Friday, September 4, 2026

The Next Posture Is the Next Spiritual Friend | 다음 자세는 다음 선지식이다

 











When the monk gave me a copy of the Avataṃsaka Sūtra, specifically the “Entering the Dharma Realm” chapter, and began his YouTube lectures on it, I found myself drawn to the story of Sudhana.

In the long journey commonly known as the story of the 53 spiritual friends, Sudhana does not try to obtain every answer from a single person. After meeting Mañjuśrī and giving rise to the aspiration for the Bodhisattva path, he sets out in search of one spiritual friend after another. He asks, listens, learns, and then continues on. He meets ordained practitioners and laypeople, men and women, young and old, people living lives completely different from one another.

Yet the questions remain.

How does a Bodhisattva learn? How does a Bodhisattva practice?

Hearing an answer from one spiritual friend does not bring the journey to an end. Sudhana never seems to say, “Now I have learned this, so now I know.” He receives what is offered, and then he sets out again.

The more I listened to his journey, the more it began to overlap in my mind with the way I had practiced Ashtanga Yoga for so many years.


The Next Posture

Ashtanga Yoga has an order. First comes Primary Series, then Intermediate Series, followed by the Advanced Series. From a student’s perspective, it is very easy to understand this as progress: the next posture, the next series, something a little more difficult, a little farther ahead.

I thought this way too.

Whenever I received a new posture, several emotions arrived at once. There was the feeling of being recognized, the satisfaction of achievement, curiosity about what might come next, and also a certain nervousness. At times, receiving a new posture even felt a little like being awarded a small medal within the community.

I imagined myself building upward: Primary, then Intermediate, then Advanced. Layer by layer, I was constructing what I thought was a rather elegant little sandcastle of progress.

Then I began studying with my teacher, and the whole sandcastle came tumbling down.


What Became Visible After It Fell

The rules I had built in my mind about Ashtanga Yoga were fairly rigid. You had to become good enough at one posture before receiving the next. You had to complete one series before moving on to another. Some postures were beginner postures, while others belonged to more advanced practitioners.

I had accepted all of this quite naturally.

But what I heard from my teacher was different. He explained that in the early days, when his father was teaching students, there was far less need for the kind of standardization required when large groups must move through a practice together. Postures from different series could be taught much more freely according to the individual body and the particular needs of each student.

My teacher also did not seem to view “advanced postures” as rewards reserved for people who had earned the right to receive them. If a posture from a later series could be useful for a particular body, he believed one should be able to bring that posture into the practice when needed.

After hearing this, the series looked entirely different to me.

They were not a hierarchy. They were tools.

Advanced was not a trophy placed on the highest shelf, and Primary was not a beginner course to pass through and discard. The series began to look more like different languages of practice, each capable of asking something different depending on the body, the situation, and the person standing on the mat.

The ladder of progress I had worked so hard to build disappeared.

Strangely, once the ladder was gone, the path became much wider.


Meeting the Same Posture for the First Time Every Day

If someone asked whether I had recently discovered something new in a basic posture I learned years ago, my answer would be very simple.

Every day.

Yesterday’s Trikoṇāsana is not the same as today’s Trikoṇāsana. Yesterday’s Sūrya Namaskāra is not the same as today’s Sūrya Namaskāra. The breath is different. The body is different. The place where I put my attention is different. What I happen to be reading and studying is different.

Most of all, the mind I bring to practice that day is different.

I already know the name of the posture. I know the sequence. But the questions have changed. In the past, I mostly asked, Where should I put my hands? How deep should I go? Am I doing this posture correctly?

Now I am more likely to ask, How is this body moving today? Why am I using force here? What am I holding on to? What am I avoiding?

The posture may be familiar.

The question is not.













Returning to Mañjuśrī

What especially surprised me in the “Entering the Dharma Realm” chapter was that Sudhana’s journey does not simply move in a straight line until it reaches a distant finish.

After first meeting Mañjuśrī and setting out on his journey, Sudhana learns from spiritual friend after spiritual friend. Near the end of that long journey, he encounters Mañjuśrī again, and after that the story moves toward its conclusion through his meeting with Samantabhadra.

He returns to the teacher who first opened the path for him.

When I read this, I thought immediately of Primary Series.

At first, I had thought of Primary as somewhere I needed to pass through. I practiced it in order to reach Intermediate, and Intermediate in order to reach Advanced. The movement seemed simple enough: farther, harder, deeper, onward.

But after passing through many postures and different series, returning to Primary does not feel like returning to the same place.

Trikoṇāsana is still Trikoṇāsana. Marīcyāsana is still Marīcyāsana. Sūrya Namaskāra begins the same way it always has.

And yet what I see is different.

Practicing Advanced does not mean graduating from Primary. Sometimes it is precisely because I have passed through more difficult postures that I can return to Primary and see something there that I could not see before.

That was when I began to understand:

The path does not only move forward.

Sometimes it deepens by bringing us back to where we began.


The Perfect Āsana???

How do we encounter Yoga in the modern world?

Very often, the first thing we see on a screen is the shape of a body: a deeper backbend, a straighter Handstand, a higher leg, more beautifully arranged feet and toes. With a single photograph, we can instantly compare what appears to be a “good posture” with what appears to be a less successful one.

There is nothing inherently wrong with this. The time, concentration, discipline, and physical effort required to learn a difficult āsana certainly have value.

The problem begins when we start using shape as the standard by which we judge Yoga as a whole.

How perfectly can this person perform the posture? How far into the series have they been given? Who is more flexible? Who can do the harder posture? Who has the more impressive photograph?

When we begin to look at people and their practices through those standards, Yoga can quietly become less a study of the mind and more an exercise in completing a checklist of perfection.

I cannot claim that I have always been free from those standards either. I wanted the next posture. I wanted to go farther. I cared about the shape of my body. I wanted the feeling of being recognized as someone who was doing well.

The names were different, but looking back, the roots were very similar.

The mind that holds on.


A Feast of Greed, Anger, and Delusion

In Buddhism, greed, anger, and delusion are called the Three Poisons — 貪瞋癡.

They appear with astonishing ease in Yoga practice too.

I want the next posture.

Greed.

Why can’t I do what that person can do?

Anger.

I already know this posture.

Delusion.

And we can wrap all three of them in the very respectable-looking package called “practice.”

Sometimes parts of modern Yoga culture look to me like a feast of the Three Poisons: appearance, competition, certification, treating the series like a hierarchy, excessive correction, and the images of perfect bodies constantly created and circulated through social media.

There is an enormous amount of information available to show how far I have gone.

The voice asking why I am walking this path at all can sound much quieter.


“Serious Makes You Furious.”

During class, my teacher would often offer us what sounded like a joke, though there was always something sincere underneath it.

“Serious makes you furious. Only be curious.”

Become too serious and you become furious. Just stay curious.

At first, I thought this was simply my teacher’s particular way of making students laugh when they were holding difficult postures with their entire faces clenched. And to be fair, that was probably much of the point.

But over time, I began to hear the words differently.

There is the mind that insists on obtaining something, the mind that becomes angry when things do not go according to plan, and the mind that assumes it already knows. On the other side of all that is something much simpler:

curious.

Why is today different from yesterday? Why does my breath become blocked here? Why am I afraid of this posture? Why do I want the next posture so badly? Why does my mind react when I look at someone else’s practice?

And eventually the question becomes:

Why am I practicing Yoga at all?

I do not know whether my teacher knew about the Three Poisons or the story of Sudhana.

But now, when I remember that joke, this is what I hear:

Do not clutch the answer.

Keep the question alive.

Like Sudhana.


Sudhana Was Not Guru Shopping

At first, Sudhana’s story can lead to an odd question. Why does this person keep looking for so many teachers? Why not simply choose one and remain there?

In modern language, it might almost look like an extreme case of “guru shopping.”

But Sudhana sought spiritual friends. He was not shopping for them.

When we shop, we generally have some idea of what we want. A certain price, a certain color, a certain function. If the product does not meet the conditions, we move on to the next one.

The same thing can happen when we look for teachers.

Someone with the kind of beautiful body I admire. Someone who performs the postures I want to perform. Someone who will give me progress quickly. Someone famous. Someone with many followers. Someone who most closely matches the standard of “perfect Yoga” I have already created in my mind.

Then I go looking for a teacher with that checklist in hand.

Can this person give me what I want?

At that moment, the teacher stops being a spiritual friend and becomes a service provider. The student stops being a learner and becomes a consumer.

Consumers do not usually remain with products that make them uncomfortable. We begin looking for someone who confirms what we already think rather than someone who unsettles it. If one teacher does not give us the posture we want, we go somewhere else. We search for someone who will tell us what we already want to hear.

But good teaching does not always come from the direction we want it to come from.

Sometimes it gives us no new posture at all and instead sends us back to look again at the one we already have. Sometimes it dismantles something we were certain was correct. Sometimes it knocks down a carefully built sandcastle all at once.

Learning from many teachers is not the problem. Sudhana himself learned from spiritual friend after spiritual friend.

The difference is that what he carried with him was not a shopping list.

It was a question.

That difference matters.

Shopping begins with the assumption that I already know what I want. Inquiry begins with the recognition that I do not yet know.


Looking for a Better Teacher and Learning More Deeply

When Sudhana meets the next spiritual friend, he does not discard what the previous one taught him. The new teacher is not simply an upgraded version of the old one. Each encounter opens a different door, and after walking through that door, even what he learned before can appear differently.

This resembles what I have experienced through learning from different teachers.

Learning from someone new does not necessarily mean searching for someone “better” than the person before. From one person I may learn anatomy. From another, movement. From another, scripture. From another, silence.

Sometimes I learn through someone’s admirable example. Sometimes I learn through an uncomfortable experience.

Perhaps a good spiritual friend is not someone who satisfies the standards of perfection I have created, but someone who helps me see what I could not see before.

Of course, this does not mean that we should remain with every teacher no matter what happens. Ethical problems, safety concerns, or a breakdown of trust can make leaving an important and necessary choice.

Perhaps what matters is continuing to ask, even while leaving:

What am I learning here?


The Next Posture Is the Next Spiritual Friend

Now I look at a new āsana a little differently.

The next posture is not a certificate proving that I have perfectly conquered the one before it. It feels more like the next spiritual friend, asking me a new question.

One posture shows me strength. Another shows me fear. Another reveals how impatient I am. Another sends me back to my anatomical understanding and asks me to study again. Some postures remain silent for years before finally teaching me something.

And then there are spiritual friends like my trapezius muscles, which have always had quite a lot to say. The problem is simply that the student may refuse to listen for a very long time.

That is why even the phrase “getting” a posture sometimes sounds strange to me now. A posture is not something I own. It is something I meet, something I study, something I enter into a relationship with.

And eventually, I move on.

Not because the posture has been exhausted,

but because another question is waiting.


What Is Progress?

For a long time, I understood progress in terms of how far I had gone.

Primary. Intermediate. Advanced.

And then what?

Progress means something different to me now.

Can I look at a posture I have practiced for years as if I were seeing it for the first time today? Can I ask again at the very moment I think I already know? Can I discover something new in practice even if I am not given another posture?

When I return to Primary after learning difficult postures, can I see something there that I could not see before?

Perhaps progress is not only a measure of distance.

Perhaps it is also a measure of depth.


This One Place: My Own Mind

Since beginning to study the “Entering the Dharma Realm” chapter with the monk, I keep returning to the same thoughts as I follow Sudhana’s long journey.

Why did he meet so many people? Why did he keep asking? Why did he refuse to stop with a single answer?

And why do I continue practicing Yoga?

In the end, the essence of Yoga did not turn out to be somewhere grand or distant.

It is simply the work of looking at this one place: my own mind.

On the mat and after the mat is rolled up, the same mind keeps moving. It moves when I look at someone, when I am praised, when I feel ignored, when I get what I want, and when I do not. It moves when I receive the next posture and when I am not given one.

Practice is watching that movement.

Seeing what I am grasping for, what I am angry about, and what I mistakenly believe I already understand.

That has become far more interesting to me than making an āsana perfectly.

As my teacher says,

Only be curious!

I do not try to possess the next posture.

I move toward the next question.

And when I think I have traveled far enough, I return to the beginning.

There, a posture I have known for years is still waiting.

But the student standing before it has changed a little.

So I ask again:

What am I learning now?

 


This is a record of one practitioner’s personal experiences and studies. References to anatomy and yoga are not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment. Some names have been changed out of respect for personal privacy.

Related Reflections

다음 자세는 다음 선지식이다

스님께서 『화엄경』 「입법계품」 책을 선물로 주시고 유튜브 강의를 시작하셨을 때, 나는 선재동자의 이야기에 마음이 끌렸다.

흔히 53선지식 이야기라고 부르는 그 긴 여정에서 선재동자는 한 사람에게서 모든 답을 얻으려 하지 않는다. 문수보살을 만나 보살도를 향한 마음을 내고 길을 떠난 뒤, 또 다른 선지식을 찾아가 묻고, 배우고, 다시 다음 사람에게 간다. 출가한 수행자도 만나고 일반인도 만난다. 남자와 여자, 젊은이와 노인, 서로 전혀 다른 삶을 살아가는 사람들을 만나면서도 질문은 계속된다.

보살은 어떻게 배우는가.
보살은 어떻게 행하는가.

한 선지식에게서 답을 들었다고 해서 여행이 끝나지 않는다. 배웠으니 이제 다 알았다고 선언하지도 않는다. 다시 길을 떠난다.

그 모습이 내게는 아주 오래 아쉬탕가 요가에서 수련해온 것과 겹쳐 보였다.


다음 자세

아쉬탕가 요가에는 순서가 있다. Primary Series를 배우고, Intermediate Series로 가고, 그 뒤에는 Advanced Series가 이어진다.

학생의 입장에서는 이것을 아주 자연스럽게 진도라고 받아들이기 쉽다. 다음 자세, 다음 시리즈, 조금 더 어려운 자세, 조금 더 앞으로. 나 역시 그랬다.

처음 새로운 자세를 받았을 때는 여러 감정이 한꺼번에 있었다. 인정받았다는 느낌도 있었고, 성취감도 있었고, 다음에는 무엇을 만나게 될지 궁금도 했다. 긴장감도 있었다.

새로운 자세를 받는다는 것이 공동체 안에서 작은 훈장을 받는 것처럼 느껴질 때도 있었다.

나는 그렇게 Primary 위에 Intermediate를 쌓고, 그 위에 Advanced를 쌓아가고 있다고 생각했다. 차곡차곡, 나름 꽤 정교한 모래성이었다.

그런데 선생님께 배우기 시작한 뒤, 그 모래성이 후루루 다 무너져버렸다.


무너지고 나서 보이는 것

내가 머릿속에 만들어놓았던 아쉬탕가 요가의 규칙은 꽤 단단했다. 이 자세를 충분히 잘해야 다음 자세로 가고, 이 시리즈를 완성해야 다음 시리즈로 간다. 어떤 자세는 초급이고, 어떤 자세는 고급이다.

나는 이것을 꽤 자연스럽게 받아들이고 있었다.

하지만 선생님에게 들은 이야기는 달랐다. 선생님의 아버지가 학생들을 가르치던 초기에는 지금처럼 많은 사람을 한꺼번에 지도하기 위한 표준화가 필요치 않았고, 학생 개개인의 몸과 필요에 따라 여러 시리즈의 자세들을 훨씬 자유롭게 가르치셨다.

선생님 역시 ‘고급 자세’를 단순히 수련자에게만 주어지는 보상처럼 보지 않으셨다. 필요하다면 한 사람의 몸을 돕기 위해 뒤의 시리즈에 있는 자세를 가져와 사용할 수도 있어야 한다고 하셨다.

그 말을 듣고 나니 시리즈가 전혀 다르게 보였다.

계급이 아니라 도구...

Advanced는 높은 선반에 올려놓는 트로피가 아니다. Primary도 지나가고 버리는 초급 과정이 아니다. 몸과 상황에 따라 서로 다른 질문을 던지는 수련의 언어이다.

내가 그렇게 열심히도 쌓아놓았던 진도의 사다리는 사라졌다.

그런데 이상하게도, 사다리가 사라지고 나니 길이 더 넓어졌다.


매일 같은 자세를 처음 만나는 일

누군가 내게 몇 년 전에 배운 기본 자세 중 최근 새롭게 발견한 것이 있느냐고 묻는다면, 대답은 아주 간단하다.

매일…

정말 그렇다.

어제의 Trikoṇāsana와 오늘의 Trikoṇāsana가 같지 않다. 어제의 Sūrya Namaskāra와 오늘의 Sūrya Namaskāra도 같지 않다. 호흡이 다르고, 몸이 다르고, 주의를 두는 곳이 다르고, 내가 읽고 공부하고 있는 것이 다르다.

무엇보다 그날의 마음이 다르다.

자세의 이름은 이미 알고 있다. 순서도 알고 있다. 그런데 질문은 새롭다.

예전에는 주로 이런 것을 물었다.

손은 어디에 놓지?
얼마나 깊이 가야 하지?
이 자세를 제대로 하고 있나?

지금은 질문이 조금 다르다.

오늘 이 몸은 어떻게 움직이고 있는가.
나는 왜 여기에서 힘을 주고 있는가.
무엇을 붙잡고 있는가.
무엇을 피하고 있는가.








다시
문수보살에게

「입법계품」에서 특히 놀라웠던 점은 선재동자의 여행이 단순한 직선으로 끝나지 않는다는 점이다.

처음 문수보살을 만나 길을 떠난 선재동자는 수많은 선지식에게 배우고, 긴 여정의 끝자락에서 다시 문수보살을 만난다. 그리고 그 뒤 보현보살과의 만남으로 이야기는 마지막을 향한다.

처음 길을 열어준 스승에게 다시 돌아온다.

이 부분을 읽으면서 나는 Primary Series를 떠올렸다.

처음에는 Primary를 통과해야 할 곳이라고 생각했다. Intermediate에 가기 위해서, Advanced에 가기 위해서, 더 어려운 자세를 배우기 위해서.

그런데 여러 자세와 시리즈를 지나 다시 Primary를 하면, 내가 돌아온 장소는 같은데 그곳에서 만나는 질문은 전혀 같지 않다.

Trikoṇāsana는 여전히 Trikoṇāsana다. Marīcyāsana도 여전히 Marīcyāsana다. Sūrya Namaskāra도 똑같이 시작한다.

그런데 보이는 것이 달라져 있다.

Advanced를 해서 Primary를 졸업하는 것이 아니라, Advanced를 지나왔기 때문에 Primary에서 전에 보지 못했던 것을 보게 되는 경우도 있다.

그때 나는 조금 알 것 같았다.

길은 앞으로만 가는 것이 아니구나.


완벽한 āsana???

현대를 살면서 우리는 어떻게 요가를 접하는가?

화면 속에서 가장 먼저 보이는 것은 몸의 모양이다. 더 깊은 후굴, 더 곧은 Handstand, 더 높은 다리, 더 정교하게 정리된 발끝. 사진 한 장으로도 무엇이 ‘잘된 자세’인지 즉시 비교할 수 있다.

그 자체가 잘못은 아니다.

어려운 āsana를 익히는 데 필요한 시간과 집중력, 신체적인 노력은 분명 가치가 있다.

문제는 우리가 모양을 기준으로 요가 전체를 평가하기 시작할 때 생긴다.

이 자세를 얼마나 완벽하게 하는가. 어디까지 시리즈를 받았나. 누가 더 유연한가. 누가 더 어려운 자세를 하나. 누가 더 그럴듯한 사진을 가지고 있는가.

그런 기준으로 사람과 수련을 바라보다 보면, 요가가 마음을 들여다보는 공부가 아니라 완벽성의 기준표를 채워가는 일이 되기 쉽다.

나 역시 그런 기준에서 완전히 자유로웠다고 말할 수 없다. 다음 자세를 원했고, 더 앞으로 가고 싶었고, 몸의 모양에도 관심이 있었고, 잘하고 있다는 인정을 받고 싶었다.

이름은 서로 달랐지만, 지금 돌아보면 그 뿌리는 꽤 비슷했다.

붙잡는 마음.


탐진치의 잔치

불교에서는 탐욕과 성냄과 어리석음을 탐진치(貪瞋癡), 세 가지 독이라고 부른다.

요가를 하면서도 이 셋은 놀라울 정도로 쉽게 나타난다.

다음 자세를 갖고 싶다.
탐.

왜 나는 저 사람처럼 되지 않는가.
진.

나는 이미 이 자세를 알고 있다.
치.

그리고 우리는 이 모든 것을 수행이라는 아주 훌륭해 보이는 포장지 안에 넣어둘 수도 있다.

때로는 현대 요가 문화의 장면들이 이 탐진치의 잔치처럼 보일 때도 있다.

외형, 경쟁, 인증, 시리즈를 계급처럼 바라보는 태도, 지나친 교정, SNS에서 만들어지는 완벽한 몸의 이미지.

나는 어디까지 갔는가를 보여주는 데는 아주 많은 정보가 있는데,

나는 왜 이 길을 가고 있는가를 묻는 목소리는 상대적으로 작게 들린다.


“Serious makes you furious.”

선생님은 수업 중 종종 진심 어린 농담처럼 말씀하셨다.

“Serious makes you furious. Only be curious.”

너무 심각해지면 화가 나니, 그저 궁금해하라는 말씀.

처음에는 힘든 자세를 붙잡고 얼굴까지 굳어 있는 학생들을 웃게 만드는 선생님 특유의 유머라고 생각했다. 실제로 그런 역할이 주였다.

그런데 시간이 지나면서 나는 그 말을 조금 다르게 듣게 된다.

무언가를 반드시 얻어내야 한다는 마음. 뜻대로 되지 않을 때 화가 나는 마음. 이미 알고 있다고 단정하는 마음.

그 반대편에 curious가 있다.

왜 오늘은 어제와 다르지?

왜 여기에서 호흡이 막히지?

왜 나는 이 자세가 무섭지?

왜 나는 다음 자세를 그렇게 갖고 싶지?

왜 저 사람의 자세를 보면서 내 마음이 움직이지?

그리고 결국, 나는 왜 요가를 수련하고 있지?

선생님이 탐진치나 선재동자에 대해 아셨는지는 나는 모른다.

하지만 지금의 내게 그 농담은 이렇게 들린다.

답을 움켜쥐기보다 질문을 놓지 않을 것... 선재동자처럼!


선재동자는 구루 쇼핑에 나선 것이 아니다

선재동자의 이야기를 처음 들으면 조금 이상한 생각도 들 수 있다.

이 사람은 왜 이렇게 많은 선생님을 찾아다니는 걸까? 한 사람에게 배우면 되지 않았을까?

오늘날의 말로 하면 엄청난 ‘구루 쇼핑’처럼 보일 수도 있다.

하지만, 선재동자는 선지식을 찾아다녔지만, 선지식을 쇼핑하지는 않았다.

쇼핑을 할 때 대개 우리는 자신이 무엇을 원하는지 어느 정도 가늠하고 있다. 가격은 이 정도, 색은 이것, 기능은 이것. 조건에 맞지 않으면 다음 상품으로 넘어간다.

내가 생각하는 아름다운 몸을 가진 사람. 내가 하고 싶은 자세를 하는 사람. 원하는 진도를 빨리 주는 사람. 유명한 사람. 팔로워가 많은 사람. 내가 세운 ‘완벽한 요가’의 기준에 가장 가까운 사람.

그 기준표를 들고 선생님을 찾는다.

이 사람은 내가 원하는 것을 줄 수 있는가.

그 순간 선생님은 선지식이 아니라 서비스 제공자가 되고, 학생은 배우는 사람이 아니라 소비자가 된다.

소비자는 불편한 상품을 오래 선택하지 않는다. 내 생각을 흔드는 사람보다 내 생각을 확인해주는 사람을 찾게 된다. 내가 원하는 자세를 주지 않으면 다른 곳으로 간다. 내가 듣고 싶은 말을 해주는 사람을 찾는다.

하지만 좋은 가르침은 꼭 내가 듣고 싶은 방향에서 오지 않는다.

때로는 다음 자세 대신 이미 하고 있는 자세를 다시 보게 한다. 때로는 내가 옳다고 믿었던 것을 무너뜨린다. 때로는 오랫동안 쌓은 모래성이 한 번에 후루루 무너져버린다.

여러 선생님에게 배우는 것 자체가 문제는 아니다. 선재동자야말로 수많은 선지식에게 배우고 또 배웠다. 다만 그가 들고 다닌 것은 쇼핑 목록이 아니라 질문이었다.

그 차이는 크다.

쇼핑은 내가 원하는 것을 이미 알고 있다는 데서 시작한다. 탐구는 내가 아직 모른다는 데서 시작한다.


더 좋은 선생님을 찾는 것과 더 깊이 배우는 것

선재동자는 다음 선지식을 만나면서 이전 선지식의 가르침을 폐기하지 않는다. 새로운 선생님이 이전 선생님의 업그레이드 버전도 아니다. 각 만남은 다른 문을 열어준다. 그리고 그 문을 지나고 나면 전에 배운 것까지 새롭게 보인다.

이것은 내가 여러 선생님을 만나면서 느낀 것과도 같다.

새로운 사람에게 배운다는 것은 반드시 이전 사람보다 ‘더 좋은’ 사람을 찾아가는 일이 아니다. 어떤 사람에게서는 해부학을 배우고, 어떤 사람에게서는 움직임을 배우고, 어떤 사람에게서는 경전을 배우고, 어떤 사람에게서는 침묵을 배운다.

때로는 누군가의 훌륭한 모습에서 배우고, 때로는 불편했던 경험을 통해서도 배운다.

좋은 선지식이란 내가 만들어놓은 완벽성의 기준을 충족하는 사람이 아니라,

내가 보지 못하던 것을 보게 하는 존재인지도 모르겠다.

물론 이것이 어떤 선생님에게든 무조건 머물러야 한다는 뜻은 아니다. 윤리적인 문제나 안전의 문제, 신뢰의 붕괴가 있다면 떠나는 것도 중요한 판단이다.

중요한 것은 어쩌면, 떠날 때조차 무엇을 배우고 있는가를 묻는 일일 것이다.


다음 자세는 다음 선지식이다

이제 나는 새로운 āsana를 조금 다르게 바라본다.

다음 자세는 앞의 자세를 완벽히 정복했다는 증명서가 아니다. 새로운 질문을 던지는 다음 선지식에 조금 더 가깝다.

어떤 자세는 힘을 보여준다. 어떤 자세는 두려움을 보여준다. 어떤 자세는 내가 얼마나 조급한지 보여준다. 어떤 자세는 내가 가지고 있던 해부학적 이해를 다시 공부하게 만든다. 어떤 자세는 오랫동안 아무 말도 하지 않다가 몇 년 뒤에야 가르침을 들려준다.

내 승모근처럼 꽤나 말이 많은 선지식도 있다. 문제는 학생이 오랫동안 말을 잘 듣지 않을 뿐이다.

그래서 이제는 자세를 ‘얻는다’는 표현도 조금 낯설게 느껴진다. 자세는 소유물이 아니다. 만나는 것이다. 공부하는 것이다. 그리고 언젠가는 다시 떠나야 한다.

다음 질문을 만나기 위해서…


진도란 무엇일까

오랫동안 나는 진도를 얼마나 멀리 갔는가로 생각했다.

Primary.

Intermediate.

Advanced. 그 뒤에는 무엇이 있을까.

하지만 지금의 나에게 진도… 진척 상황과 그 정도란 다른 이야기를 들려준다.

몇 년 동안 해온 자세를 오늘 처음 보는 것처럼 바라볼 수 있는가?
내가 이미 안다고 생각하는 순간 다시 물을 수 있는가?
다음 자세를 받지 않아도 수련 안에서 새로운 것을 발견할 수 있는가?
어려운 자세를 배운 뒤 Primary로 돌아왔을 때, 그 안에서 전에 보지 못했던 것을 볼 수 있는가?


내 마음 자리 하나

스님에게 「입법계품」을 배우기 시작한 뒤, 선재동자의 긴 여행을 보면서 자꾸 한 가지 생각으로 돌아오게 된다.

왜 이렇게 많은 사람을 만났을까.

왜 그렇게 계속 물었을까.

왜 답 하나를 가지고 멈추지 않았을까.

그리고 나는 왜 계속 요가를 수련하는가.

결국 요가의 본질은 아주 거창한 곳에 있지 않았다.

내 마음 자리 하나 보는 일.

매트 위에서도 그렇고, 매트를 접은 뒤에도 그렇다.

누군가를 볼 때. 칭찬받을 때. 무시당했다고 느낄 때. 원하는 것을 얻었을 때. 얻지 못했을 때. 다음 자세를 받았을 때. 받지 못했을 때.

마음은 계속 움직인다.

그 움직임을 보는 일…

내가 무엇을 탐하고 있는지, 무엇에 화를 내고 있는지, 무엇을 안다고 착각하고 있는지 바라보는 일.

그것이 지금은 āsana를 얼마나 완벽하게 만드는가보다 훨씬 흥미롭다.

선생님의 말처럼, Only be curious!

다음 자세를 소유하려 하지 않는다. 다음 질문으로 간다.

그리고 충분히 멀리 갔다고 생각될 때, 다시 처음으로 돌아온다.

그곳에는 오래전부터 알고 있던 자세가 기다리고 있다.

하지만 그 앞에 서 있는 학생은 조금 달라져 있다.

그래서 다시 묻는다.

나는 지금 무엇을 배우고 있는가.

 


이 글은 한 수련자의 개인적인 경험과 공부를 기록한 것입니다. 해부학과 요가에 관한 내용은 의료적 진단이나 치료를 대신하지 않습니다. 개인의 사생활을 존중하기 위해 일부 이름은 가명으로 표기합니다.


함께 읽어볼 글

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Does the Body Remember? | 몸은 무엇을 기억하고 있을까

  One of the hardest kinds of books for me to read is a book about trauma. When I read Peter A. Levine’s Waking the Tiger: Healing Traum...