There are these lines in a verse attributed to Sinsu (神秀, 신수):
時時勤拂拭 시시근불식 · Sisi geunbulsik
莫使有塵埃 막사유진애
· Maksayu jinae
Polish it diligently, again and again,
so that no dust may settle upon it.
Whenever I read these lines, I think of the way I used to
practice. For a long time, I think I practiced much like Sinsu’s verse.
Polishing.
Then polishing again.
Trying to become just a little better than I had been the
day before. Learning more postures, making the breathe a little longer,
reducing the number of things I did not know. I thought that was what practice
meant.
I began Ashtanga Yoga at thirty-nine. At first, there was
hardly a single posture I could do properly, but I simply kept practicing. I
woke early, unrolled my mat, repeated Primary, learned Intermediate, and kept
moving toward whatever came next. Whether I could do it or not, I kept running
into it.
Deeper.
More precisely.
Longer.
It felt as though I was always polishing.
Looking back, there was certainly attachment in me then. I
also loved the feeling of having accomplished something. But I do not think
those years were mistaken practice.
All that repetition changed my body. It changed my breath.
More than anything, it gave me a way of seeing into my own body.
Perhaps after polishing the mirror for so long, there came a
moment when I could finally see the person who had been polishing it.
“You, Stop.”
One year, I attended a five-day international workshop.
More than a hundred people gathered for Primary and
Intermediate Led Classes. It was quite a sight.
At the time, I had been repeatedly throwing myself against
the impossible wall called Karandavāsana.
Maybe it was the third day.
The teacher there came to me and said,
“You, stop.”
And that really was the end of my practice for that
workshop.
I can laugh about it now. At the time, I could not. My
little pride had been wounded. I believed, at least to some degree, that how
far I could go showed the level of my practice. Being told to stop was much
harder for me than it should have been.
Perhaps I was still polishing the mirror.
Trying not to leave even the smallest mark.
Thinking that if I just polished a little more, it would be
enough.
When Everything Suddenly Stopped
Then the COVID pandemic came. The familiar rhythm of my
practice was interrupted too. Until then, continuing forward had felt so
natural that the sudden break was like a great comma placed in the middle of a
sentence.
Time passed.
When it finally felt safe to practice with other people
again, I knocked for the first time on the door of a small Yoga shala tucked
into one corner of my teacher’s home.
The First Three Days
I carried an old rule into that yoga room with me:
You do not move on until the teacher gives you the next
posture.
No one had actually commanded me to follow it so rigidly,
but somewhere along the way it had hardened into an unwritten law in my own
mind.
When I practiced alone, I was already working—successfully
or not—well into the Advanced Series. But perhaps because of that old
assumption, for my first three days there I practiced only Primary.
My teacher said nothing.
He simply watched.
I asked nothing either.
Three days later, after practice, we were having lunch
together when Greg asked where I usually was in my practice.
I told him that at the time I had been rather recklessly
throwing myself at Gaṇḍa
Bheruṇḍāsana in the
Advanced Series.
Only then did Greg say,
“Tomorrow, start from where you would normally continue
after Primary.”
“You’re Good.”
The next day, I began moving into the later series.
I think I had passed Karandavāsana when my teacher gave me
his first hands-on adjustment.
It was hardly an adjustment at all.
He rested his palm lightly on the crown of my head, gave it a
couple small taps, and said,
“You’re good.”
That was all.
And yet something strange happened.
All the knots I had spent years tying—across different
places, different instructors, countless hours of practicing postures—suddenly
seemed to loosen, one after another.
The years in which I thought I had something to prove.
The standards I had created for how far I ought to go.
The belief that someone else had to give me permission
before I could move forward.
For a moment, all of it lost its grip.
It did not feel as though I had gained something new.
It felt more like putting down a mountain-sized burden I had
been carrying for so long that I had forgotten I was carrying it at all.
Click.
Something came loose.
There was relief.
And more than anything, there was freedom.
Even now, some of that feeling remains—the relief of finally
coming home after a very long journey.
The Words About There Being No Mirror
In the Platform Sutra, alongside Sinsu’s verse, we
find these famous lines attributed to Hyeneung (慧能, 혜능):
本來無一物 본래무일물
· Bollae muilmul
何處惹塵埃 하처야진애
· Hacheoya jinae
Originally, there is not a single thing.
Where, then, could dust arise?
When I first began practicing with my teacher, I did not
think of Hyeneung’s verse.
I was not thinking about sudden awakening and sudden
cultivation, or sudden awakening followed by gradual cultivation.
Something had simply come loose.
That was enough.
Later, I met Venerable Woongsahn and began studying
Buddhism. More recently, as I have been listening to Venerable Gakjeon’s
lectures on the Diamond Sutra, I have encountered more Seon poetry and
explanations of practice.
And one day, that old scene suddenly returned.
The hand resting on the crown of my head.
The light tapping.
“You’re good.”
And I thought,
Ah. So this was something like what my teacher showed me
then.
That does not mean everything I had practiced before was
unnecessary.
Quite the opposite.
Perhaps it was only because I had spent so long polishing
that I eventually became capable of seeing the one who was polishing.
But what I received that day was not another instruction to “polish
better.”
It made me look again at the assumptions I had been carrying about practice itself.
Sudden Awakening and Gradual Cultivation
In Buddhist study, I began to encounter the language of sudden
awakening and gradual cultivation.
To suddenly see.
And then to continue practicing.
A moment of understanding does not mean that the habits
accumulated in body and mind disappear the following morning.
My desire for Advanced postures did not vanish all at once.
I did not suddenly stop comparing myself with other people.
And my old habit of charging headfirst into something simply because I could not yet do it did not disappear overnight.
I had seen something,
but I still had to learn again.
Sometimes I wonder:
Was what I experienced sudden awakening and sudden
cultivation?
Or sudden awakening followed by gradual cultivation?
I do not think attaching the correct name to it matters very
much.
I am not claiming to have attained some particular stage of
Buddhist realization.
I am simply looking back at something that happened through
my Yoga practice using Buddhist language that I learned much later.
The experience came first.
The name came later.
Back in Front of the Mirror
I used to think that practice meant continually adding
something.
One more posture.
One more series.
A deeper backbend.
A straighter inversion.
A longer breath.
As though gathering enough of these things might eventually
produce a more complete version of myself.
I am still learning.
I still want to get better at things.
When I meet a new posture, I am still curious.
When something does not work, I am still disappointed.
And still, I unroll my mat again.
For now, I think that is enough.
This is a record of one practitioner’s personal
experiences and studies. References to anatomy and yoga are not intended as
medical diagnosis or treatment. Some names have been changed out of respect for
personal privacy.
Related Reflections
거울을 닦는 일, 거울이 없음을 보는 일
신수(神秀) 스님의 게송 가운데 이런 구절이 있다.
時時勤拂拭
시시근불식
莫使有塵埃
막사유진애
때때로 부지런히 털고 닦아서
티끌과 먼지가 묻지 않게 하라.
이 두 줄을 읽으면 예전의 내 수련이 떠오른다.
나는 오랫동안 신수의 게송처럼 수련했던 것 같다.
닦고,
또 닦고,
어제보다 조금 나아지려고 했다.
자세를 더 배우고,
호흡을 더 길게 하고,
모르는 것을 하나씩 줄여가는 것이 수련이라고 생각했다.
서른아홉 살에 아쉬탕가 요가를 시작했다.
처음에는 뭐 하나 제대로 되는 자세가 없었지만,
그냥 꾸준히 멈추지 않고 수련했다.
새벽에 일어나 매트를 펴고,
프라이머리를 반복하고,
인터미디엇 시리즈를 배우고,
그다음을 향했다.
되든 안 되든 계속 부딪치며 수련했다.
더 깊고.
더 정확히.
더 오래.
계속 닦아만 가는 것 같았다.
지금 돌아보면 그 시절의 나에게는 분명 욕심도 있었고,
무엇인가를 이뤄냈다는 성취감을 좋아하는 마음도 컸다.
그렇다고 그 시간이 잘못된 수련이었다고 생각하지는 않는다.
그렇게 반복한 시간 덕분에 몸이 바뀌고 호흡도 달라졌다.
무엇보다 몸을 들여다보는 시야가 생겼다.
오랫동안 거울을 닦다 보니 어느 순간에는 거울을 닦고 있는 나 자신까지 볼 수 있게 된 것인지도 모른다.
“You, Stop.”
어느 선생님의 국제 순회 워크숍에 닷새 동안 참가한 적이 있다.
프라이머리와 인터미디엇 레드 클래스에 백 명이 넘는 사람들이 모여 함께 수련하는 진풍경이 펼쳐졌다.
당시 나는
Karandavāsana라는 불가능의 벽에 그저 부딪쳐 보던 중이었다.
그렇게 사흘쯤 되었을까.
그 선생님이 내게 말했다.
“You, stop.”
그리고 그 워크숍에서 내 수련은 정말 거기서 끝났다.
지금은 웃으면서 이야기할 수 있지만 당시에는 참 힘들었다.
알량한 마음이 다친 것이다.
어디까지 할 수 있는가가 수련의 수준을 보여준다고 믿고 있었고,
멈추라는 말을 듣는 것을 나는 꽤 힘들어했다.
아마 그때의 나는 계속 거울을 닦고 있었던 것 같다.
한 점의 얼룩도 남기지 않으려고.
조금 더 닦으면 된다고 생각하면서.
갑자기 멈춘 시간
그러다 코비드 팬데믹이 왔다.
익숙했던 내 수련의 흐름도 끊겼다.
계속 앞으로 가는 것이 너무나 자연스러웠던 흐름에 갑자기 커다란 쉼표가 생겼다.
그리고 시간이 지나 다시 사람들과 함께 수련하는 것이 안전해졌을 무렵, 나는 선생님 자택 한켠에 자리한 조그마한 요가 샬라의 문을 처음으로 두드렸다.
처음 사흘
그곳에도 나는 머릿속의 오래된 규칙을 그대로 들고 갔다.
다음 자세가 주어지기 전까지는 기본 시리즈만 해야 한다는 것.
누가 그렇게 명령한 것도 아닌데 어느새 내 안에서는 불문율처럼 굳어 있었다.
혼자 수련할 때는 되든 안 되든 어드밴스드 시리즈 중반의 자세들까지 연습하고 있었지만,
그 고정관념 때문이었을까.
처음 사흘 동안 나는 프라이머리 시리즈만 수련했다.
선생님은 아무 말씀도 하지 않으셨다. 그냥 지켜보셨다. 나도 아무 질문도 하지 않았다.
사흘 뒤,
수련을 마치고 함께 점심을 먹던 중
그렉이 내 평소 수련 진도를 물었다.
그 당시 어드밴스드 시리즈에서 막무가내로 부딪쳐 보고 있던 자세가
Gaṇḍa Bheruṇḍāsana라고 이야기했다.
그때서야 그렉이 말해 주었다.
내일부터는 프라이머리 이후 부분부터 시작해보는게 어떻냐고.
“You’re good.”
다음 날부터 나는 다음 시리즈의 자세들로 들어갔다. 아마 카란다바사나를 지난 뒤였던 것 같다.
나흘째 그때 선생님이 처음으로 핸즈온을 해주셨다.
정수리에 손바닥을 가볍게 얹고 두어 번 톡톡 두드린 뒤 한마디.
“You’re good.”
그게 전부였는데 이상했다.
그동안 여러 곳에서,
여러 강사들에게 배우고,
수많은 시간을 들여 자세를 연습하며 차곡차곡 묶어왔던 매듭들이 갑자기 하나씩 풀리는 것 같은 느낌이었다.
내가 무엇을 증명해야 한다고 생각했던 시간도,
어디까지 해야 한다고 생각했던 기준도,
누군가의 허락을 받아야 다음으로 갈 수 있다고 믿었던 마음도,
그 잠깐 사이에 모두 힘을 잃었다.
뭔가를 새로 얻었다는 느낌과는 전혀 달랐다.
오히려 오래오래 등뒤에 지고 다니면서도 지고 있는 줄조차 몰랐던,
산만큼 무거운 짐이 내려놓아졌달까.
툭.
풀렸다.
후련했다.
그리고 무엇보다 자유로웠다.
긴 여행을 마치고 집에 돌아온 것 같은 안도감은 지금도 남아 있다.
거울이 없다는 말
『육조단경』에서 신수의 게송과 나란히 전해지는 혜능(慧能) 스님의 게송에는 이런 구절이 있다.
本來無一物
본래무일물
何處惹塵埃
하처야진애
본래 한 물건도 없는데,
어느 곳에 티끌과 먼지가 일어나겠는가.
선생님을 처음 뵙고 수련하던 당시 내가 혜능의 게송을 떠올린 것은 아니었다. 그때는 돈오돈수도, 돈오점수도 생각하지 않았다.
그냥 뭔가가 풀렸다.
그것으로 충분했다.
그 뒤 웅산 스님을 만나 불교 공부를 시작했고,
지금은 각전 스님의 《금강경 오가해》 강의를 들으며 여러 선시와 수행에 대한 설명을 접하고 있다.
그러다 어느 순간 문득 예전의 그 장면이 돌아온 것이다.
내 정수리 위에 놓였던 손.
가볍게 나를 두드리던 감촉.
“You’re good.”
아,
그때 선생님이 보여준 것이 이런 것이었나...
물론 내가 지금까지 해온 모든 수련이 필요 없었다는 뜻은 아니다.
오히려 반대다. 그렇게 오래 닦았기 때문에 어느 순간, 열심히 닦고 있는 나 자신을 볼 수 있게 된 것인지도 모른다.
하지만 그날 받은 가르침은 분명히 “계속 더 잘 닦아라”는 아니었다. 내가 오랫동안 붙잡고 있던 수련의 전제, 그 자체를 돌아보게 했다.
돈오와 점수
불교 공부를 하다 보면 돈오(頓悟)와 점수(漸修)라는 말을 만나게 된다.
문득 본다는 것.
그리고 계속 닦아간다는 것.
문득 어떤 이해가 생겼다고 해서,
무엇인가를 한순간 분명히 보았다고 해서, 그 다음 날부터 그동안 몸과 마음에 쌓인 습관까지 모두 사라지는 것은 아니다.
어드밴스드 자세에 대한 욕심이 한순간에 사라진 것도 아니다.
다른 사람과 비교하지 않게 된 것도 아니고, 막무가내로 부딪쳐 보고 마는 오래된 습관이 즉시 없어지지도 않았다.
가끔 이런 질문도 생긴다.
내가 경험한 것이 돈오돈수였을까. 아니면 돈오점수였을까.
지금은 거기에 이름을 가져다붙이는 일이 그다지 중요하지는 않을 것 같다.
내가 불교 수행의 어떤 경지를 얻었다고 말하려는 것이 아니기 때문이다.
단지 수련을 통해 겪은 경험을, 훨씬 후에 배운 불교의 언어를 통해 다시 한 번 바라보고 있을 뿐이다.
다시 거울 앞에서
예전에는 수련하면 무엇인가가 계속 더해져야 한다고 생각했다.
자세 하나.
시리즈 하나.
조금 더 깊은 후굴.
조금 더 곧은 역자세.
조금 더 긴 호흡.
마치 하나씩 얻어가면 더 완성된 사람이 되어가는 것마냥.
지금도 배운다. 지금도 더 잘하고 싶은 것이 있다. 새로운 자세를 만나면 여전히 궁금하고, 뭔가 잘 안 되면 늘 아쉽다.
다시 매트를 편다. 지금은 그걸로 충분할 것 같다.
이 글은 한 수련자의 개인적인 경험과 공부를 기록한 것입니다. 해부학과 요가에 관한 내용은 의료적 진단이나 치료를 대신하지 않습니다. 개인의 사생활을 존중하기 위해 일부 이름은 가명으로 표기합니다.
.jpg)

No comments:
Post a Comment