行住坐臥
— The Body Is Always in Some Posture
The human body moves through different
postures all day
long. We walk, stand, sit, and lie down.
In Buddhism, these four basic postures are described as 行住坐臥: 行,
walking; 住,
standing; 坐,
sitting; and 臥,
lying down.
There is nothing particularly extraordinary about any of
them. They are so ordinary that we rarely think of them as postures at all. We
walk through the house, stand in the kitchen, sit in a chair, and lie down at
night. They may be the movements and positions we repeat most often in a day,
yet observe the least.
I first heard the expression 行住坐臥 not from a book, but from Venerable Woongsahn.
He had come to the Yoga studio to guide us in Seon meditation, and I asked him whether Yoga practice could be helpful for Seon meditation. He did not give a long explanation.
“There is an old saying: 行住坐臥.”
At the time, I do not think I fully understood his brief answer. I had asked whether Yoga could support meditation, and he simply spoke of walking, standing, sitting, and lying down.
As time passed, those words began to sound different to me.
Practice does not necessarily begin in a special posture. It can begin in this very body that is already walking, standing, sitting, and lying down.
In Buddhist practice, even these ordinary postures can
become objects of awareness. When walking, one knows that one is walking. When
standing, one knows that one is standing. When sitting, one knows that one is
sitting. When lying down, one knows that one is lying down.
The point is not to create a special body or an unusual
state. It is simply to be aware of what is already happening.
When walking, know that you are walking.
In Aṣṭāṅga Yoga practice, we also
move, stand, sit, and finally lie down.
Of course, I do not mean that Aṣṭāṅga
Yoga was organized according to the Buddhist framework of 行住坐臥. They
are different traditions, with different histories and methods of practice. In
particular, 行
literally refers to walking; Sūrya Namaskāra is not traditionally classified as
行.
But after encountering the idea of 行住坐臥, the
practice I had been doing every day began to look a little different to me.
行
— Knowing That I Am Walking
In Buddhist meditation, practice does not necessarily mean
remaining seated the entire time. One may rise after a period of seated
meditation and continue the practice while walking. This is often referred to
as walking meditation, 行禪.
The methods vary according to tradition. One may simply
remain aware of the fact of walking. One may notice left foot, right foot. Or
one may slow the movement down further and observe the foot lifting, moving
forward, and touching the ground again.
What interests me most is not the difference between these
methods, but the very simple question beneath them all:
Do I know that I am walking right now?
An intention to lift the foot appears. The foot moves. The
sole meets the ground again.
These things happen so naturally and so quickly that in
ordinary life I barely notice them. But when I look more closely, I begin to
see that there is not only movement. There is the intention to move, the
movement itself, and the mind that knows the movement is happening.
There is much more taking place within a single step than I
usually realize.
行
on the Mat
When I bring that question onto the mat, I naturally think
of Sūrya Namaskāra.
I am not suggesting that walking meditation and Sūrya
Namaskāra are the same practice. What interests me is that both can become so
familiar that the body is able to perform them with very little conscious
thought.
After repeating Sūrya Namaskāra countless times, the body
begins to remember the sequence before the mind does. I inhale and lift the
arms. I exhale and fold. The hands meet the floor. The feet move.
Movements that once required deliberate memory eventually
begin to flow by themselves. The body has learned them.
And then something rather interesting can happen.
Sometimes the practice seems to continue even when I am
no longer really there.
My body is doing Sūrya Namaskāra, but my mind has wandered
somewhere else. I may be thinking about what I need to do later that day,
replaying something that happened earlier, or already imagining a posture I
have not even reached yet.
The body may be moving correctly, while I have no idea where
I actually am.
At those moments, I return to the simple question of walking
meditation:
Do I know that I am walking?
And on the mat, perhaps the question becomes:
Do I know that I am raising my arms? Do I know that I am
moving my legs? Do I know that I am inhaling?
Knowing how to perform a movement and fully sensing that
I am here, doing it now, may not be quite the same thing.
住
— Knowing That I Am Standing
After Sūrya Namaskāra, the practice moves into the standing
postures.
This connects with something I have written about before. My
teacher gave me a simple framework for days when practice needed to be short:
five rounds of Sūrya Namaskāra A, three rounds of B, followed by the standing
postures through Pārśvottānāsana.
There was a time when I felt that a practice had to be long
in order to count. I wanted to move beyond Primary into Intermediate, and
sometimes as far toward my limits as I could go, before I felt that I had done
enough.
I no longer feel that way.
In 行住坐臥,
住 means
standing.
Standing sounds like a state in which movement has stopped.
But when I actually pay attention, the body is not still at all.
The pressure beneath the feet changes from moment to moment.
Weight shifts subtly forward and back, from one side to the other. The knees
and pelvis respond. The spine and rib cage continue to reorganize themselves
above them.
This happens in Trikoṇāsana.
It happens in Pārśvottānāsana. From the outside, I may appear to be holding a
single posture, but inside it, countless small adjustments are still taking
place.
In walking meditation, I can observe the foot leaving the
earth and returning to it. In a standing Yoga posture, I can observe how
weight moves within a foot that is staying on the ground.
Perhaps standing does not mean the absence of movement at
all.
This is also where I remember what I wrote about Dṛṣṭi.
My feet may be firmly on the floor while my eyes are already
running somewhere else. My body may be in Trikoṇāsana
while my attention is in the mirror, checking how the posture looks. The moment
I begin asking whether I am doing it well, I may find myself studying the
external shape more carefully than what is actually happening inside the body.
So perhaps the statement “I am standing” contains more than
the fact that two feet are on the ground.
Where am I standing right now?
And perhaps more importantly,
Is my mind standing here too?
坐
— Does Movement End When I Sit?
In the Primary Series, the seated sequence begins with Paścimottānāsana.
I lower myself to the floor and extend both legs forward.
坐.
I sit.
On some days, I begin with Paścimottānāsana and continue
through the seated postures of Primary. On another day, I may bring in
something I learned from the beginning of Intermediate. When appropriate, I may
work with a seated posture from the Advanced Series as well.
There was a time when it mattered a great deal to me which
series a posture belonged to.
Primary. Intermediate. Advanced.
Even the names seemed to suggest a staircase leading upward.
But the way I see the series gradually changed through
studying with my teacher. A posture began to feel less like a medal proving
that I had reached a certain level and more like a tool I could use to
explore and practice with the body I have on that particular day.
So the question that matters more to me now is not,
Which series does this posture belong to?
but rather,
What am I seeing while I am here in this posture?
This connects with something I wrote before in The NextPosture Is the Next Spiritual Friend.
Doing the next posture does not necessarily mean moving to
the next level. Sometimes a Paścimottānāsana I have practiced hundreds of times
brings me a question that feels completely new.
The posture may be the same, but my body is not the same as
yesterday. My breath is different. My mind is different.
I am sitting, yet change continues to happen within the
sitting.
臥
— Is the Mind Lying Down Too?
At the end of practice, the body finally comes down to the
floor.
臥.
I lie down.
Śavāsana.
From the outside, it may look like the posture in which I am
doing the least. I am no longer walking or standing. I am no longer trying to
move the body somewhere else.
I simply lie down.
But just because the body is lying down does not mean the
mind has lain down with it.
The mind may be replaying a posture that went particularly
well and enjoying it all over again. It may still be wrestling with one that
did not go well. I may wonder why my body felt so stiff today, only to find
myself a moment later thinking about what I should eat for dinner.
The body is clearly in 臥, while the mind is still
walking, running, and grasping.
That is why even the simple recognition, “I am lying down
now,” can sometimes feel like part of the practice.
I am lying here.
The floor is supporting me.
There is no next posture.
At least for this moment, there is nowhere else I need to
arrive.
Walking Again
Eventually, I get up.
I roll up the mat and step outside.
I walk.
I walk to the car, sit down to drive home, sit again at the
table, and eventually lie down at night.
行住坐臥
The formal practice may have ended, but the body continues
doing the same four things.
Perhaps that is part of why I like the expression 行住坐臥 so
much.
I do not need to create a special body in order to practice.
I do not need an impressive posture. I do not need to be particularly flexible
or able to stand upside down.
If I am walking, there is a walking body. If I am standing,
there is a standing body. There is a body sitting and a body lying down.
And I can observe it.
When I think about 行住坐臥
for a little longer, it also brings to mind a larger movement of time. Buddhism
speaks of birth, aging, illness, and death — 生老病死.
In the āśrama framework of Hindu tradition, human life is also described
through four stages: brahmacarya, the period of learning; gṛhastha, the life of the
householder; vānaprastha, a gradual withdrawal from worldly
responsibilities; and sannyāsa, the life of renunciation and letting go.
These teachings come from different histories and serve
different purposes, but they leave me with a similar thought:
We are not beings who remain in one place forever.
Just as the body walks, stands, sits, and lies down, life
itself continually changes its position. Perhaps practice, then, is not so much
about learning how to hold one posture for as long as possible, but about learning
to notice the self that is already changing.
Seen this way, the boundary between the time when I am
practicing Aṣṭāṅga Yoga and the time when I am
not begins to soften.
If I feel the soles of my feet carefully on the mat but
forget them the moment I step off it, what exactly was I studying?
If I practice returning my gaze through Dṛṣṭi but allow one passing remark
from someone else to carry my mind completely away, how far does that practice
really extend?
Watching the breath, observing the body, and studying
posture eventually return to life after the mat has been rolled up.
There was a time when I thought about practice in terms of
one hour, two hours, or three hours.
Now I feel it a little differently.
Perhaps practice is not defined only by a beginning and an
end.
Perhaps there are moments when I notice, moments when I
forget, and moments when I return again.
Knowing That I Am Walking
What I like about walking meditation is how ordinary it is.
I lift the foot. I move it forward. I put it down again.
Another step.
A thought may arise. Something in the body may feel
uncomfortable. The mind may wander somewhere entirely different. Then I notice.
And I return to the next step.
Perhaps the mat is not so different.
In Sūrya Namaskāra, the body moves. In the standing
postures, I stand. In the seated postures, I sit. In Śavāsana, I lie down.
And in each place I can ask again:
Am I here now?
This question will not make a posture perfect. I doubt any
question can do that.
But perhaps it can help me see a little more clearly what is
happening right now.
The Body Is Always in Some Posture
行.
住. 坐. 臥.
Walking, standing, sitting, lying down.
Four postures so ordinary that it almost seems strange to
call them part of a practice.
And yet the body is almost always in one of them.
When walking, I know that I am walking.
When standing, I know that I am standing.
When sitting, I know that I am sitting.
When lying down, I know that I am lying down.
And what about you? What are you doing right now?
Are you walking?
Standing?
Sitting?
Or lying down?
And right now, do you know that you are doing it?
This is a record of one practitioner’s personal
experiences and studies. References to anatomy and yoga are not intended as
medical diagnosis or treatment. Some names have been changed out of respect for
personal privacy.
Related Reflections
걷고,
서고, 앉고, 눕는 동안
行住坐臥
— 몸은 언제나 어떤 자세에 있다
사람의 몸은 하루 종일 끊임없이 자세를 바꾼다.
걷고, 서고, 앉고, 눕는다.
불교에서는 이를 행주좌와(行住坐臥)라고 한다.
行,
걷는다.
住, 선다.
坐, 앉는다.
臥, 눕는다.
아주 특별한 자세들은 아니다.
너무 평범해서 평소에는 자세라고 생각하지도 않는 것들이다.
집 안을 걷고,
부엌에 서 있고,
의자에 앉고,
밤이 되면 눕는다.
아마 하루 동안 가장 많이 반복하면서도 가장 적게 관찰하는 몸의 모습일 것이다.
내가 행주좌와라는 말을 처음 들은 것은 책에서가 아니었다. 웅산스님이 요가원에 오셔서 선명상을 지도해주시던 날이었다. 나는 스님께 요가 수련이 선명상에 도움이 되는지 물었다. 스님은 길게 설명하지 않으셨다.
옛말에 "행주좌와"라고 했어요.
그때는 그 짧은 대답을 충분히 이해하지 못했던 것 같다. 나는 요가가 명상에 도움이 되는지 물었는데, 스님은 걷고, 서고, 앉고, 눕는 것이라 간단히 대답하셨다.
시간이 지나면서 그 말이 조금씩 다르게 들리기 시작했다.
수행은 반드시 특별한 자세에서 시작되는 것이 아니라, 이미 걷고 있고, 서 있고, 앉아 있고, 누워 있는 이 몸에서 시작될 수도 있다는 것.
불교 수행에서는 바로 이런 평범한 자세도 관찰의 대상이 된다.
걸을 때는 걷고 있음을 알고,
서 있을 때는 서 있음을 알고,
앉아 있을 때는 앉아 있음을 알고,
누워 있을 때는 누워 있음을 안다.
특별한 몸을 만들어내는 것이 아니라,
이미 하고 있는 것을 알아차리는 것이다.
걸을 때,
걷고 있음을 안다.
아쉬탕가 요가 수련에서도 우리는 움직이고,
서고, 앉고, 마지막에 눕는다.
물론 아쉬탕가 요가가 불교의 행주좌와를 기준으로 만들어졌다는 뜻은 아니다.
서로 다른 역사와 수행방법을 가진 두 전통이다.
특히 行은 본래 걷는다는 뜻이며,
Sūrya Namaskāra를 行이라고 부르는 것도 아니다.
다만 행주좌와를 접하고 나니,
내가 매일 해오던 수련이 조금 다르게 보이기 시작한다.
行
— 걷고 있다는 것을 아는 것
불교 명상에서는 좌선만 계속하는 것이 아니다.
일정 시간 앉아 있다가 일어나 걸으며 수행을 이어가기도 한다.
이를 행선(行禪)이라고 한다.
걷기수행의 방법은 전통에 따라 조금씩 다르다.
걷고 있음을 그대로 알아차리기도 하고,
왼발과 오른발을 구분해서 보기도 한다.
더 천천히 걸으며 발이 들리고,
앞으로 움직이고,
다시 바닥에 닿는 과정을 하나씩 관찰할 수도 있다.
내가 흥미롭게 느끼는 것은 이렇게 다양한 방법보다 그 저변에 깔려있는 아주 단순한 질문이다.
지금 내가 걷고 있다는 것을 알고 있는가?
발을 들려는 마음이 생긴다.
발이 움직인다.
발바닥이 다시 땅을 만난다.
평소에는 너무 자연스럽고 빨리 일어나서 거의 보지 못했던 일들이다.
가만히 들여다보면 움직임만 있는 것도 아니다.
움직이려는 의도가 있고,
실제 움직임이 있고,
그 움직임을 알아차리는 마음이 있다.
한 걸음 내딛는 일 안에도 생각보다 많은 일이 일어나고 있다.
매트 위의 行
이 질문을 가지고 매트 위에 서면 자연스럽게 Sūrya Namaskāra가 떠오른다.
걷기수행과
Sūrya Namaskāra가 같은 수행이라는 말은 아니다.
다만 둘 모두 익숙해지면 생각하지 않고도 하는 움직임이라는 점이 내게는 흥미롭다.
Sūrya Namaskāra를 수없이 반복하다 보면 몸이 먼저 순서를 기억한다.
들이쉬며 팔을 올리고,
내쉬며 몸을 접는다.
손이 바닥을 만나고,
발이 움직인다.
처음에는 하나씩 기억해야 했던 동작이 어느 순간부터는 자연스럽게 이어진다.
몸이 익혔다는 뜻이다.
그런데 몸이 너무 잘 기억하기 시작하면 조금 재미있는 일도 생긴다.
그곳에 내가 없어도 수련이 진행되는 것 같은 때가 있다.
몸은
Sūrya Namaskāra를 하고 있는데 마음은 다른 곳에 가 있다.
오늘 해야 할 일을 생각하기도 하고,
전에 있었던 일을 다시 떠올리기도 한다.
아직 하지도 않은 다음 자세를 벌써 그려보고 있을 때도 있다.
몸은 제대로 움직이고 있는데 정작 나는 어디에 있는지…
그때 걷기수행의 단순한 물음으로 다시 돌아온다.
나는 지금 걷고 있는 걸 알고 있는가.
그렇다면 매트에서는 이렇게 물어볼 수도 있겠다.
지금 나는 팔을 올리고 있다는 걸 알고 있는가.
지금 나는 다리를 움직인다는 것을 알고 있는가.
지금 나는 숨을 들이쉬고 있다는 것을 알고 있는가.
어떤 동작을 할 줄 아는 것과,
내가 그 동작을 하고 있음을 충분히 느끼고 머무르는 것은 조금 다른 일인지도…
住
— 서 있다는 것
Sūrya Namaskāra를 마치면 선 자세로 들어간다.
이 부분은 이전에 썼던 나의 수련 이야기와도 이어진다.
선생님이 짧게라도 매일 수련할 수 있는 기본적인 틀로 알려주신 것은 Sūrya Namaskāra A 다섯 번과 B 세 번을 하고,
Pārśvottānāsana까지의 선 자세들을 이어가는 것이었다.
예전에는 수련이 길어야 뭔가 제대로 했다고 느끼던 시기가 있었다.
Primary를 지나
Intermediate로,
때로는 그 너머 한계까지 가야 충분히 했다고 생각하기도 했다.
지금은 꼭 그렇지 않다.
행주좌와의 住는 서 있는 것이다.
서 있다는 말은 마치 움직임이 멈춘 상태처럼 들린다.
하지만 실제로 들여다보면 우리 몸은 전혀 멈춰 있지 않다.
찰나찰나 발바닥의 압력이 달라진다.
체중은 앞뒤와 좌우 사이로 미세하게 움직인다.
무릎과 골반이 반응하고,
척추와 갈비뼈도 그 위에서 계속 자리를 찾는다.
Trikoṇāsana에 있을 때도 그렇고
Pārśvottānāsana에 있을 때도 그렇다.
겉으로는 하나의 자세를 유지하고 있지만 그 안에서는 작은 변화와 조정이 계속 일어난다.
걷기수행에서는 발이 땅을 떠났다 다시 만나는 것을 본다면,
요가의 선 자세에서는 발 안의 무게가 어떻게 움직이는지 볼 수도 있다.
서 있다는 것은 움직임이 없다는 뜻이 아닐지도 모른다.
여기서 예전에 썼던
Dṛṣṭi에 관한 글이 떠오른다.
발은 바닥에 있는데 눈은 다른 곳으로 달려갈 수 있다.
몸은 Trikoṇāsana 안에 있는데 마음은 거울 속 내 모습에 가 있을 수도 있다.
내가 잘하고 있는지 확인하려는 순간,
몸 안에서 일어나는 일보다 밖에서 보이는 모양을 더 열심히 보고 있을 때도 있다.
그렇다면
“나는 지금 서 있다”는 말에는 단순히 두 발로 서 있다는 사실보다 조금 더 많은 것이 들어 있을지도 모른다.
나는 지금 어디에 서 있는가.
그리고,
내 마음도 여기 서 있는가.
坐
— 앉으면 움직임이 끝나는가
프라이머리 시리즈에서는 Paścimottānāsana부터 앉은 자세의 흐름이 시작된다.
몸을 바닥으로 내리고 두 다리를 앞으로 뻗는다.
坐.
앉는다.
어떤 날에는
Paścimottānāsana에서 시작해 프라이머리 자세들을 이어간다.
다른 날에는 인터미디엇의 도입부에서 배운 자세를 가져오기도 하고,
필요하다면 어드밴스드 시리즈의 앉은 자세를 수련할 수도 있다.
예전에는 어느 자세가 어느 시리즈에 속해 있는가가 크게 느껴졌다.
Primary. Intermediate. Advanced.
이름만 들어도 어딘가 위로 올라가는 계단처럼 느껴질 때가 있었다.
하지만 선생님에게 배우면서 시리즈를 바라보는 방식도 조금씩 바뀌었다.
자세는 내가 어느 단계에 도달했는지를 보여주는 메달이라기보다,
그날그날의 몸을 탐구하고 수련하기 위해 사용할 수 있는 하나의 도구처럼 느껴지기 시작했다.
그래서 지금 내게 더 중요한 질문은 이 자세는 어느 시리즈에 속하는가?라기 보다,
이 자세에 있는 동안 나는 무엇을 보고 있는가?
이것이다.
이는 전에 썼던 「다음 자세는 다음 선지식이다」라는 글과도 이어진다.
다음 자세를 한다는 것이 반드시 다음 단계로 올라가는 것을 의미하지는 않는다.
때로는 이미 수없이 연습했던
Paścimottānāsana가 오늘 처음 해보는 것처럼 새로운 질문을 가져온다.
같은 자세지만 몸은 어제와 다르고 호흡도 다르고,
마음도 다르기 때문이다.
나는 앉아 있지만 그 안에서는 계속 변화가 일어난다.
臥
— 몸도,
마음도 누워 있나
그리고 수련의 마지막에는 몸을 바닥에 내려놓는다.
臥.
눕는다.
Śavāsana.
겉으로 보면 수련 중 가장 아무것도 하지 않는 자세다.
걷지도 않고,
서 있지도 않고,
몸을 어디론가 더 보내려고 애쓰지도 않는다.
그냥 눕는다.
그런데 몸이 누웠다고 해서 마음까지 함께 누워 있는 것은 아니다.
마음은 조금 전 잘된 자세를 다시 돌려보면서 음미하고 있을 수 있다.
잘 되지 않았던 자세와 아직도 씨름하고 있을 수도 있다.
오늘은 왜 몸이 이렇게 뻣뻣하지 생각하다가 갑자기 오늘 저녁에 무엇을 먹을까 고민하고 있을 수도 있다.
몸은 분명 臥인데 마음은 계속 걷고,
뛰고, 붙잡는다.
그래서
“나는 지금 누워 있다”는 너무나 단순한 사실을 아는 것조차 하나의 수련처럼 느껴질 때가 있다.
나는 누워 있다.
바닥이 나를 받치고 있다.
더 이상 다음 자세는 없다.
적어도 지금 이 순간에는 어디에도 도착할 필요가 없다.
다시 걷기
그리고 결국 다시 일어난다.
매트를 말고 밖으로 나간다.
걷는다.
차까지 걷고,
앉아서 운전해 집에 돌아간다.
식탁에 앉고,
밤이 되면 다시 눕는다.
行住坐臥
수련 시간이 끝났어도 몸은 계속 같은 네 가지 일을 하고 있다.
아마 내가 행주좌와란 말을 좋아하는 이유도 여기 있는 것 같다.
요가 수련을 위해 특별한 몸을 따로 만들 필요는 없다.
멋진 자세도 필요 없다.
유연할 필요도 없고,
거꾸로 설 필요도 없다.
걷고 있다면 걷는 몸이 있다.
서 있다면 서 있는 몸이 있다.
앉아 있고,
누워 있는 몸이 있다.
그리고 그것을 볼 수 있다.
행주좌와를 곰곰히 생각하다 보면 몸의 네 자세보다 조금 더 긴 시간의 흐름도 떠오른다.
불교에서는 태어나고,
늙고, 병들고, 죽는 생로병사(生老病死)를 이야기하고,
인도의 āśrama
전통에서는 우리의 삶을 배우는 시기인 brahmacarya, 가정을 이루고 살아가는 gṛhastha,
세속의 역할에서 조금씩 물러나는 vānaprastha, 그리고 모든 걸 놓아가는 sannyāsa의 네 단계로 바라본다.
서로 다른 역사와 목적을 가진 가르침들이지만,
내게는 한 가지 비슷한 생각을 남긴다.
우리는 계속 같은 자리에 머무는 존재가 아니라는 것.
몸이 걷다가 서고,
앉았다가 눕듯이 삶도 끊임없이 자리를 바꾼다.
그렇다면 수련은 한 자세를 오래 붙잡는 법보다,
변화하고 있는 나를 알아차리는 법을 배우는 일인지도 모른다.
이렇게 생각하면 아쉬탕가 요가를 하고 있을 때와 하지 않을 때의 경계도 조금 흐려진다.
매트 위에서 발바닥을 세심하게 느끼다가 매트를 벗어나자마자 모두 잊어버린다면,
내가 공부하고 있던 것은 무엇이었을까.
Dṛṣṭi를 통해 시선을 돌아오는 연습을 하다가 누군가의 말 한마디에 마음이 완전히 끌려가버린다면,
그 수련은 어디까지 이어질 수 있을까.
호흡을 관찰하고,
몸을 보고,
자세를 공부하는 일은 결국 매트를 접은 뒤의 삶으로 돌아온다.
예전에는 수련을 한 시간,
두 시간,
세 시간으로 생각한 적도 있었다.
지금은 조금 다르게 느낀다.
수련에는 시작과 끝만 있는 것이 아니라,
알아차리는 순간이 있고,
잊어버리는 순간이 있고,
다시 돌아오는 순간이 있는 것인지도 모른다.
걷고 있음을 아는 것
걷기수행에서 내가 좋아하는 것은 그것이 너무 평범하다는 점이다.
발을 든다.
앞으로 내민다.
다시 내려놓는다.
또 한 걸음.
생각이 생길 수도 있다.
몸 어딘가가 불편할 수도 있다.
마음이 전혀 다른 곳으로 가버릴 수도 있다.
그러다가 그것을 알아차린다.
그리고 다시 한 걸음으로 돌아온다.
매트 위에서도 어쩌면 크게 다르지 않을 것이다.
Sūrya Namaskāra에서 몸이 움직인다.
Standing posture에서 선다.
Seated posture에서 앉는다.
Śavāsana에서 눕는다.
그리고 각각의 자리에서 다시 묻는다.
나는 지금 여기 있는가.
이 질문이 자세를 완벽하게 만들어주지는 않는다.
아마 아무 자세도 완벽하게 만들어주지 않을 것이다.
대신 지금 일어나고 있는 것을 조금 더 잘 볼 수 있게 해주는 질문은 될 수 있다.
몸은 언제나 어떤 자세에 있다
行.
住.
坐.
臥.
걷고,
서고, 앉고, 눕는다.
너무 평범해서 특별한 수행이라고 부르기조차 어려운 네 가지 자세.
그러나 몸은 거의 언제나 그 가운데 하나에 있다.
걷고 있을 때 걷고 있음을 알고,
서 있을 때 서 있음을 알고,
앉아 있을 때 앉아 있음을 알고,
누워 있을 때 누워 있음을 안다.
여러분은 지금 무엇을 하고 계신가요?
걷고 있나요?
서 있나요?
앉아 있나요?
아니면 누워 있나요?
이 글은 한 수련자의 개인적인 경험과 공부를 기록한 것입니다. 해부학과 요가에 관한 내용은 의료적 진단이나 치료를 대신하지 않습니다. 개인의 사생활을 존중하기 위해 일부 이름은 가명으로 표기합니다.
함께 읽어볼 글
.jpg)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment