을 들이마신다.
그것을 반복한다.
해부학을 공부하면서 이런 과정이 전과 조금 다르게 느껴지기 시작했다.
호흡할 때 흉곽이 움직이고, 갈비뼈가 움직이고, 횡격막이 움직인다.
그 위에 목소리가 실린다.
그러고 보면 만트라를 암송하는 몸도 아사나를 하는 몸과 전혀 다른 몸이 아니다.
챈팅을 하고 난 뒤 평소보다 조금 더 깊고 느린 호흡이 느껴진다.
가슴에는 소리의 진동이 잠시 남아 있다.
하지만 그것보다 내가 더 좋아하는 것은,
조금은 길고 고된 아사나 수련을 함께 마친 사람들이 다시 원을 그리고 앉는 것...
선생님의 선창을 듣고,
하나둘 같은 소리를 내기 시작하는 것...
어느 순간에는 내 목소리와 옆 사람의 목소리가 어디에서 나뉘는지 잘 모르겠을 때도 있다.
각자 다른 몸으로 수련을 했는데 잠시 같은 호흡과 같은 소리 안에 있는 경험...
나는 그것이 좋다.
만트라를 ‘아는 것’과 함께 사는 것
선생님의 책에는 saha nāvavatu 외에도 여러 만트라가 소개되어 있다.
그것들을 이곳에 모두 옮겨 적지는 않겠다.
가능하다면 직접 만나고, 직접 읽어보고, 소리로 배워보기를 권하고 싶다.
나 역시 아직 배우고 있기 때문이다.
산스크리트어를 읽어보고,
발음해보고,
뜻을 생각해보고,
다시 소리를 내본다.
그리고 어떤 만트라는 뜻을 완전히 이해하기도 전에 기억 속 어딘가에 먼저 자리를 잡는다.
아마 소리 때문일 것이다.
아니면 그 소리를 들었던 장소 때문일 수도 있다.
함께 있었던 사람 때문일 수도 있겠다.
나는 수련실 밖에서도 그런 경험을 했다.
선생님의 제자인 그렉과 함께 워크숍 장소로 이동하느라 한 시간 반쯤 차를 몰고 캘리포니아 해안을 지나갈 때가 있었다.
그는 그 당시 내가 씨름하고 있던 아사나나 삶의 문제에 어울리는 만트라나 요가 경전의 한 구절을 떠올려 반복해서 들려주곤 했다.
처음에는 생각했다.
참 특이한 사람이네.
그게 솔직한 첫인상이었다.
그런데 시간이 흐르자 이상한 일이 생겼다.
어떤 만트라를 떠올리면 그 말만 기억나는 것이 아니다.
그렉의 목소리가 함께 들린다.
그가 그 만트라를 들려주며 품었을 좋은 의도도 떠오른다.
그리고 자동차 창밖으로 지나가던 캘리포니아 해안의 빛과 바다가 오래된 앨범 속 사진처럼 같이 떠오른다.
때때로 나는 그 기억을 사진 한 장 꺼내보듯 다시 꺼내본다.
아마 만트라를 배운다는 것은 정확한 산스크리트어 몇 줄을 기억하는 것보다 조금 더 큰 일인지도 모르겠다.
몸으로 호흡하고,
함께 소리를 내고,
누군가에게 배우고,
가끔은 개의 코골이를 들으며 웃고,
그리고 어느 날 전혀 예상하지 못한 곳에서 그 소리를 다시 떠올리는 것.
나는 아직 그것을 배우고 있다.
그래서 첫 글을 saha nāvavatu로 시작한다.
혼자 배우기 위해서도,
누군가를 가르치기 위해서도 아니라,
함께 배우기 위해서….
Om
Śāntiḥ
Śāntiḥ
Śāntiḥ
이 글은 한 수련자의 개인적인 경험과 공부를 기록한 것입니다. 해부학과 요가에 관한 내용은 의료적 진단이나 치료를 대신하지 않습니다. 개인의 사생활을 존중하기 위해 일부 이름은 가명으로 표기합니다.
.jpg)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment