Monday, September 7, 2026

Nāḍī Śodhana — Returning to Center Through the Breath | 나디 쇼다나 — 숨을 통해 중심으로...

 

Breathing Through One Side, and Back to Center

Even after finishing Yoga practice, it can feel as though movement is still lingering inside the body. There may still be tension in the muscles, the breath may be a little rough, and the postures I was doing only moments ago may continue circling through my mind. What went well, what did not, whether I should have done a little more, why my body felt the way it did that day. My body may be sitting quietly on the mat, but my mind sometimes feels as though it has not yet finished practicing.

At times like this, I turn to the breath.

I inhale through one nostril and exhale through the other. Then I inhale again through that side and return to the first nostril. From right to left, then from left to right. The breath remains one continuous breath, but the path it takes alternates.

At first, I notice the difference between the two sides of the nose. Breath may pass easily through one side while the other feels narrower. Even the length and quality of the breath can feel different. After a few rounds, however, I begin to realize that I am not simply observing my nostrils. I notice how much tension I am carrying in my shoulders, whether there is unnecessary effort in my face, and whether my desire to make the breath longer is causing me to push it instead.

And above all, what state my mind is in right now.


The Breath Moves from Side to Side

We may assume that both nostrils are always equally open, but when we close them one at a time and breathe through each side separately, the difference can be surprisingly clear.

Traditional Svara Yoga pays close attention to the way the dominant flow of breath alternates between the left and right nostrils. It describes this predominance as shifting from one side to the other in recurring cycles, and it also contains practices for observing and intentionally influencing that flow.

I found this fascinating.

Breathing is so ordinary that most of us rarely stop to consider which nostril is carrying more of the breath at any particular moment. But the moment we begin breathing through one side at a time, differences that usually remain unnoticed become visible.

Yoga has traditionally described these patterns through the language of nāḍī and prāṇa. I do not understand nāḍī to be identical to the nerves or blood vessels of modern anatomy. I think of it more as a map that Yoga has used to observe the body, breath, and energy.

A map is not the land itself.

But it can help us see where we are.


The Breathing Practice I Learned

The method I learned is presented in The Definitive Guide to Therapeutic & Traditional Yoga, written by Manju Jois and Greg Tebb, under the heading Sūrya Bhedana | Nāḍī Śodhana.

The book describes the use of the hands, the sequence of alternating breaths, kumbhaka, or the temporary retention of the breath, and the traditional explanations surrounding the practice in considerable detail.

I do not intend to reproduce the book step by step here.

For one thing, the book already exists. If someone is interested, it is far better to read the source itself.

But there is another, more important reason.

Prāṇāyāma is very different when learned from a person rather than only from a page.

A book can tell us which finger closes which nostril. A diagram can show which side to inhale through and which side to exhale through. But a book sitting beside me cannot tell whether my breathing has become too rough, whether unnecessary tension has appeared in my face, neck, or posture, or whether I am practicing the breath or simply wrestling with it.

This becomes even more important when kumbhaka is introduced. For me, the important question is not how long I can hold the breath, but how the body and mind are resting within that pause.

For that reason, if someone is interested in this practice, I would encourage learning it directly from a teacher whenever possible. I also teach this breathing practice based on the method I learned from my teacher, and I believe that students who have learned and practiced that method carefully can continue to transmit it, each with their own responsibility and experience.

A book can be an excellent map.

But asking directions from someone who has actually walked the road is something different.


Seeing the Breath Through the Hands

In group classes, I sometimes practice making the breath visible through movement.

Of course, I do not mean that the air itself becomes visible.

As we inhale slowly together, we move our hands. They may rise gradually, almost like a movement from Tai Chi, or expand gently outward to the sides. As we exhale, the hands return.

First, everyone moves at a slightly different pace. Some hands move quickly, some hesitate, and sometimes the hands begin to move before the breath itself.

Then something interesting begins to happen.

As time passes, the hands become slower. The movements soften, and the length of the breathing gradually becomes more even. No one has been instructed to synchronize with anyone else, yet at some point the people in the room begin to find a similar rhythm.

I love watching that.

People may differ in age, gender, body, and years of Yoga experience. Yet for a little while, everyone is simply inhaling together, exhaling, and inhaling again. Inside that simple rhythm, many of the differences we brought into the room become a little less important.

It no longer matters who can perform the more difficult Yoga posture.

It no longer matters who is more flexible.

Before the simple act of breathing, we can all become beginners again.


The Moment the Breath Stops

One part of alternate-nostril breathing that I find especially interesting is kumbhaka.

There is a point after the inhalation when the breath rests for a moment.

From the outside, nothing seems to be happening. Inside, however, quite a lot may be happening. Thoughts appear from moment to moment.

Should I breathe now?

Can I stay a little longer?

Am I pushing too hard?

Should I hold just a little more?

And in that moment, something reveals itself even before the breath does.

How am I treating myself?

Do I believe that holding longer means I am doing better? Is my body already saying that it is uncomfortable while I continue pushing toward some goal? Or can I listen to the body and stop when enough is enough?

I use kumbhaka as a way of observing myself. The goal is not to hold the breath for as long as possible. If anything, I remain watchful for the tendency to push too hard.

And then, sometimes, the body settles comfortably into the pause.

For a moment, the feeling of forcing disappears.

And the mind rests there with the body.

I love that moment.

The body is still.

The breath is briefly still.

And the mind does not need to go anywhere.

It may last only a short time, but it is a moment when staying still does not feel difficult.


Before Practice and After Practice

The change I experience most consistently with this breathing practice is the difference between before and after.

Before beginning, there is usually some degree of tension in the body and mind. Thoughts may be scattered, and if I have just finished an āsana practice, the body may still carry heat and movement.

After several rounds of alternate-nostril breathing, those things begin to settle. The breath becomes quieter, tension in the body softens, and thoughts become less scattered.

This is not the same as feeling sleepy or dull.

It feels much closer to being clearly awake.

There is also concentration, but not the kind that becomes narrow and fixated on a single point. To me, it feels more like the center becoming steadier. I can remain aware of what is around me without being so easily pulled away. Neither body nor mind seems to be leaning too far in one direction, and the whole begins to settle back into its own place.

I think of that as balance.


Balance Is Not a Point Exactly in the Middle

When we hear the word balance, we often imagine a position exactly in the middle.

Neither left nor right.

Somewhere precisely between the two.

But the balance I experience through practice feels a little different.

Balance does not always mean making both sides exactly fifty-fifty. One nostril being more open than the other does not necessarily mean something is wrong. Nor does the mind leaning temporarily in one direction mean that the practice has failed.

For me, balance is closer to being able to see the whole without becoming trapped in extremes or binary thinking.

To see the left without forgetting the right. To recognize tension while also remembering the possibility of ease. To know how to use strength while also knowing how to release it. To hold the possibility that I may be right while also leaving room for the possibility that I may be wrong.

That is why the simple act of moving the breath from right to left and left to right can sometimes feel like a much larger question.

Have I been staying on one side for too long?


From Yoga to Seon

I like to practice this breathing after finishing my Yoga postures, and then continue into about ten minutes of seated Seon meditation.

Without some kind of transition, an āsana practice can sometimes end as little more than physical fatigue. The body has worked hard, the muscles are tired, and what remains may simply be the satisfaction of thinking, “Oh, I finished my practice today.”

Instead of immediately getting up and rolling away the mat, I sit for a while.

I practice alternate-nostril breathing.

I allow the body and mind to settle.

Then I enter seated meditation from there.

Prāṇāyāma and Seon meditation are not the same practice.

In Yoga, there are practices in which the path and rhythm of the breath are intentionally shaped. In the Seon meditation I learned from my monk teacher, we do not manipulate the breath in that way. We simply sit with the breath already entering and leaving.

For me, however, a natural bridge has formed between the two practices.

After alternate-nostril breathing has helped settle a scattered body and mind, there is a little less that I feel compelled to organize once I sit down.

I am already, in some small way, ready to sit.


Returning to Center Through the Breath

When I begin alternate-nostril breathing, the first thing I encounter is difference.

Right and left.

Open and constricted.

Tension and release.

The moving mind and the resting mind.

At first, these things can appear to be opposites. But as the practice deepens, I begin to feel that one does not have to be eliminated in order for the other to exist.

The breath moves from right to left.

Then from left back to right.

It does not remain forever on either side.

And through it all, breathing continues.

Life may not be so different.

Good days and difficult days.

Certainty and doubt.

Success and failure.

Praise and criticism.

We constantly name one side and try to remain there.

But the breath keeps crossing over to the other side.

So for me, the balance of alternate-nostril breathing is not about finding a perfect midpoint.

It is recognizing when I have become tilted toward one side, and returning to a place from which I can see the whole again.

I inhale.

I rest for a moment.

I exhale.

I inhale again through the other side.

And I return once more.

Perhaps that is why, after this simple breathing practice, it sometimes feels as though not only my body, but my mind as well, has settled a little more firmly into its center.

 


This is a record of one practitioner’s personal experiences and studies. References to anatomy and yoga are not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment. Some names have been changed out of respect for personal privacy.

 

Related Reflections

Learning Together… Saha Nāvavatu
Walking, Standing, Sitting, and Lying Down
After the Mat is Rolled Up

한쪽으로 숨, 그리고 다시 중심으로

요가 수련을 마친 뒤에도 몸 안에는 아직 움직임이 남아 있는 것처럼 느껴질 때가 있다. 근육에는 긴장이 남아 있고, 호흡은 조금 거칠고, 머릿속에는 방금 전까지 했던 자세들이 계속 돌아다닌다. 잘된 것과 잘되지 않은 것, 조금 더 해볼 걸 그랬나하는 생각, 오늘 몸이 왜 이랬을까 하는 생각까지. 몸은 매트 위에 가만히 앉았는데 마음은 아직 수련을 끝내지 못한 것처럼 느껴진다.

그럴 때 나는 호흡으로 들어간다.

한쪽 콧구멍으로 숨을 들이쉬고, 반대쪽으로 내쉰다. 다시 그쪽으로 들이쉬고, 처음의 콧구멍으로 돌아온다. 오른쪽에서 왼쪽으로, 왼쪽에서 오른쪽으로. 숨은 계속 하나인데 지나가는 길은 번갈아 바뀐다.

처음에는 코의 좌우 차이가 느껴진다. 어느 쪽은 숨이 쉽게 지나가고, 어느 쪽은 조금 비좁게 느껴진다. 호흡의 길이도 다르다. 그리고 몇 번 호흡을 이어가보면 코만 관찰하고 있는 것이 아니라는 사실을 알게 된다. 어깨는 얼마나 긴장하고 있는지, 얼굴에는 힘이 들어가 있지 않은지, 숨을 길게 쉬겠다는 욕심 때문에 억지로 밀어붙이고 있지는 않은지.

그리고 무엇보다, 지금 마음이 어떤 상태인지.


숨도 좌우로 움직인다

두 콧구멍은 늘 똑같이 열려 있을 것 같지만, 실제로 하나씩 막아 숨을 쉬어보면 차이는 생각보다 분명하다. 전통적인 Svara Yoga에서는 호흡이 좌우 콧구멍을 번갈아 우세하게 흐르는 현상을 중요한 관찰 대상으로 삼고, 일정한 주기로 주된 흐름이 한쪽에서 다른 쪽으로 바뀐다고 설명한다. 또한 수행을 통해 그 흐름을 관찰하거나 바꾸는 방법도 전해진다.

나는 이런 설명이 흥미로웠다. 우리는 평소 숨을 너무 당연하게 쉬기 때문에 어느 쪽 콧구멍 위주로 숨이 지나가는지 거의 생각하지 않는다. 그런데 한쪽씩 번갈아 숨을 쉬기 시작하는 순간, 평소에는 보이지 않던 차이가 드러난다.

요가에서는 이러한 흐름을 nāḍī와 prāṇa라는 전통적인 언어로 설명해왔다. 나는 nāḍī를 현대 해부학의 신경이나 혈관과 같은 것이라고 생각하지 않는다. 몸과 호흡, 에너지를 바라보는데 요가가 사용해온 지도와 같다고 본다.

지도는 실제 땅 그 자체는 아니다. 하지만 우리가 어디 있는지를 보는 데 도움을 줄 수는 있다.


내가 배운 호흡

내가 배운 방법은 Manju Jois와 Greg Tebb가 함께 쓴 책, The Definitive Guide to Therapeutic & Traditional Yoga에 Sūrya Bhedana | Nadi Śodhana라는 이름으로 소개되어 있다. 책에는 손을 사용하는 방법부터 좌우 호흡의 순서, kumbhaka라고 하는 호흡을 잠시 머무르게 하는 방법, 그리고 이 수련에 대한 전통적인 설명까지 상세히 적혀 있다.

이 글에서는 책의 내용을 하나하나 설명하려고 하지 않겠다. 첫째는 책이 있기 때문이다. 궁금하다면 원전을 직접 읽어보는 편이 훨씬 좋다.

그리고 더 중요한 이유가 있다.

Prāṇāyāma는 글로 읽는 것과 사람에게 직접 배우는 것이 크게 다르다.

어느 손가락으로 어느 콧구멍을 막는지는 책으로 읽어도 알 수 있다. 숨을 어느 쪽으로 들이쉬고 내쉬는지도 그림으로 설명할 수 있다. 하지만 내 호흡이 지금 너무 거칠지는 않은지, 얼굴이나 목 등 자세에 불필요한 긴장이 생기지는 않았는지, 호흡을 수련하는 것이 아니라 호흡과 씨름하고 있는 것은 아닌지는 책이 옆에서 알려줄 수 없다.

특히 kumbhaka가 들어가면 더 그렇다. 얼마나 오래 참느냐가 중요한 것이 아니라, 몸과 마음이 그 정지 안에서 어떻게 머무르는가가 내게는 훨씬 중요하다.

그래서 이 수련에 관심이 있다면 가능하면 직접 배울 것을 권하고 싶다. 나 역시 선생님에게 배운 방식을 기본으로 삼아 이 호흡을 전하고 있고, 그 가르침을 직접 배우고 충분히 익혀온 제자들도 각자의 책임 안에서 그 방식을 이어갈 수 있으리라 생각한다.

책은 아주 좋은 지도다.

하지만 지도를 들고 실제 길을 걸어본 사람에게 길을 묻는 것은 또 다른 일이다.


손으로 호흡을 본다

그룹 수업에서는 때때로 숨을 눈으로 볼 수 있는 연습을 함께 해본다. 물론 실제 공기가 보인다는 뜻은 아니다.

학생들과 함께 천천히 숨을 들이쉴 때 손을 움직인다. 태극권의 동작을 보는 것처럼 손이 천천히 올라가기도 하고, 좌우로 부드럽게 넓어지기도 한다. 내쉴 때는 다시 돌아온다.

처음에는 사람마다 속도가 조금씩 다르다. 어떤 손은 빠르고, 어떤 손은 조금 머뭇거리고, 어떤 사람은 자신의 호흡보다 손을 먼저 움직인다.

그러다가 시간이 지나면 재미있는 일이 생긴다. 여러 사람의 손이 점점 느려지고, 움직임의 폭이 부드러워지고, 호흡의 길이도 조금씩 일정해진다. 서로 맞추라고 한 것도 아닌데 어느 순간 방 안에 있는 여러 사람의 움직임이 비슷한 리듬을 찾는다.

나는 그 광경을 좋아한다.

나이도 다르고, 성별도 다르고, 몸도 다르고, 요가를 수련해온 시간도 다르다. 그런데 잠시 동안은 모두 함께 숨을 들이쉬고, 내쉬고, 다시 들이쉰다. 그 단순한 리듬 안에서는 우리가 가지고 들어온 많은 차이들이 조금 덜 중요해진다.

누가 더 어려운 요가 자세를 하는지도 중요하지 않다. 누가 더 유연한지도 중요하지 않다.

숨을 쉬는 일 앞에서는 모두 다시 초심자가 될 수 있다.


숨이 멈추는 순간

교대호흡에서 내가 특히 흥미롭게 느끼는 부분 중 하나는 kumbhaka다. 숨을 들이쉰 뒤 잠시 머무는 지점.

밖에서는 아무 일도 일어나지 않는 것처럼 보인다. 그런데 안에서는 꽤 많은 일이 일어난다. 찰나찰나 생각이 지나간다.

이제 숨을 쉬어야 하나. 조금 더 있어도 괜찮나. 내가 무리하고 있지는 않나. 조금 더 버텨볼까.

그 순간 호흡보다 먼저 드러나는 것이 있다.

내가 나를 어떻게 대하고 있는가.

더 오래 해야 잘하는 것처럼 느끼는지, 이미 몸이 불편하다고 말하고 있는데도 목표를 향해 밀어붙이는지, 아니면 몸의 상태를 들으며 충분한 곳에서 멈출 수 있는지.

Kumbhaka로 자신을 관찰한다. 호흡을 오래 붙잡는 것이 목표가 아니다. 오히려 너무 몰아붙이고 있지는 않은지 늘 경계한다.

그러다가 어떤 순간에는 몸이 호흡의 정지 안에서 편안하게 머문다. 억지로 버티고 있다는 느낌이 잠시 사라진다. 그리고 마음도 그곳에 함께 머문다.

나는 그 순간을 좋아한다.

몸은 움직이지 않고, 숨도 잠시 움직이지 않고, 마음도 굳이 어디로 갈 필요가 없다.

아주 짧은 순간이지만, 머무르는 것이 힘들지 않은 순간.


수련 전과 수련 후

이 호흡에서 내가 가장 꾸준히 경험하는 변화는 수련 전과 후의 차이다.

시작하기 전에는 몸과 마음에 어느 정도 긴장이 있다. 생각이 조금 산란할 수도 있고, 요가 수련을 막 끝냈다면 몸에는 아직 열과 움직임이 남아 있을 수도 있다.

교대호흡을 몇 차례 이어가면 그것들이 조금씩 정돈된다. 호흡은 차분해지고, 몸의 긴장은 줄어들고, 머릿속의 생각은 덜 흩어진다.

그렇다고 졸리거나 멍해지는 느낌과는 다르다. 오히려 맑게 깨어 있는 쪽에 가깝다.

집중도 생긴다. 하지만 무언가 하나만 뚫어져라 바라보는 지나친 집중은 아니다. 내게는 중심이 조금 더 단단해지는 느낌이다. 주변을 볼 수 있으면서도 흔들리지 않는 것. 몸과 마음 어느 한쪽이 앞으로 너무 튀어나가지 않고, 전체가 자기 자리를 다시 찾는 느낌.

나는 그것을 균형이라고 생각한다.


균형은 가운데 점이 아니다

균형이라는 말을 들으면 흔히 정확히 가운데 있는 상태를 떠올린다. 왼쪽도 아니고 오른쪽도 아닌 중간.

하지만 내가 수련하면서 느끼는 균형은 조금 다르다.

균형은 항상 양쪽을 정확히 50대 50으로 만드는 것이 아니다. 한쪽 콧구멍이 더 열려 있다고 해서 잘못된 것도 아니고, 마음이 잠시 한쪽으로 기울었다고 해서 수행이 실패한 것도 아니다.

내게 균형은 극단이나 이분법에 붙잡히지 않고 전체를 볼 수 있는 상태에 가깝다.

왼쪽을 보되 오른쪽을 잊지 않는 것. 긴장을 보되 편안함이라는 다른 가능성도 함께 보는 것. 힘을 쓰되 놓는 힘도 아는 것. 내가 옳을 수 있다는 가능성과, 내가 틀릴 수도 있다는 가능성을 동시에 품는 것.

그래서 교대호흡을 하면서 오른쪽과 왼쪽을 오가는 단순한 행위가 때로는 훨씬 큰 질문처럼 느껴진다.

나는 지금 어느 한쪽에 너무 오래 머물러 있지는 않은가.


Yoga에서 Seon으로

나는 요가 자세 수련을 마친 뒤에 이 호흡을 하고, 이어서 약 10분 정도 명상의 시간으로 좌선을 하는 흐름을 좋아한다.

자칫하면 요가 수련이 단순한 피로감으로 끝날 수도 있다. 몸은 많은 일을 했고, 근육은 지쳤고, “오늘 수련도 끝냈다”는 성취감만 남을 수도 있다.

그럴 때 바로 일어나 매트를 접는 대신 잠시 앉는다. 교대호흡을 한다. 몸과 마음을 정돈한다. 그리고 그 상태에서 좌선으로 들어간다.

Prāṇāyāma와 선명상이 같은 수행은 아니다. 요가에서는 숨의 길과 리듬을 의도적으로 다루는 면이 있다. 반면 내가 스님에게 배운 선명상에서는 호흡을 그렇게 조작하지 않는다. 그냥 들어오고 나가는 숨과 함께 앉는다.

내게는 두 수련 사이에는 자연스러운 다리가 생긴 듯하다. 교대호흡을 하며 산란했던 몸과 마음을 정돈하고 나면, 좌선에서 무언가를 정리하려고 애써야 할 일이 조금 줄어든다.

이미 조금 앉을 준비가 되어 있는 것이다.


숨을 통해 중심으로 돌아오는 일

교대호흡을 시작하면 나는 먼저 차이를 만난다.

오른쪽과 왼쪽. 열려 있는 곳과 답답한 곳. 긴장과 이완. 움직이는 마음과 머무르는 마음.

처음에는 이것들이 서로 반대처럼 보인다. 하지만 수련이 조금 깊어지면 어느 하나를 없애야 다른 하나를 얻는 것은 아니라는 생각이 든다.

오른쪽에서 왼쪽으로 간다. 왼쪽에서 다시 오른쪽으로 돌아온다. 어느 쪽에도 영원히 머물지 않는다.

그 사이에서 호흡은 계속된다.

삶도 아마 크게 다르지 않을 것이다. 좋은 날과 좋지 않은 날, 확신과 의심, 성공과 실패, 칭찬과 비판. 우리는 자꾸 한쪽에 이름을 붙이고 그곳에 머물고 싶어 한다.

하지만 호흡은 계속 반대쪽으로 건너간다.

그래서 지금 내게 교대호흡의 균형은 완벽한 중간점을 찾는 일이 아니다.

한쪽에 치우쳤다는 것을 알아차리고, 다시 전체를 볼 수 있는 자리로 돌아오는 일.

숨을 들이쉰다.

잠시 머문다.

내쉰다.

반대쪽으로 다시 들이쉰다.

그리고 또 돌아온다.

아마 그래서 이 단순한 호흡을 하고 나면, 몸뿐 아니라 마음도 조금 더 가운데에 앉아 있는 것처럼 느껴지는지도 모르겠다.

 


이 글은 한 수련자의 개인적인 경험과 공부를 기록한 것입니다. 해부학과 요가에 관한 내용은 의료적 진단이나 치료를 대신하지 않습니다. 개인의 사생활을 존중하기 위해 일부 이름은 가명으로 표기합니다.


함께 읽어볼 글

함께 배우기를… Saha Nāvavatu 
行住坐臥 걷고, 서고, 앉고, 눕다
매트를 접은 뒤에도

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Does the Body Remember? | 몸은 무엇을 기억하고 있을까

  One of the hardest kinds of books for me to read is a book about trauma. When I read Peter A. Levine’s Waking the Tiger: Healing Traum...