Sunday, August 30, 2026

Dṛṣṭi — Where Am I Looking? | 드리시티 — 나는 어디를 보고 있는가?


Dṛṣṭi — Where Am I Looking?

When you first begin learning Ashtanga Yoga, there is quite a lot to do with just one body.

Inhale, exhale, place the feet, place the hands, and now you are even told where to look.

Dṛṣṭi.
When I first learned this word, Dṛṣṭi seemed very simple to me.

Looking at the prescribed point for each posture.

If the instruction was to look at the thumbs, I looked at the thumbs. If it was to look at the tip of the nose, I looked at the tip of the nose. If it was to look at the toes, I looked at the toes. At the time, I did not think very deeply about what it meant. I accepted it almost as a rule.


Because that was how I had learned it. Because that was how Ashtanga Yoga was done.

In many classes, it is easy to learn this way. In a Led Class with dozens of people moving together, it is realistically difficult to explain the details of each individual body.

There is a prescribed count, a prescribed sequence, a place for the hands, a place for the feet, and a place to look.

When many people have to move together, those rules are certainly useful for guiding the class. But forcing the Dṛṣṭi when the rest of my body was not yet aligned for the posture was an entirely different scenario.

My eyes were working very hard to look where I thought they were supposed to look, while my neck and shoulders were telling a completely different story. Perhaps that was why my trapezius muscles and the area around my shoulder blades had been crying out for years.


The Nine Dṛṣṭis of Ashtanga Yoga

Ashtanga Yoga uses nine Dṛṣṭis, or directions in which the gaze is placed.

(In this article, I am using IAST forms that preserve Sanskrit grammar as much as possible.)

nāsāgre — at the tip of the nose

bhrūmadhye — between the eyebrows

nābhicakre — at the navel

hastāgre — at the fingertips

pādayor agre — at the tips of both feet

aṅguṣṭhayoḥ — at the two thumbs

ūrdhvam — upward

dakṣiṇapārśve — to the right

vāmapārśve — to the left

Each posture has its corresponding Dṛṣṭi. That does not mean staring at the target with tremendous effort. The gaze rests there naturally, and stays.

At first, even this is quite a lot. You have to remember the posture, breathe appropriately, maintain your balance, and then remember where you are supposed to be looking. There is a surprising amount to do with one body.

But over time, I began to feel that Dṛṣṭi was not simply a matter of where I placed my eyes. When the gaze changes, the position of the head changes. When the head and neck move, the shoulders and spine change, and sometimes the alignment of the entire body changes with them.

Balance changes. Breath changes. And above all, attention changes.

In the traditional language of Yoga, this is sometimes described as bringing the body, breath, and gazing into one direction so that the flow of prāṇa becomes more ordered.

Whether I call it energy, the direction of force, or the flow of breath, there is one thing I have clearly felt through practice.

Where I place my gaze can change my entire body.


When My Trapezius Finally Softened

When I began practicing in a small group of students at my teacher’s home, I encountered an approach that was almost the opposite of what I had known before.

At the time, I considered myself a fairly diligent student. Almost like memorizing a textbook, I had learned:

Ashtanga is supposed to be done this way.

Hands here, feet here, gaze here, sequence like this...

I arrived at my teacher’s home carrying quite a few of these “rules” in my head.

But my teacher told us that Yoga was not about forcing hands and feet into prescribed places. When speaking about Sūrya Namaskāra, my teacher described a movement in which the whole body flows naturally, almost like an old form of bowing practice. Every person has a different body, and every group practicing together is different, so even the same practice may vary a little.

That was when the “correct answers” I thought I knew began to loosen one by one. Curiously, my trapezius muscles loosened with them. After years of protesting so loudly, they gradually became softer and more comfortable. Perhaps my shoulders had finally begun to agree with Yoga philosophy.

I also began to see Dṛṣṭi differently. Not as something that meant looking at the prescribed point no matter what, but as

a gaze that helps the whole body find where it is going…

Thinking of it this way made it feel less as if I were practicing with my eyes separately from the rest of my body.


When the Eyes Lose Their Way

Dṛṣṭi becomes most interesting not when I am keeping it perfectly, but when I lose it.

In a comfortable posture, keeping the eyes in one place is not particularly difficult. But things change in inversions or deep backbends, when psychological tension begins to rise along with physical challenges.

Sometimes the familiar expression fits perfectly, my eyes go blank with panic.

For a moment I am no longer sure where my body is in space. The breath becomes unsettled, the eyes lose their destination, and the gaze begins to wander. Sometimes it feels as though the eyes are looking for an escape route before the body does. In those moments, returning to the original Dṛṣṭi is quite important for me. I place the gaze again, find the breath, and check the direction of the body.

Then I ask whether I should go deeper, or whether it is time to come back. If necessary, I let go of the desire to continue and return safely to where I began. In my own experience, this process has helped me avoid continuing a movement recklessly and return with greater safety and less risk of injury.

Dṛṣṭi sometimes feels less like an ornament for completing a posture, and more like a signpost that helps me find my way back when I am lost. The body may still be inside the posture, while the mind has already run somewhere else.

Dṛṣṭi catches me doing it.


A Headstand in the Mirror

Mirrors are interesting things.

For quite a long time after I began practicing, the same thing kept happening when I practiced headstand.

I rise slowly, feeling the alignment from inside the body. I feel the pressure into the floor,

observe the shoulders and spine, find the position of the pelvis and legs,

and follow the breath. Then, once I feel reasonably stable, a question suddenly appears.

So how well am I doing?

Wanting to check the version of myself in the mirror, my eyes move toward it. And in that instant, something in the flow I had just been following seems to snap.

My balance shifts. My breathing changes. The direction of effort changes. The alignment subtly changes. Most of all, the attention that had been inside the body suddenly moves outside.

To exaggerate slightly, my mind has a brief out-of-body experience.

A moment ago I was doing a headstand, and suddenly I become the mirror, watching myself inside it. The positions of protagonist and observer become confused for an instant. And once attention has moved outside the body, bringing it back in is more difficult than I expect.

That does not mean the mirror is bad. A mirror can be a very useful tool. It can show me how different what I feel is from what is actually visible. I can notice asymmetries. I can discover that while I thought I was perfectly straight, I was actually leaning to one side. It is much like recording a movement and studying the video later. So the mirror itself is not the problem.

Why am I looking in the mirror right now?

Looking in order to study alignment, and looking in order to see how well I am doing—from the outside they may look exactly the same, but they are quite different gazes.


Seeing the Same Trikoṇāsana Differently

Over years of practice, Dṛṣṭi began to leave me with a wider question.

Practice naturally led me to ask:

Where am I placing my attention right now?

Interestingly, the same posture could look completely different depending on what I happened to be studying at the time.

Take Trikoṇāsana.

At first, I see the form. Where are the feet? How far does the hand reach down? How straight is the upper arm? But through studying anatomy, I began to understand that the alignment of the feet was not simply there to create a beautiful shape. The direction of the feet and the way they press into the ground guide the knees and hip joints, and influence the way the pelvis moves and opens.

The Dṛṣṭi toward the raised hand is also not simply a matter of sending the eyes upward. The neck moves. The shoulder moves. The ribs and thorax respond with it. A shift in gaze changes the relationship of the entire body. When I began studying fascial connections, I saw another Trikoṇāsana.

Starting from the inner heel, through the ankle, knee, groin, side body, chest, and into the inner arm, I began to feel connections traveling through the body.

Looking at the body through the map of traditional East Asian meridians brings still another set of questions.

When studying the work of people who have explored whole-body organization, sensation, and movement through approaches such as Rolfing and Soma, the same posture begins to show another face.

When reading approaches that explore the relationship between the body and trauma, I begin to wonder not only which muscles are working, but also what the body is allowing and what it may be resisting.

It is the same body. The same Trikoṇāsana.

And yet the movement can change dramatically depending on where I place my attention.

Has the body changed? Or has the one who is looking changed?

Probably both.


Changing Just One Thing in Handstand: the Eyes

One of the postures in which I feel the relationship between Dṛṣṭi and the whole body most clearly is Handstand.

When I look forward, and when I draw the gaze inward toward the tip of the nose, the first thing that changes is the alignment of the spine. From a more neutral position, as the gaze begins to move forward, the spine also begins to move toward extension. This does not simply mean bending the lower back. The shoulders and pelvis open together, while at the same time there must be enough strength to contain and support that opening. Only the gaze has changed, yet the relationship between the head and neck, the spine, the shoulders and pelvis changes with it.

So in Handstand, Dṛṣṭi does not feel like merely a point to look at so I do not fall. It feels more like a small starting point that helps determine the direction of the whole body. What I have experienced as “proper energetic alignment” feels very far from straining or forcing.

In fact, it feels almost like the opposite.

Like water flowing. Like the line of a dance coming alive.

There is definitely effort, but the different forces do not seem to fight one another. The whole body connects in one direction, and the breath and movement settle into that direction together.

In the language of Yoga, this could be described as the flow of prāṇa. It could also be described through the mechanics of movement. Through breath and pressure,or through the relationships between joints and muscles.

To me, all of these descriptions are true in their own way.


Sitting Without Closing the Eyes

Perhaps because of my experience practicing Dṛṣṭi, the way the eyes are used in seated Seon meditation felt natural to me.

When people hear the word meditation, many first imagine someone sitting quietly with closed eyes. But in Seon practice, the eyes are not completely shut.

The Zuòchán Yí (坐禪儀), a meditation text by the Song-dynasty monk Changlu Zongze (長蘆宗賾), gives quite specific instructions for the sitting posture.

The body should not lean to the left or right, nor tip forward or backward. The waist and spine, head and neck are kept upright. The ears align with the shoulders, and the nose with the navel.

Then it says very simply about the eyes:

目須微開. The eyes should remain slightly open.

When I learned seated meditation from my Seon teacher, Ven. Woongsahn, I was taught much the same way.

The gaze naturally falls toward the floor a short distance ahead. There is no need to force the eyes into an especially sharp focus. If they become tired, they can close briefly and then open again. The point was not to struggle to keep the eyelids open at all costs My teacher told me that practicing with the eyes open can be very helpful in ordinary life.

That made immediate sense to me. I had already been practicing Yoga with my eyes open all along. Meditation is not about closing the eyes and making the world disappear.

The world is still in front of us. There is light. There is sound. But simply because something appears does not mean we have to follow it.

Dṛṣṭi in Ashtanga Yoga and seated Seon meditation are not the same practice. Their methods are different. Their histories are different. Their contexts and aims are different. And yet, through both practices, I sometimes meet a similar question.

My eyes are open, but what am I following?


Placing the Body First

One thing that interested me when reading the Zuòchán Yí was that before saying much about what to do with the mind, it gives very concrete instructions about the body.

How to sit, where to place the waist, how to hold the head, how to position the eyes.

Ashtanga Yoga has something similar.

Place the feet. Place the hands. Place the spine. Place the breath. Place the gaze.

 

And then, watch how the mind moves.

Through practice, I repeatedly feel that body and mind are not completely separate things.

When posture changes, breathing changes. When breathing changes, the mind changes. When the eyes wander, attention scatters with them. When the gaze settles again, the body begins to return as well.

So what I now call “proper alignment” is a little different from making the body perfectly straight in a photograph.

Body and breath, force and prāṇa, gaze and attention, not drifting too far apart from one another, while moving farther away from the feeling of forcing and straining.

Like water flowing, like the line of a dance continuing, the whole body naturally finding one direction. To me, that is proper alignment.


Can Equanimity Be Trained Through the Eyes?

At first, I thought Dṛṣṭi was simply a method for concentration.

Now the word equanimity also comes to mind.

When everything is comfortable, looking at one prescribed point is not very difficult.

But what about when I am shaken? When I am afraid? When something is not working? When I feel as though I am falling behind the person next to me? When I receive praise? When someone makes me uncomfortable? Can I still return without being swept away?

Not being shaken does not mean that nothing ever happens. It means noticing that I have been shaken, and returning. Scattering again, and returning again.

Dṛṣṭi sometimes feels like that to me. The practice is not becoming someone whose gaze never wavers. It is noticing when it has wandered. And returning.

I experience something similar when I practice with other people. Sometimes people openly express dissatisfaction with their posture, their movement, or simply with the body they have that day.

“I can’t do this.”

“This part just won’t work.”

In those moments, there is not always a need to push harder into the same posture. We may lower the difficulty, reduce the depth, try another way of moving, or sometimes borrow a movement from an entirely different series. I try to make the atmosphere a little warmer and more spacious. Often, the expression on the other person’s face changes almost immediately.

“Oh, I can do this.”

“This way works. It actually feels good.”

And what happens next is even more interesting. Without being told, they begin experimenting on their own. They move a little differently, change the angle, try another possibility. The body has not suddenly become somebody else’s body. Nor have they suddenly conquered the posture that seemed impossible a moment ago. Only the place they were looking from has changed.

From “what I cannot do” to “what is possible right now.”

When the gaze changes, the atmosphere changes. And when the atmosphere changes, movement sometimes changes with it. Perhaps equanimity is not a state in which nothing ever shakes us, but something closer to the ability to find a place to look again, even while we are being shaken.


Where Am I Looking?

When I first learned Dṛṣṭi, the question was very simple.

Where am I supposed to look?

The tip of the nose. Between the eyebrows. The navel. The fingertips. The toes. The thumbs. Upward. Right. Left.

There was always a prescribed answer. But after years of practice, the question gradually changed.

What am I looking at right now?

And after a little more time, another question appeared.

Where am I placing my attention right now?

It is fine to look in a mirror. It is good to study the body. To look at muscles, fascia, meridians, movement, and even to look again at my own body in a recorded video. All of these can be useful forms of study. The important thing was never to see nothing.

To keep the eyes open, to see, and at the same time to notice what I am following.

The eyes can remain in one place while the mind travels very far away. And the opposite is also possible: many things can appear before the eyes without the mind following every one of them.

On the mat, I still look where my teacher tells me to look. I look toward the tip of the nose, toward the thumbs, toward the toes. It is the same Dṛṣṭi as before. But now another question sometimes follows just behind the gaze.


Where is my mind looking right now?


This is a record of one practitioner’s personal experiences and studies. References to anatomy and yoga are not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment. Some names have been changed out of respect for personal privacy.

Related Reflections

Walking, Standing, Sitting, and Lying Down
After the Mat is Rolled Up
Mysore — On Our Own Mats, Moving in the Same Direction

Dṛṣṭi — 나는 어디를 보고 있는가

아쉬탕가 요가를 처음 배우기 시작하면 몸 하나 가지고 해야 할 일이 참 많다.

숨을 들이쉬고, 내쉬고, 발을 어디에 두고, 손은 어디에 놓고,

그리고 이제는 눈까지 어디를 보라고 한다.

 

Dṛṣṭi. 드리시티.

처음 이 말을 배웠을 때 내게 Dṛṣṭi는 아주 단순했다.

자세마다 정해진 곳을 보는 것.

엄지손가락을 보라고 하면 엄지를 보고, 코끝을 보라고 하면 코끝을 보고, 발끝을 보라고 하면 발끝을 본다. 그때는 그 의미를 깊이 생각하지 않았다. 오히려 약간은 규율처럼 받아들였다.

그렇게 하라고 했으니까. 아쉬탕가는 그렇게 하는 거니까.

실제로 많은 수업에서 그런 식으로 배우기 쉽다. 수십 명이 함께 움직이는 Led Class에서는 한 사람 한 사람의 몸에 대해 자세하게 설명하는 것이 현실적으로 어렵기는 하다.

정해진 카운트가 있고,

정해진 순서가 있고,

손을 놓는 곳,

발을 놓는 곳,

바라보는 곳이 있다.

많은 사람이 동시에 움직여야 하니 그런 규칙은 수업 전체를 이끌어가는 데 분명 도움이 된다. 하지만, 내 몸 전체의 정렬이 아직 그 자세에 맞지도 않는데 Dṛṣṭi만 억지로 따르는 것은 전혀 다른 시나리오다.

눈은 말한 곳을 열심히 보고 있는데, 내 목과 어깨는 전혀 다른 이야기를 하고 있었다. 그러서인가 승모근과 견갑골 언저리는 몇 년째 늘 아우성을 쳤다.


아쉬탕가 요가의 아홉 가지 Dṛṣṭi

아쉬탕가 요가에서는 아홉 가지 Dṛṣṭi, 즉 시선을 두는 방향을 사용한다.

(이 글에서는 가능한 한 산스크리트 문법을 살린 IAST 표기를 사용하려 한다.)

nāsāgre — 코끝에

bhrūmadhye — 두 눈썹 사이, 미간에

nābhicakre — 배꼽에

hastāgre — 손끝에

pādayor agre — 두 발끝에

aṅguṣṭhayoḥ — 두 엄지손가락에

ūrdhvam — 위쪽으로

dakṣiṇapārśve — 오른쪽으로

vāmapārśve — 왼쪽으로

자세마다 그에 맞는 Dṛṣṭi가 있다. 그렇다고 눈에 힘을 잔뜩 주고 목표물을 노려보듯 바라보는 건 아니다. 시선을 자연스럽게 그곳에 두고, 머물게 한다. 처음에는 이것만으로도 꽤 바쁘다.

자세를 기억해야 하고, 호흡도 적절히 해야 하고, 균형도 잡아야 하고, 거기에 어디를 보는지까지 기억해야 한다. 몸 하나 가지고 할 일이 참 많다.

하지만 시간이 지나면서 Dṛṣṭi가 단순히 눈을 어디에 놓는가의 문제만은 아니라는 것을 조금씩 느끼게 되었다.

시선이 달라지면 머리의 위치가 달라지고, 머리와 목이 움직이면 어깨와 척추, 때로는 몸 전체의 정렬도 달라진다. 균형도 달라진다. 호흡도 달라진다.

그리고 무엇보다, 주의력이 달라진다.

요가의 전통적인 언어로는 몸과 호흡과 시선을 한 방향으로 모으면서 prāṇa의 흐름을 정돈한다고 말하기도 한다.

그것을 에너지라고 부르든, 힘의 방향이라고 부르든, 호흡의 흐름이라고 부르든, 수련하면서 분명하게 느끼는 것이 있다.

시선을 어디에 두느냐에 따라 몸 전체가 달라질 수 있다는 점!


말랑말랑해진 승모근

선생님 댁에서 몇 명의 학생들과 작은 그룹으로 수련하기 시작했을 때, 나는 기존과 거의 정반대의 가르침을 만났다.

그때의 나는 나름 꽤 열심히 공부한 학생이었다.

책을 달달 외우듯, 아쉬탕가는 이래야 한다.

손은 여기,  발은 여기, 시선은 여기,  순서는 이렇게...

나름대로 많은 ‘법칙’을 머릿속에 가지고 선생님을 찾아갔다.

그런데 선생님은 요가가 손을 어디에 놓고 발을 어디에 놓는 것을 억지로 맞추는 일이 아니라고 하셨다.

Sūrya Namaskāra를 이야기하실 때는 오래된 절 수행처럼 몸 전체가 자연스럽게 이어지는 움직임을 말씀해 주셨다.

사람마다 몸이 다르고, 함께 수련하는 그룹도 다르니, 같은 수련도 조금씩 달라질 수 있다고 하셨다.

그때부터 내가 알고 있던 ‘정답’들이 하나씩 느슨해지기 시작했다. 신기하게도,  한동안 그렇게 아우성을 치던 승모근이 점점 편안하게 말랑말랑해졌다.

아마 내 어깨가 드디어 요가 철학에 동의하기 시작했던 것인지도 모르겠다.

Dṛṣṭi도 그때부터 조금 다르게 보기 시작했다.

정해진 곳을 무조건 바라보는 것이 아니라,

지금 내 몸 전체가 어디를 향하고 있는지를 돕는 시선…

그렇게 생각하니 눈 하나만 따로 수련하고 있다는 느낌도 줄어들었다.


눈이 길을 잃을 때

Dṛṣṭi가 가장 재미있는 순간은 잘 지키고 있을 때보다 풀렸을 때다.

편안한 자세에서는 한곳을 바라보는 것이 그렇게 어렵지 않다.

하지만 역 자세나 깊은 후굴처럼 심리적인 긴장까지 함께 올라오는 자세에서는 이야기가 달라진다.

흔히 말하듯, 당황해서 눈이 풀리는 순간이 있다.

몸이 어디에 있는지 순간적으로 확신이 없어지고, 호흡이 흔들리고, 눈도 갈 곳을 잃는다. 시선이 헤매기 시작한다. 몸보다 눈이 먼저 탈출구를 찾는 것 같을 때도 있다.

그런 순간에 원래의 Dṛṣṭi로 돌아오는 것은 내게 꽤 중요하다.

시선을 다시 놓고, 호흡을 찾고, 몸의 방향을 확인한다.

그리고 더 깊이 가야 할지, 아니면 이제 돌아와야 할지를 살핀다.

필요하다면 욕심을 내려놓고 안전한 원래 상태로 돌아온다.

내 경험에서는 이 과정이 무리한 움직임을 계속하지 않고 안전하면서도 부상을 방지하면서, 착지하는 데 큰 도움이 되었다.

Dṛṣṭi는 자세를 성공시키기 위한 장식이라기보다, 길을 잃었을 때 돌아오는 표지판처럼 느껴질 때가 있다.

몸은 자세 안에 있는데, 마음은 벌써 다른 곳으로 달려가 버리는 순간. Dṛṣṭi는 그걸 들키게 한다.


거울 속의 머리서기

거울은 참 재미있는 물건이다.

수련을 시작하고 꽤 오랫동안 머리서기를 하면서 비슷한 일이 반복되었다.

천천히 몸 내부의 정렬을 느끼면서 올라간다. 바닥을 누르는 힘을 느끼고, 어깨와 척추를 살피고, 골반과 다리가 어디에 있는지 찾아본다. 호흡도 따라간다. 그렇게 어느 정도 안정되고 나면 갑자기 궁금해진다.

그래서 지금 얼마나 잘하고 있지?

거울 속의 나를 확인코자, 눈이 거울로 간다.

그런데 그 순간, 조금 전까지 이어져 있던 무언가의 맥이 툭 풀린다. 균형이 흔들린다. 호흡도 흔들린다. 힘을 쓰는 방향도 달라지고, 정렬도 미묘하게 변한다. 무엇보다 몸 안에 있던 주의가 갑자기 바깥으로 빠져나간다.

조금 과장해서 표현하자면, 정신이 잠깐 유체이탈을 한다.

조금 전까지 나는 머리서기를 하고 있었는데, 순간적으로 나는 거울이 되어 거울 속의 나를 보고 있다. 주인공과 관찰자의 위치가 일순간 흔들린다. 그리고 한번 밖으로 나간 주의를 다시 몸 안으로 가져오는 것이 생각보다 쉽지 않았다.

그렇다고 거울이 나쁘다고 말은 아니다. 거울은 꽤 좋은 도구다. 내가 느끼는 것과 실제로 보이는 것이 얼마나 다른지 확인할 수 있다. 좌우의 불균형도 볼 수 있고, 나는 똑바로 서 있다고 생각했는데 실제로는 한쪽으로 기울어 있는 것도 발견할 수 있다. 움직임을 영상으로 찍어놓고 나중에 천천히 돌려보는 것과 비슷하다. 그러니 문제는 거울이 아니다.

내가 왜 지금 거울을 보고 있는가.

정렬을 공부하기 위해 보는 것과, 내가 얼마나 잘하고 있는지 확인하기 위해 보는 것.

겉으로는 똑같이 거울을 보고 있지만, 그 두 시선은 꽤 다르다.


같은 Trikoṇāsana를 다르게 보는 법

오래 수련하면서 Dṛṣṭi라는 말은 내게 조금 더 넓은 질문을 남겼다.

수련하다 보니 자연스럽게 이런 질문이 생겼다.

나는 지금 어디에 주의를 두고 있는가.

재미있게도, 그 시점에서 내가 무엇을 공부하고 있는가에 따라 같은 자세가 전혀 다르게 보였다.

Trikoṇāsana를 예로 들면,  처음에는 형태를 본다. 발은 어디에 있고, 손은 어디까지 내려가고, 윗손은 얼마나 곧게 올라가는가.

그런데 해부학을 공부하면서 발의 정렬이 단순히 멋진 형태를 만들기 위한 것이 아니라는 것을 이해하게 되었다.

발의 방향과 지면을 누르는 방식이 무릎과 고관절, 골반이 움직이고 열리는 방향을 안내한다. 위로 올라간 손끝을 바라보는 Dṛṣṭi도 눈만 위로 보내는 일이 아니다.

목이 움직이고, 어깨가 움직이고, 갈비뼈와 흉곽도 함께 반응한다. 시선 하나를 따라 몸 전체의 관계가 달라진다.

근막의 연결을 공부할 때는 또 다른 Trikoṇāsana가 보인다. 안쪽 발꿈치에서 시작해,

발목, 무릎, 서혜부, 옆구리, 가슴을 지나 안쪽 팔까지 이어지는 연결을 느껴본다.

한의학의 경락이라는 지도를 놓고 바라보면 또 다른 질문이 생긴다.

Rolfing이나 Soma처럼 몸 전체의 조직과 감각, 움직임을 연구해 온 사람들의 작업을 공부할 때도 같은 자세가 조금씩 다른 얼굴을 보여준다.

몸과 트라우마의 관계를 탐구해온 접근들을 읽을 때는, 단순히 어느 근육을 쓰는가보다 몸이 무엇을 허용하고 무엇을 막고 있는지도 궁금해진다.

같은 몸이다. 같은 Trikoṇāsana다. 그런데 내가 주의를 기울이는 곳에 따라 움직임은 천차만별로 달라진다.

몸이 달라진 것일까. 보는 내가 달라진 것일까.

아마 둘 다일 것이다.


Handstand에서 눈 하나 바꾸었을 뿐인데

Dṛṣṭi와 몸 전체의 관계를 가장 선명하게 느끼는 자세 가운데 하나는 내게 Handstand다.

시선을 앞쪽에 둘 때와, 코끝 쪽으로 거두어들일 때, 가장 먼저 달라지는 것은 척추의 정렬이다.

중립에 가까운 상태에서 시선이 앞으로 향하기 시작하면 척추도 함께 후굴의 방향으로 움직인다. 이때 단순히 허리만 꺾이는 것은 아니다. 어깨와 골반이 함께 열리면서, 동시에 그 열림을 잡아주는 힘도 필요하다.

시선 하나가 달라졌을 뿐인데, 머리와 목, 척추, 어깨와 골반의 관계가 함께 바뀐다.

그래서 Handstand에서는 Dṛṣṭi가 단순히 넘어지지 않기 위해 바라보는 점처럼 느껴지지 않는다. 몸 전체가 어느 방향으로 갈 것인지 정하는 작은 시작점에 가깝다.

내가 경험한 ‘에너지의 바른 정렬’이란 억지로 힘을 주고 용쓰는 느낌과는 꽤 멀다. 오히려 반대에 가깝다.

물이 흐르듯이,  춤의 선이 살아나듯이, 필요한 힘은 분명히 있는데, 그 힘들이 서로 다투지 않는 느낌...

몸 전체가 한 방향으로 연결되고, 호흡과 움직임이 거기에 함께 놓인다. 요가의 언어로는 그것을 prāṇa의 흐름이라고 이야기할 수도 있을 것이다. 움직임의 역학으로 설명할 수도 있다.

호흡과 압력, 관절과 근육의 관계로 바라볼 수도 있다. 내게는 모두 어느 정도 맞는 말이다.


눈을 감지 않고 앉는 것

Dṛṣṭi를 수련한 경험 때문일까? 좌선에서 눈을 다루는 방식도 자연스럽게 다가왔다.

선명상이라고 하면 흔히들 눈을 감고 조용히 앉아 있는 모습을 먼저 떠올린다.

하지만 진정한 선 수행에서는 눈을 완전히 감아버리지 않는다.

송나라 대 장로종색(長蘆宗賾)이 쓴 「좌선의」에는 앉는 자세에 대한 설명이 꽤 구체적으로 나온다.

몸을 좌우로 기울이지 않고, 앞이나 뒤로 치우치지 않게 하고, 허리와 척추, 머리와 목을 바르게 둔다. 귀와 어깨를 맞추고, 코와 배꼽이 서로 마주하게 한다. 그리고 눈에 대해서는 짧게 말한다.

目須微開. 눈은 조금 열어 두어야 한다.

스님에게 좌선을 배울 때도 이와 같았다. 시선은 자연스럽게 조금 앞의 바닥을 향한다.

눈에 특별히 힘을 주어 초점을 만들 필요는 없다. 피곤하면 잠시 감았다가 다시 떠도 된다. 중요한 것은 어떻게든 눈꺼풀을 버티는 일이 아니었다.

스님은 눈을 뜬 채 하는 수련을 하면, 우리네 실생활에 큰 도움이 된다고 말씀하셨다.

이 말씀은 내게 아주 자연스럽게 와닿았다. 나는 이미 요가를 하면서 늘 눈을 뜬 채 수련하고 있었으니까.

명상이란 눈을 감고 세상을 없애버리는 것이 아니다. 우리 눈앞에는 여전히 세상이 있고,

빛이 있고, 소리가 있다. 그런데 보인다고 해서 모두 따라갈 필요는 없다.

아쉬탕가 요가의 Dṛṣṭi와 좌선이 같은 수행은 아니다.

방법도 다르고, 역사도 다르고, 그 수행이 향하는 맥락도 다르다. 그런데 두 수행을 하다 보면 때때로 비슷한 질문을 만난다.

눈은 뜨고 있는데, 나는 지금 무엇을 따라가고 있는가.


몸을 먼저 놓는다는 것

「좌선의」를 읽으면서 흥미로웠던 점 가운데 하나는 마음을 어떻게 해야 한다는 이야기보다 먼저 몸을 아주 구체적으로 놓는다는 것이다.

어떻게 앉고, 허리를 어떻게 두고, 머리를 어떻게 놓고, 눈을 어떻게 둘 것인지.

아쉬탕가 요가도 비슷한 면이 있다.

발을 놓고, 손을 놓고, 척추를 놓고, 호흡을 놓고, 시선을 놓는다.

그런 뒤, 마음이 어떻게 움직이는지를 본다.

몸과 마음이 완전히 따로 떨어져 있는 것은 아니라는 사실을 수련할 때마다 느낀다.

자세가 변하면 호흡이 변하고, 호흡이 변하면 마음도 달라진다.

눈이 헤매면 주의도 함께 흩어지고, 시선이 다시 자리 잡으면 몸도 조금씩 돌아온다.

그래서 지금 내가 생각하는 ‘바른 정렬’은 사진 속에서 몸을 완벽하게 반듯하게 만드는 것과는 조금 다르다.

몸과 호흡, 힘과 prāṇa, 시선과 주의가 서로 멀어지지 않고,  억지로 용쓰는 느낌에서는 멀어지는 것.

물이 흐르듯, 춤의 선이 이어지듯, 몸 전체가 자연스럽게 하나의 방향을 찾아가는 것.

내게는 그것이 바른 정렬이다.


평정심을 눈을 통해 기를 수 있을까

처음에는 Dṛṣṭi를 집중을 위한 방법이라고 생각했다. 지금은 평정심이라는 말도 함께 떠오른다.

편안할 때 정해진 한 곳을 바라보기란 그리 어렵지 않다.

하지만 흔들릴 때는? 겁이 날 때는? 뭔가 잘되지 않을 때는? 옆 사람보다 뒤처지는 것처럼 느껴질 때는? 칭찬을 들었을 때는? 누군가 나를 불편하게 했을 때는?

그때에도 휩쓸리지 않고 다시 돌아올 수 있을까.

흔들리지 않는다는 것은 아무 일도 일어나지 않는다는 뜻은 아닐 것이다.

흔들린다는 것을 알고도, 돌아오는 것.

또 흩어지고, 다시 돌아오는 것. Dṛṣṭi도 그렇게 느껴질 때가 있다.

시선이 한 번도 흐트러지지 않는 사람이 되는 것이 아니라, 흐트러진 것을 알아차리는 것. 그리고 다시 돌아오는 것. 이런 일은 다른 수련자들과 함께 있을 때도 자주 경험한다.

자신의 자세나 움직임, 혹은 지금 몸 상태에 대한 불만을 그대로 밖으로 표출하는 사람들이 있다.

“나는 못 해요.”, “여기가 계속 안 돼요.”

그럴 때 꼭 그 자세를 더 밀어붙일 필요는 없다.

난이도를 조금 낮추고, 깊이를 덜어내고, 다른 접근으로 움직여보거나, 때로는 전혀 다른 시리즈의 한 움직임을 가져와보기도 한다.

분위기도 조금 더 따뜻하고 여유롭게 바꿔본다. 그러면 의외로 금방 표정이 달라질 때가 있다.

“아, 나도 할 수 있네요.”, “이렇게 하니까 잘 되고 시원해요.”

그리고 더 재미있는 것은 그다음이다.

누가 시키지 않아도 스스로 몸을 조금 다르게 움직여보고, 각도를 바꾸고, 다른 방법을 시도하기 시작한다.

똑같은 몸이 갑자기 다른 사람 몸이 된 것은 아니다. 조금 전까지 안 되던 자세를 갑자기 정복한 것도 아니다. 다만 바라보는 곳이 달라졌다.

‘안 되는 것’에서 ‘지금 가능한 것’으로.

시선이 바뀌면 분위기가 바뀌고, 분위기가 바뀌면 움직임도 달라질 때가 있다.

어쩌면 평정심이란 아무것도 흔들리지 않는 상태가 아니라, 흔들리는 가운데서도 다시 바라볼 곳을 찾을 수 있는 힘에 조금 더 가까운지도 모르겠다.


나는 어디를 보고 있는가

처음 Dṛṣṭi를 배웠을 때 질문은 아주 간단했다.

어디를 봐야 하지?

코끝. 미간. 배꼽. 손끝. 발끝. 엄지손가락. 위.  오른쪽. 왼쪽.

정해진 답이 늘 있었다. 그런데 오래 수련하면서 질문이 조금 달라졌다.

나는 지금 무엇을 보고 있지?

그리고 조금 더 지나자, 또 다른 질문이 생겼다.

나는 지금 무엇에 주의를 두고 있지?

거울을 보는 것도 괜찮다. 몸을 연구하는 것도 좋다. 근육을 보고, 근막을 보고, 경락을 보고, 움직임을 보고, 영상 속의 내 몸을 다시 바라보는 것도 좋은 공부다.

중요한 것은 아무것도 보지 않는 것이 아니었다.

눈을 뜨고, 보고, 그러면서도 내가 무엇을 따라가고 있는지 알아차리는 것. 눈은 한곳에 있는데 마음은 아주 멀리 가 있을 수 있다. 반대로 눈앞에 많은 것이 있어도 모든 것을 따라가지 않을 수도 있다.

매트 위에서 나는 여전히 선생님이 말한 곳을 바라본다.

코끝을 보고, 엄지를 보고, 발끝을 본다. 예전과 같은 Dṛṣṭi다.

그런데 지금은 그 시선 뒤에 질문 하나가 더 따라온다.


내 마음은 지금 어디를 보고 있는가.


이 글은 한 수련자의 개인적인 경험과 공부를 기록한 것입니다. 해부학과 요가에 관한 내용은 의료적 진단이나 치료를 대신하지 않습니다. 개인의 사생활을 존중하기 위해 일부 이름은 가명으로 표기합니다.


함께
읽어볼 글

行住坐臥 걷고, 서고, 앉고, 눕다
매트를 접은 뒤에도
각자의 매트에서, 같은 방향으로

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Does the Body Remember? | 몸은 무엇을 기억하고 있을까

  One of the hardest kinds of books for me to read is a book about trauma. When I read Peter A. Levine’s Waking the Tiger: Healing Traum...