Mysore — Practicing Alone, Together
When I first walked into a Mysore class, my first impression
was simple: Ah, this is truly a space for practice.
In a typical Yoga class, an instructor usually stands at the
front and the students follow along. The teacher raises an arm, and everyone
raises an arm. The teacher folds forward, and everyone folds. You do not
necessarily have to remember what comes next. You can simply look toward the
front.
Mysore was different. There was a teacher in the room, but
no one stood in front of me continuously demonstrating what to do. The other
students were not all doing the same posture either. Someone might be
practicing Sūrya Namaskāra, someone else might be seated on the floor, while
another person could be in a deep backbend or inversion.
What mattered most in that room was my own movement.
I had to understand the condition of my own body. I had to
decide what came next by remembering the sequence myself, consulting a book, or
asking the teacher. I had to explore my own inhalation and exhalation rather
than simply follow someone else’s rhythm.
It was a movement away from following a class and into the
experience of having my own practice.
As Free as It Is a Little Confusing
For a beginner, Mysore can be a surprisingly complex place.
It is free, and because of that, it can also be confusing.
There can be tension, and sometimes not so much loneliness
as a feeling of learning to stand on your own. And of course, there is also a
lot of fun.
Not having someone constantly tell you what movement comes
next is a bigger change than it may seem. Now I was the one leading my own
sequence. There was a great deal to remember: the postures, the breath, Dṛṣṭi, the transitions between
movements, and many other details.
At first, I studied the sequence almost as though I were
preparing for an exam. But memorizing it with the mind, like cramming from a
textbook, did not mean the body immediately understood it.
It took a long time for my body to digest the sequence. In
my case, I think it took well over a year.
Then one day, I realized that I was already moving without
consciously trying to remember what came next. The hand moved. The foot moved.
The breath continued. Before I could even search for the name of the next
posture in my mind, the body was already heading there.
Like water flowing.
From that point on, the sequence began to feel less like a
list I had memorized and more like a path gradually forming inside the body.
Not Becoming Too Serious
A Mysore room is a place of strong concentration. Because
everyone is moving deeply within their own practice, there is usually less
talking, and the sound of breathing becomes central.
I love that atmosphere.
But there is also something I think we should be careful of:
practice becoming too serious or rigid.
Quietness and solemnity are not the same thing.
Concentration and tension are not the same thing either. A room full of people
with closed expressions, silently staring at their own mats, is not necessarily
a deeper practice simply because it feels more severe or intense.
At some point, the atmosphere itself can become too heavy.
So, I sometimes play soft music. Sometimes we talk.
Sometimes a short joke is enough to bring attention back when everyone has
become too rigid.
There is breath. There is concentration. And between them,
there is also a little space.
That is the kind of room I experienced in my teacher’s
shala, and it is the kind of atmosphere I try to grow toward myself.
The Mat Next to You Is Closer Than You Think
Mysore is a method in which everyone practices individually,
but that does not mean the people around you disappear.
In fact, they can be very easy to notice.
Someone may be practicing a deep backbend I cannot yet do.
Someone else may look completely at ease in an inversion. Another person’s body
may be remarkably flexible, and their movement genuinely beautiful.
Then the mind moves.
How do they do that? When will I get there? Why can’t I
do what they can do?
Comparison does not arise because there is something
unusually wrong with us. It simply happens. And it becomes especially easy when
we see dramatic backbends or inversions.
Perhaps in the past I would have thought I needed to
eliminate those feelings. Now I think of them as part of the practice too.
I notice that I am comparing. I notice that I am envious.
And then I return to my own mat.
Even when another person’s posture catches my eye in Mysore,
the work in front of me does not change.
Back to my breath.
Back to my body.
Back to the posture I am doing right now.
The Breath from the Next Mat
Other practitioners are not only objects of comparison.
Sometimes they are enormous help.
Especially through the sound of their breathing.
Even though everyone in the room may be doing a different
posture, the sound of breath continues. Someone is standing, someone is
sitting, someone is upside down, yet inhalation and exhalation keep moving
through the room.
As practice continues, the quality and pace of breathing
gradually begin to change. The movement changes with it. At some point, breath
and movement seem to begin resonating with one another.
When I hear that sound, I become steadier too.
No one has told me to breathe that way, but my own breath
begins to deepen. I have not consciously told myself to release tension, but
the body becomes a little softer.
We are not doing the same movement, yet it feels as though
we are inside the same rhythm.
That is why I find it difficult to describe Mysore as a
completely solitary practice. Each person moves with their own breath, but all
those breaths together create the atmosphere of the room.
Teaching with Empty Space
When I remember the Mysore practice I learned from my
teacher, I sometimes think of an ink painting or a black-and-white photograph.
Not every part is filled.
There are not too many words. Explanations are not longer
than they need to be.
Instead, there is empty space.
My teacher would move around the room and, at some moment,
offer a short comment. Or he would show me something very small that I had not
been able to see.
And suddenly,
Ah-hah!
Something would open.
I might have practiced the same posture for months or years
without seeing something, and then one short sentence would make it visible.
Many of those words and teachings are still vivid several
years later. I remember the words themselves, but I also remember the good
intention underneath them.
Not so much an intention to fix me, but a wish to help me
see a little more clearly.
Not Saying the Same Thing to Everyone
One of the interesting things about Mysore is that the
teacher does not teach every student the same thing.
Even in the same room, each person may receive a different
teaching.
One student may be shown another posture. Someone may be
given a variation. Another may be told to stop. Someone else may hear nothing
at all.
At first, it can be a little puzzling when the teacher says
nothing.
Did the teacher not see me today? Am I doing this correctly?
But over time, I began to learn that silence can also be a
kind of teaching.
Perhaps this is a moment when I need to work something out
for myself. Perhaps what I am doing is already enough. Or perhaps there is
something I still need to discover directly.
In a Led Class, one person’s voice moves the whole room. In
Mysore, each individual may need a different word. That is one reason this
method gives me such a strong sense of respect for the individual body.
When No One Is Watching
In Mysore, the teacher is not always beside me. Most of the
time, the teacher is attending to someone else.
Eventually, I am left on my own.And then an interesting
question appears.
How do I practice when no one is watching?
Do I deepen my breath and posture only when the teacher is
looking? Do I become more careful only when someone can see me? Can I maintain
the same attention when there is no possibility of praise? Even if I could go
deeper, can I stop when I know that today’s body is not asking for it? Or do I
become careless simply because nobody is watching?
That question follows me surprisingly far beyond the Mysore
room.
What do I do when no one is watching? Can I continue even
when no one is there to praise me?
Practicing Alone, but Not Alone
From the outside, everyone in the Mysore room seems to be
moving separately. Someone is just beginning. Someone else is already halfway
through. Another person is finishing. We do not follow the same count. We are
not doing the same postures.
And yet, after some time, there are moments when the whole
room seems to be moving in one direction. We breathe, we move, we laugh for a
moment, we speak when necessary, and then we return to our own mats.
Rather than a space where one person teaches and everyone
else simply receives, Mysore feels to me more like a path where we breathe
in the same direction and practice together. The teacher is on that path.
The students are on that path. Some people have many years of experience.
Someone may have arrived for the first time today.
We walk at different speeds in different bodies, but for a
while we share the same space. Perhaps this is also the kind of community I am
drawn to.
Not trying to make everyone the same. Not pulling someone
else along at our own pace.
Giving each person enough room to have their own practice,
while being nearby when they need us. Helping someone stand on their own while
also letting them know that they are not alone.
In Mysore, everyone stands on their own mat. Each person
moves through their own body and finds the way through their own breath. But if
I open my ears a little, someone on the mat beside me is breathing too. And
sometimes I realize that their breath and mine are flowing in the same
direction.
Practicing alone, but not alone.
This
is a record of one practitioner’s personal experiences and studies. References
to anatomy and yoga are not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment. Some
names have been changed out of respect for personal privacy.
Mysore — 혼자 하지만 혼자가 아닌 수련
처음 Mysore 수업에 들어갔을 때 가장 먼저 들었던 느낌은 단순했다.
아, 여기는 정말 수련하는 공간이구나.
일반적인 요가 수업에서는 대개 앞에 강사가 서 있고, 학생들은 그 사람의 움직임을 따라간다. 강사가 팔을 올리면 팔을 올리고, 몸을 숙이면 함께 숙인다. 다음에 무엇을 해야 하는지 굳이 기억하지 않아도 된다. 앞을 보면 된다.
Mysore는 달랐다.
방 안에 선생님은 있지만, 내 앞에서 계속 동작을 보여주는 사람은 없다. 다른 학생들도 모두 같은 자세를 하고 있지 않다. 누군가는 Sūrya Namaskāra를 하고 있고, 누군가는 바닥에 앉아 있으며, 누군가는 깊은 후굴이나 역자세 안에 있다.
그곳에서는 무엇보다 나의 움직임이 중요하다.
나의 몸 상태를 알아야 하고, 다음에 무엇을 할지 스스로 기억해서 하거나 책을 보면서 또는 선생님에게 물어봐서
결정한 후 하고, 숨을 들이쉬고 내쉬는 호흡도 스스로 찾아본다.
누군가를 따라가는 수업에서 벗어나, 자기 수련을 하는 시간으로 들어가는 것이다.
자유로운 만큼 좀 당황스러운 곳
초보자에게 Mysore는 꽤 복잡한 공간일 수 있다.
자유롭다.
그래서 조금 혼란스럽다.
긴장되기도 하고, 때로는 외롭다기 보다는 홀로서는 느낌이다. 물론 재미도 있다.
누군가 계속 다음 동작을 지시하지 않는다는 것은 생각보다 큰 변화다. 이제 내가 시퀀스를 주도한다. 자세와 호흡과 Dṛṣṭi, 움직임의 연결 등 기억해야 할 것이 많았다.
처음에는 거의 시험공부하듯 순서를 외웠다.
그런데 책을 달달 외우듯 머리로 기억한다고 해서 몸이 바로 따라주는 것도 아니다.
몸이 그 순서를 소화하는 데는 꽤 오랜 시간이 걸렸다. 내 경우에는 1년이 훨씬 넘었던 것 같다.
그러던 어느 날,
특별히 다음 자세를 기억하려고 애쓰고 있지 않은데도 몸이 이미 움직이고 있다는 것을 깨닫는다.
손이 간다.
발이 움직인다.
호흡이 이어진다.
다음 자세가 무엇인지 머릿속에서 이름을 찾기도 전에 몸이 먼저 그곳으로 향한다.
물 흐르듯.
그때부터 시퀀스는 암기 목록이라기보다 몸 안에 생기는 길처럼 느껴지기 시작한다.
너무 심각해지지 않기
Mysore 수련실은 집중력이 높은 공간이다.
각자 자기 수련 안으로 깊이 들어가기 때문에 말이 적고, 호흡 소리가 중심이 된다. 그런 분위기를 나는 참 좋아한다.
하지만 동시에 한 가지 경계할 것이 있다.
수련이 지나치게 심각해지는 것.
조용함과 엄숙함은 같은 것이 아니다.
집중과 긴장도 같은 것이 아니다.
모두가 입을 다물고 얼굴을 굳힌 채 자기 매트만 바라보고 있다고 해서 반드시 더 깊은 수련이 되는 것은 아닐 것이다.
오히려 어느 순간 그 공간 자체가 너무 무거워질 수도 있다.
그래서 내가 함께 수련하는 공간에서는 때때로 잔잔한 음악을 틀기도 한다. 가끔 대화를 하고, 짧은 농담으로 굳어 있던 주의를 환기시키기도 한다.
숨이 있고,
집중이 있고,
그 사이에 약간의 여백도 있는 것.
나는 그런 공간을 선생님의 샬라에서 느꼈고 닮아가려 한다.
옆 매트는 생각보다 가깝다
Mysore는 각자 자신의 수련을 하는 방식이지만, 그렇다고 다른 사람이 보이지 않는 것은 아니다.
오히려 아주 잘 보인다.
누군가는 내가 아직 하지 못하는 깊은 후굴을 한다. 누군가는 역자세에서 아주 편안해 보인다. 누군가의 몸은 내가 보기에도 놀랄 만큼 유연하고, 움직임은 아름답다.
그러면 마음이 움직인다.
저건 어떻게 하지?
나는 언제 저기까지 갈까?
왜 나는 저만큼 되지 않지?
비교는 특별한 사람이어서 생기는 것이 아니다. 그냥 일어난다. 화려한 후굴이나 역자세를 보면 더욱 그렇다. 이전에는 이런 마음을 없애야 한다고 생각했을지도 모르겠다. 지금은 그냥 그것도 수련의 일부라고 생각한다.
비교하고 있다는 것을 본다. 부러워하고 있다는 것도 본다.
그리고 다시 내 매트로 돌아온다.
Mysore에서는 옆 사람의 자세가 눈에 들어와도 결국 내 할 일은 변하지 않는다.
다시 내 호흡.
다시 내 몸.
다시 지금 하고 있는 그 자세.
옆 사람의 호흡
그런데 다른 사람은 비교의 대상만 되는 것이 아니다.
때로는 아주 큰 도움을 준다.
특히 호흡 소리가 그렇다.
방 안에서 여러 사람이 각자 다른 자세를 하고 있는데도 호흡은 계속 들린다. 누군가는 서 있고, 누군가는 앉아 있고, 누군가는 거꾸로 서 있지만 들숨과 날숨은 이어진다.
수련이 조금 진행되면 호흡의 질과 속도가 서서히 변화한다.
움직임도 함께... 어느 순간 호흡과 움직임이 서로 공명하기 시작한다.
그 소리를 들으면 나도 안정된다.
누가 나에게 그렇게 하라고 말하지 않았는데도 내 호흡도 조금 깊어진다.
긴장을 풀라고 의식하지 않았는데도 몸이 조금 부드러워진다.
같은 동작을 하고 있지 않은데도, 같은 리듬 안에 있다는 느낌이 든다.
그래서 Mysore를 완전히 혼자 하는 수련이라고 말하기는 어렵다.
각자는 자기 호흡으로 움직이지만, 그 호흡들이 모여 방 전체의 분위기를 만든다.
여백이 있는 가르침
내가 선생님에게 배운 Mysore의 기억을 떠올리면, 수묵화나 흑백사진이 생각날 때가 있다.
모든 곳을 꽉 채우지 않는다.
말도 많지 않다. 설명도 필요 이상으로 길지 않다. 대신 여백이 있다.
선생님은 방 안을 돌아다니시다가 어느 순간 짧은 말을 하나 건네셨다. 혹은 내가 보지 못하던 것을 아주 작게 보여주셨다.
그러면 갑자기,
아하.
하고 열린다.
그전까지 몇 달, 몇 년 동안 같은 자세를 해왔는데도 보이지 않던 것이 그 한마디로 보일 때가 많다.
그런 말과 가르침들은 몇 년이 지난 지금도 생생하다.
말 자체도 기억나지만, 그 아래에 있던 선한 의도가 함께 기억난다.
나를 고쳐놓겠다는 의도보다, 내가 조금 더 볼 수 있게 도우려는 마음.
모두에게 같은 말을 하지 않는 것
Mysore에서 흥미로운 점 중 하나는 선생님이 모든 학생에게 같은 것을 가르치지 않는다는 것이다. 같은 방에 있어도 사람마다 받는 가르침이 다르다.
누군가에게는 자세 하나를 더 알려준다.
누군가에게는 그만하라고 한다.
누군가에게는 자세를 조금 바꾸어 준다.
또 누군가에게는 아무 말도 하지 않는다.
처음에는 선생님이 아무 말도 하지 않으면 조금 의아해 할 수도 있다.
오늘은 나를 안 봤나?
내가 잘하고 있는 건가?
그런데 시간이 지나면 침묵도 하나의 가르침이 될 수 있다는 것을 배운다.
지금은 스스로 해볼 때일 수도 있다.
이미 충분할 수도 있다.
혹은 아직 내가 직접 발견해야 하는 부분일 수도 있다.
Led Class에서는 한 사람의 말이 방 전체를 움직인다. Mysore에서는 한 사람 한 사람에게 다른 말이 필요하다. 그래서 나는 이 Mysore 방식에서 개인의 몸을 존중하는 느낌을 받는다.
누가 보고 있지 않을 때
Mysore에서는 선생님이 늘 내 옆에 있지 않는다. 다른 학생을 보고 있을 때가 훨씬 많다. 그러면 결국 혼자 남는다.
그 순간 꽤 재미있는 질문이 생긴다.
누가 보고 있지 않을 때 나는 어떻게 수련하는가.
선생님이 보고 있을 때만 호흡과 자세를 깊게 하는가. 누군가 보고 있을 때만 정성스럽게 하는가. 칭찬받을 가능성이 없는데도 같은 집중을 유지하는가. 조금 더 깊이 갈 수 있어도 오늘의 몸이 아니라고 느껴지면 멈출 수 있는가. 반대로 아무도 보지 않는다고 대충 넘어가지는 않는가.
이 질문은 Mysore 수련실 밖으로도 꽤 멀리 따라온다.
아무도 보고 있지 않을 때 나는 무엇을 하는가. 누가 칭찬하지 않아도 계속할 수 있는가.
혼자 하지만 혼자가 아니다
겉으로 보면 Mysore 수련실 에서는 모두가 따로 움직인다.
누군가는 시작하고,
누군가는 이미 중간에 있고,
누군가는 수련을 마무리한다.
같은 카운트를 따르지도 않는다.
같은 자세를 하지도 않는다.
그런데 시간이 지나면 이상하게도 방 전체가 한 방향으로 가고 있다는 느낌이 들 때가 있다.
숨을 쉬고, 움직이고, 잠시 웃고, 필요하면 말을 나누고, 그리고 다시 각자의 매트로 돌아간다.
누가 누구를 일방적으로 가르치고, 누가 일방적으로 배우는 공간이라기보다, 같은 방향으로 숨 쉬면서 함께 수련하는 길. 나는 Mysore를 그렇게 느낀다.
선생님도 그 길 안에 있고, 학생도 그 길 안에 있다.
경험이 많은 사람도 있고, 오늘 처음 온 사람도 있다.
서로 다른 몸과 다른 속도로 걷지만, 잠시 같은 공간을 공유한다. 어쩌면 내가 좋아하는 공동체도 이런 모습인지 모르겠다.
서로를 똑같이 만들려고 하지 않는 것. 누군가를 자기 속도로 끌어당기지 않는 것. 각자가 자기 수련을 할 수 있을 만큼의 공간을 주면서, 필요할 때는 옆에 있는 것. 혼자 설 수 있게 해주면서도, 혼자가 아니라는 것을 알게 해주는 것.
Mysore에서는 모두가 자기 매트 위에 있다.
자기 몸으로 움직이고, 자기 호흡으로 길을 찾는다. 그런데 귀를 조금 열어보면, 옆 매트에서도 누군가 숨을 쉬고 있다.
그리고 어느 순간, 그 숨과 내 숨이 같은 방향으로 흐르고 있다는 것을 느낀다.
혼자 하지만, 혼자가 아니다.
이 글은 한 수련자의 개인적인 경험과 공부를 기록한 것입니다. 해부학과 요가에 관한 내용은 의료적 진단이나 치료를 대신하지 않습니다. 개인의 사생활을 존중하기 위해 일부 이름은 가명으로 표기합니다.
함께 읽어볼 글
.jpg)

No comments:
Post a Comment