Climbing the Mountain, Coming Home
I began practicing Ashtanga Yoga at thirty-nine.
Before that, apart from walking, I had never exercised consistently.
When my daughter was about four months old, I caused a car accident. The airbag hit me hard in the center of my chest, and for about six months afterward I could barely turn my neck from side to side.
I received physical therapy and acupuncture regularly. But with young children at home, spending a couple of hours traveling to treatment, waiting, and coming back felt like a significant burden at the time.
It was my body. Was there something I could do at home to take care of it myself?
With that thought, I searched YouTube for yoga and came across a video.
It was an old Primary Series Ashtanga video in which my teacher’s father guided six students.
I had no real idea what the people on the screen were doing.
But for some reason, I could not look away.
So I began following along at home by myself.
For the first time in my life, I felt as though I were really moving my body. After practice, my whole body would feel pleasantly tired, and there was a strange sensation that parts of me that had always seemed separate were briefly communicating with one another.
I liked that feeling.
And somehow, I formed a surprisingly clear first goal.
I’ll make it through Second Series.
At the time, Primary alone looked difficult enough. In Chaturanga Dandasana, instead of lowering myself with control, I was more likely to surrender into the arms of gravity and fall almost directly to the floor.
Still, for some reason, I wanted to go as far as I knew there was to go.
At that time, Second Series was the farthest place I knew.
At First, I Thought I Had to Do More
The Ashtanga series looked to me like a path up a mountain.
Primary, then Intermediate.
Intermediate, then Advanced came next…
Learn one posture, move on to the next. Finish one series, then climb into another.
It seemed natural to think of that as progress.
Being able to do a more difficult posture felt like proof that I had advanced further.
And from that came several other beliefs.
"You had to be flexible enough."
"You had to practice for a long time every day."
"If you wanted to do difficult postures, you had to keep pushing your body toward its limits."
"If you could not do one posture perfectly, it was probably better not to attempt the next."
I was diligent about putting those ideas into practice.
I would begin around five in the morning, just as dawn was breaking.
I would finish Primary and continue directly into Intermediate. Some days, I went on into the middle of Third Series.
By then, three hours had easily passed.
As much as I could possibly do that day.
I believed that doing more would make me progress faster.
If I took a day off, I felt as though I might fall behind. If I practiced for a shorter time, it felt insufficient.
Looking back, I was pushing my practice with something close to compulsion.
Whether my body had agreed to that plan was another matter.
I Thought Enduring Pain Was Part of Practice
During those years, pain seemed to move around my body.
My neck, shoulders, and the area behind my shoulder blades were especially troublesome.
One place would begin to feel better, and another would start hurting. Then that would improve, and something else would become uncomfortable.
I did not find this particularly strange.
Maybe this was simply what happened when you practiced yoga deeply.
Maybe changing the body required a certain amount of pain.
Maybe difficult things simply had to be endured.
It was not one particular posture or movement that was the problem.
It was my entire attitude toward practice.
How far I was supposed to get that day mattered more than the condition of my body.
I was more interested in reproducing the visible shape than in understanding what was actually happening inside.
I Began Learning Practice Again
From the first time I met my teacher, I had the feeling that he could see through me rather well.
He did not try to smash the various rigid ideas I had built up.
Instead, with his particular sense of humor and quick wit, he gradually softened them.
That did not mean he simply told me to do less.
When there was more I could do, he was precise about it. When I needed to make more effort, he told me so.
And he remembered things I had struggled with years before, watching how they changed over time.
Through that process, many of the things I had assumed were simply true about Ashtanga Yoga began to loosen.
I did not have to do everything every day.
I did not have to push every posture to its limit.
Sometimes I could leave something out.
Sometimes I could move past one posture, explore another movement first, and return later.
At first, that freedom made me uneasy.
I had believed that following the prescribed sequence perfectly was what Ashtanga Yoga meant.
But over time, I began to understand something.
Having choices does not mean doing whatever you want.
If anything, it brings more responsibility.
Why am I skipping this posture today?
Because my body is telling me something, or because I simply do not want to do it?
Why do I want to go a little further today?
Because my body is ready, or because I want to succeed?
Rest?
Avoidance?
Challenge?
Attachment?
I had to watch my body and mind more carefully than when I was simply following the sequence.
Advanced Brought Me Back to Primary
At first, Intermediate was my goal.
But as I moved closer to it, I naturally became curious about what lay beyond.
My practice now includes exploring the various series and postures collectively referred to as Advanced.
Over time, I began to understand a little more about why the postures had been arranged in the order they were.
It is somewhat like peeling the layers of an onion,
and somewhat like building a house.
First, you establish a foundation.
Then you build the next structure upon it.
The strength and movement learned earlier prepare the body for what comes next.
And the movements experienced later come back and change what came before.
Something interesting happens after exploring a broad range of Advanced postures and then returning to Primary.
Primary has changed.
Of course, the series itself has not changed.
My body has.
The changes in my shoulders, rib cage, and hips have sometimes felt almost like receiving a new body.
The same posture contains different space.
Places I once solved through force begin to require less effort. Parts of my body that I did not even know how to move sometimes begin moving almost unexpectedly.
At first, I thought Advanced practice meant adding new skills to the body one by one.
Eventually, it began to feel different.
It was not simply a matter of adding something new.
Something fundamental in what was already there was changing.
Climbing the Mountain, Coming Home
Learning a new posture is still fun.
When I encounter something unfamiliar, there is usually a period when I have absolutely no idea how to do it.
I try.
It clearly does not work.
So I try again.
And then one day, a movement appears that I had never felt before.
The process is a little like climbing a mountain.
But climbing higher does not make Primary seem lower or less important.
If anything, I want to return to it more often.
When I practice Primary with a body changed through Advanced work, I notice movements that had become so familiar that I had stopped seeing them.
It feels like coming home.
Perhaps the house has remained the same.
The one who returned has changed.
The Body Remembered More Than I Expected
There were many things my teacher told me that were difficult to believe at first.
One of them was that I did not need to practice a long series every day.
Five rounds of Surya Namaskara A.
Three rounds of Surya Namaskara B.
Then continuing through Parsvottanasana.
He encouraged me simply to maintain that basic framework consistently.
He was probably saying this after watching me stubbornly fill long practice sessions with as many asanas as I could fit into a day.
I remember thinking:
Come on. Can that really be enough to maintain all of this?
If I wanted to keep movements I had worked so hard to gain, surely I had to continue practicing difficult postures.
Surely I had to do more.
But as time passed, a different answer began to emerge.
The basic structure really did remain.
Movements I had experienced in Advanced remained present in other movements even on days when I did not practice those particular postures.
That was when I began to understand, at least a little, why someone who had spent a lifetime practicing and teaching this yoga would emphasize maintaining even such basic movements consistently.
By the time I met my teacher, I had already moved well beyond my youth and into middle age.
Eventually, I will meet the body of old age.
The purpose of practice cannot be to preserve a twenty-year-old body forever.
I have to live for a long time with a body that changes.
That was when the idea of a practice that can last a lifetime began to feel real—not just as an idea, but in my skin.
From Two Hours to Thirty Minutes
I used to practice for more than two hours almost every day.
Some days, it was close to three.
Now it is different.
Some days, thirty minutes.
Some days, fifty.
Even on a long day, I often practice only a little over an hour.
It changes according to the rhythm of my life, the condition of my body that day, my age, and what I happen to be studying at the time.
The person I used to be would probably have considered a thirty-minute practice lazy or incomplete.
I do not think that way anymore.
Thirty minutes spent actually paying attention to the body, and two hours spent forcing myself through a predetermined amount of work out of ambition, are not the same thing at all.
Some days, a short practice is the best practice.
Other days, the body is ready to explore something new, and I stay with it longer.
Both can be good practice.
From a Body That Endured Pain to a Body That Studies
One day, I suddenly noticed something.
The little aches and pains that used to remain somewhere in my body after practice were no longer there.
There was no single dramatic moment.
It happened after a long period of pushing less, observing more, studying a problem when it appeared,
giving it more time, and no longer treating recovery as laziness or falling behind.
I used to think of pain as something to overcome.
Now I ask questions.
Why did this pain appear?
How was I moving?
Is some other part of my body doing the work that the necessary muscles should be doing?
Am I using more force than I need?
Am I pushing something simply because I want it, even though I do not actually need to do it today?
As I studied, the questions multiplied.
For a long time, I had been in a hurry to imitate the external shapes I saw other people making.
Studying anatomy finally made me begin asking what my joints, muscles, and breath were actually doing inside those shapes.
My body gradually changed from something to conquer into something to study.
Even now, imbalances and small problems show themselves from time to time.
But I approach them differently.
I no longer simply repeat the same routine and wait for things to improve on their own.
I look more carefully.
If necessary, I do less.
I move differently.
And recovery and rehabilitation have become part of practice too.
Practicing freely did not mean having no rules.
Freedom brought responsibility.
The responsibility to listen to the body.
To distinguish desire from necessity.
Not to justify pain in the name of practice.
To accept that today’s body is not yesterday’s body.
And sometimes,
to accept that not pushing harder today may be what allows me to practice again tomorrow.
I began Ashtanga at thirty-nine, after a lifetime in which walking was about the only exercise I had done consistently.
My goal was Second Series.
At the time, I thought that was as far as I could possibly go.
Now I explore the various series and postures collectively referred to as Advanced.
And strangely, the more postures I learn,
the further I move from the belief that I have to do more.
I used to think that changing the body required doing more.
Now I feel that if I want to live with this body for a long time, I need to learn how to see it more clearly.
Some days, I practice Surya Namaskara and a few basic movements, then roll up my mat.
What I am slowly learning through practice is not only when I can do more, but when to return.
When to stop.
The body will continue to change.
Some movements may deepen.
Others may eventually diminish.
There may come a day when I can no longer do postures I can do now.
But when that day comes, I will be learning something else.
One. Inhale, raise the arms, and look toward the thumbs.
Two. Fold back down and exhale.
And begin again.
This is a record of one practitioner’s personal experience and study. References to physical change, pain, and recovery reflect the author’s individual experience and are not intended as medical diagnosis or claims of therapeutic effect. Every body and practice environment is different.
Related Reflections
나는 서른아홉 살에 아쉬탕가 요가를 시작했다.
그전까지 운동을 좋아했던 것도 아니다. 걷는 것을 제외하면 꾸준히 해본 운동이라고 부를 만한 것이 거의 없었다.
막내딸이 생후 네 달쯤 되었을 때 교통사고를 냈다. 터진 에어백에 명치 부근을 강하게 맞았고, 이후 반년 정도는 목을 좌우로 제대로 돌리기가 어려웠다.
물리치료도 받고 침 치료도 꾸준히 받았다. 하지만 어린아이들을 키우면서 치료를 받으러 오가고 기다리는 데 두어 시간을 쓰는 일은 당시의 나에게 꽤 큰 일이었다.
내 몸인데 집에서 조금이라도 스스로 돌볼 수는 없을까?
그런 생각으로 유튜브에서 요가를 검색하다 한 영상을 만났다.
선생님의 아버지가 여섯 명의 학생을 이끌며 진행하던 오래된 Primary Series Ashtanga 영상이었다.
나는 화면 속 사람들이 무엇을 하고 있는지도 제대로 몰랐다.
그런데 이상하게 눈을 뗄 수가 없었다.
그리고 집에서 혼자 따라 하기 시작했다.
난생처음 내 몸을 제대로 움직여보는 것 같은 느낌이 들었다. 수련을 마치면 몸 전체가 노곤해지면서, 따로 떨어져 있던 몸의 여러 부분이 서로 이야기를 나누는 것 같은 감각이 있었다.
아마 그 느낌이 좋았던 것 같다.
그렇게 시작한 내가 세운 첫 목표는 의외로 분명했다.
세컨드 시리즈까지만 해보자.
당시에는 Primary만 봐도 충분히 어려워 보였다. 차투랑가 단다사나에서는 팔을 굽혀 천천히 내려가는 대신 중력의 팔에 안겨 거의 그대로 바닥으로 떨어지던 사람이었다.
그런데도 어째서인지, 내가 알고 있는 끝까지는 한번 가보고 싶었다.
그때 내게 그 끝이 세컨드 시리즈였다.
처음에는 더 많이 해야 한다고 생각했다
아쉬탕가의 시리즈는 나에게 산을 올라가는 길처럼 보였다.
Primary를 지나 Intermediate로...
Intermediate를 지나 그다음 Advanced로…
한 자세를 익히고 다음 자세로 가고, 한 시리즈를 마치면 다음으로 올라가는 것...
더 어려운 자세를 할 수 있다는 것은 더 많이 발전했다는 뜻처럼 느껴졌다.
그러다 보니 몇 가지 믿음도 자연스럽게 따라붙었다.
몸이 충분히 유연해야 한다.
매일 오랫동안 수련해야 한다.
어려운 자세를 하려면 몸을 계속 한계까지 밀어붙여야 한다.
한 자세를 완벽하게 하지 못하면 그다음 자세는 시도도 하지 않는 편이 낫다.
나는 꽤 성실하게 그 생각들을 실천했다.
새벽 다섯 시 동이 틀 무렵 수련을 시작했다.
Primary를 마치고 Intermediate를 이어서 했다. 어떤 날에는 거기서 멈추지 않고 Third Series의 중간까지 가기도 했다.
그러면 세 시간이 훌쩍 지나 있었다.
오늘 할 수 있는 최대치까지...
더 많이 하면 더 빨리 나아갈 것이라고 생각했다.
하루를 쉬면 뒤처질 것 같았고, 짧게 하면 부족하게 느껴졌다.
지금 돌아보면 나는 수련을 꽤 강박적으로 몰아붙이고 있었다.
내 몸이 그 계획에 동의했는지는 별개의 문제였다.
통증을 견디는 것이 수련인 줄 알았다
그 시절에는 몸 여기저기에 통증이 돌아다녔다.
특히 목과 어깨, 견갑골 뒤쪽은 자주 불편했다.
한곳이 괜찮아지면 다른 곳이 아팠고, 그곳이 나아지면 또 다른 곳이 불편해졌다.
그런데 나는 그것을 크게 이상하게 생각하지 않았다.
요가를 깊게 하면 원래 이런가 보다.
몸이 바뀌려면 어느 정도는 아파야 하나 보다.
어려운 것을 하려면 견뎌야 하나 보다.
어떤 특정 자세나 움직임이 문제였다기보다 수련을 대하는 태도 전체가 그랬다.
오늘 내 몸이 어떤 상태인지보다 오늘 어디까지 가야 하는지가 중요했다.
몸 안에서 무슨 일이 일어나는지보다 겉에서 보이는 형상을 따라가는 데 더 급했다.
수련을 다시 배우기 시작했다
선생님은 처음 만나 뵈었을 때부터 내 속을 어느 정도 간파하고 계셨던 것 같다.
내가 단단하게 쌓아놓은 여러 아집을 정면에서 깨뜨리려 하지 않으셨다.
대신 특유의 농담과 재치 있는 유머로 조금씩 녹여버리셨다.
그렇다고 무조건 덜 하라고 하신 것도 아니다.
더 할 수 있는 부분에서는 정확히 지적하셨고, 노력해야 할 곳에서는 더 노력하라고 하셨다.
그리고 몇 년 전 내가 무엇을 어려워했는지까지 기억하며 변화를 지켜봐주셨다.
그 과정에서 내가 아쉬탕가 요가에 대해 당연하다고 생각했던 것들이 하나씩 흔들렸다.
모든 것을 매일 할 필요는 없다.
모든 자세를 끝까지 밀어붙일 필요도 없다.
때로는 어떤 부분을 생략할 수 있다.
어떤 자세를 건너뛰고 다른 움직임을 먼저 탐구한 뒤 다시 돌아올 수도 있다.
처음에는 그런 자유가 오히려 불안했다.
정해진 순서를 완벽하게 따르는 것이 아쉬탕가 요가라고 생각했기 때문이다.
그런데 시간이 지나면서 알게 되었다.
선택할 수 있다는 것은 마음대로 해도 된다는 뜻이 아니다.
오히려 책임이 커졌다.
왜 오늘 이 자세를 건너뛰는가.
몸이 보내는 신호 때문인가, 아니면 하기 싫어서인가.
왜 오늘 조금 더 해보려 하는가.
몸이 준비되어 있기 때문인가, 아니면 잘하고 싶다는 욕심 때문인가.
휴식인가.
회피인가.
도전인가.
집착인가.
정해진 순서만 따라갈 때보다 오히려 내 몸과 마음을 더 자세히 봐야 한다.
Advanced가 나를 다시 Primary로 데려왔다
처음에는 Intermediate까지가 목표였다.
그런데 그곳에 가까워지자 자연스럽게 그 너머가 궁금해졌다.
지금 나의 수련은 Advanced라고 불리는 여러 시리즈와 자세를 차례로 탐구하는 것이다.
시간이 지나면서 나는 왜 자세들이 그런 순서로 놓여 있는지도 조금씩 이해하게 되었다.
양파의 껍질을 하나씩 벗기는 것과도 비슷하고,
집을 짓는 것과도 비슷하다.
먼저 기반을 만들고,
그 위에 다음 구조를 올리고,
앞에서 익힌 힘과 움직임이 다음 것을 준비한다.
그리고 뒤에서 경험한 움직임은 다시 앞의 것을 바꾸어놓는다.
여러 Advanced 자세를 골고루 탐구한 뒤 Primary로 돌아오면 재미있는 일이 생긴다.
Primary가 달라져 있다.
물론 시리즈가 변한 것은 아니다.
내 몸이 변한 것이다.
특히 어깨와 흉곽, 고관절의 변화는 때때로 새 몸을 받은 것처럼 느껴진다.
같은 자세인데 공간이 다르게 느껴진다.
예전에는 힘으로 해결하던 곳에서 힘을 덜 쓰게 되고, 어디에서 움직여야 하는지조차 몰랐던 부분이 어느 날 움직이고 있다는 것을 발견하기도 한다.
처음에는 Advanced를 통해 새로운 기술을 몸 위에 하나씩 쌓는다고 생각했다.
그런데 어느 순간부터는 조금 다르게 느껴졌다.
새로운 것을 덧붙이는 것이 아니라,
이미 있던 것의 근본이 조금씩 달라지고 있었다.
산을 오르고 다시 집으로
새로운 자세를 배우는 일은 여전히 재미있다.
처음 보는 자세를 만나면, 한동안은 도무지 어떻게 해야 할지 모르겠다.
해봐도 분명 안 되지만 그래도 또 해본다.
그러다 어느 날 전에는 느끼지 못했던 움직임이 생긴다.
그 과정은 우리가 산을 오르는 것과 조금은 닮았다.
그런데 높이 오른다고 Primary가 낮거나 하찮게 느껴지지는 않는다.
오히려 더 자주 돌아오고 싶다.
Advanced를 수련하며 달라진 몸으로 Primary를 하면 전에 너무 익숙해서 지나쳤던 움직임이 다시 보인다.
집으로 돌아온 것 같다.
아마 집은 그대로일 것이다.
달라진 것은 돌아온 나다.
몸은 생각보다 많이 기억하고 있었다.
선생님에게서 들은 말 중 처음에는 선뜻 믿기 어려웠던 것들이 많다.
매일 긴 시리즈 전체를 수련할 필요는 없다는 말이다.
수리야 나마스카라 A 다섯 회와 B 세 번 후
그리고 파르스보타나사나까지.
그 정도의 큰 틀을 꾸준히 이어가라고 하셨다.
아마 고집스럽게 오랜 수련 시간을 채우고 가능한 한 많은 아사나를 하루에 집어넣던 그때의 나를 보며 해주신 말씀이었을 것이다.
나는 속으로 생각했다.
에이, 설마 정말로 그것만 해서 어떻게 유지해?
힘들게 얻은 움직임을 잃지 않으려면 계속 어려운 자세를 해야 하는 것 아닌가.
더 많이 해야 되는 것 아닌가.
그런데 시간이 흐르면서 다른 대답이 나오기 시작했다.
정말 그 가르침대로 큰 틀이 유지되었다.
Advanced에서 경험한 움직임은 그 자세를 하지 않는 날에도 다른 움직임 안에 남아 있었다.
그제야 조금 알 것 같았다.
왜 평생 이 요가를 수련하고 가르쳐온 선생님이 그렇게 기본적인 움직임만이라도 꾸준히 이어가라고 말씀하셨는지...
선생님을 만났을 때 나는 이미 청년기를 훌쩍 지나 중년에 들어서고 있었다.
앞으로는 노년기의 몸도 만나야 한다.
스무 살의 몸을 영원히 유지하는 것이 수련의 목적일 수는 없다.
변하는 몸과 함께 살아가야 한다.
그때부터 평생 할 수 있는 수련이라는 말이 진실로, 피부에 와닿게 되었다.
두 시간에서 삼십 분으로
예전에는 늘 두 시간이 넘도록 수련했다.
어떤 날은 세 시간 가까이 했다.
지금은 다르다.
어떤 날에는 30분.
어떤 날에는 50분.
정말 길게 해도 한 시간을 조금 넘기는 정도일 때가 많다.
생활 리듬에 따라,
그날의 몸에 따라,
나이에 따라,
그리고 지금 무엇을 공부하고 있는가에 따라 달라진다.
예전의 나라면 30분 하고 매트를 접는 날을 수련을 덜 하거나 게으름을 피운 날이라고 생각했을 것이다.
지금은 그렇지 않다.
30분 동안 몸을 제대로 바라보며 움직이는 것과,
두 시간 동안 미리 정해둔 양을 욕심으로 밀어붙이는 것은
전혀 같은 일이 아니다.
어떤 날은 짧게 하는 것이 가장 좋은 수련일 수 있다.
어떤 날은 몸이 새로운 것을 탐구할 준비가 되어 있어 조금 더 오래 수련한다.
둘 다 좋은 수련이다.
고통을 견디는 몸에서, 공부하는 몸으로
어느 날 문득 알아차렸다.
수련을 하고 나면 늘 몸 어딘가에 남아 있던 자잘한 통증들이 보이지 않고 있었다.
특별한 한순간이 있었던 것은 아니다.
그저 덜 몰아붙이고,
더 많이 관찰하고,
문제가 생기면 그 부분을 공부하고,
조금 더 시간을 주고,
회복을 게으름이나 뒤처짐처럼 여기지 않는 시간이 오래 쌓인 뒤였다.
예전에는 통증을 이겨내야 할 장애물 정도로 생각했다.
지금은 이런 질문을 한다.
왜 이런 통증이 생겼지?
난 어떤 방식으로 움직이고 있던 거지?
필요한 근육 대신 다른 부분이 대신 일하는 거 아냐?
필요 이상으로 힘을 쓰고 있지는 않은가?
꼭 오늘 하지 않아도 되는 것을 욕심 때문에 밀어붙이고 있지는 않나?
공부하면서 이런 질문은 더 많아졌다.
오랫동안 난 남들의 겉모양만 따라하는 데 급급했다.
해부학을 공부하면서 비로소 내 관절과 근육과 호흡이 실제로 안에서 무엇을 하고 있는지 묻기 시작했다.
몸은 조금씩 정복해야 할 대상에서 공부해야 할 대상으로 바뀌었다.
지금도 수련하다보면 불균형이나 소소한 문제들이 드러난다.
하지만 접근 방식은 예전과 다르다.
전처럼 무조건 같은 루틴을 반복하다보면 저절로 나아지겠지 하며 기다리지 않는다.
조금 더 자세히 본다.
필요하면 덜 한다.
전과 다른 방식으로 움직인다.
그리고 회복과 재활도 수련 안에 포함된다.
자유롭게 수련한다는 것은 규칙이 없다는 뜻이 아니었다.
그 자유에는 책임이 따라왔다.
몸에 귀를 기울일 책임.
욕심과 필요를 구분할 책임.
고통을 수행이라는 이름으로 정당화하지 않을 책임.
오늘의 몸이 어제의 몸과 다르다는 것을 인정할 책임.
그리고 때로는,
오늘 더 밀어붙이지 않는 것이 내일 또 수련하기 위한 선택일 수 있음을 받아들일 책임.
운동이라고는 평생 걷는 것밖에 하지 않던 서른아홉 살에 아쉬탕가를 시작했다.
목표는 세컨드 시리즈까지였다.
그때는 그곳이 내가 갈 수 있는 가장 먼 곳이라고 생각했다.
지금은 Advanced라고 통칭하는 여러 시리즈와 자세를 탐구하고 있다.
그런데 이상하게도 더 많은 자세를 알게 될수록,
더 많이 해야 한다는 생각에서는 멀어진다.
예전에는 몸이 바뀌려면 더 많이 해야 한다고 생각했다.
지금은 몸과 함께 살아가려면 더 잘 바라봐야 한다고 생각한다.
어떤 날에는 수리야 나마스카라를 하고 몇 가지 기본적인 움직임만 한 뒤 매트를 접는다.
수련하며 내가 조금씩 배우고 있는 것은
언제 더 할 수 있을 것인가만이 아니라,
언제 돌아올 것인가.
언제 멈출 것인가.
몸은 앞으로도 계속 변할 것이다.
어떤 움직임은 더 깊어질 것이고,
어떤 것은 언젠가 줄어들 것이다.
지금 할 수 있는 자세를 하지 못하게 되는 날도 올 것이다.
하지만, 그때 나는 또 다른 것을 배우고 있을 것이다.
하나. 숨을 들이쉬고, 팔을 올리고, 엄지손가락을 본다.
둘. 다시 내려오며 숨을 내쉰다.
그리고 다시 시작한다.
이 글은 한 수련자의 개인적인 경험과 공부를 기록한 것입니다. 신체 변화, 통증과 회복에 관한 내용은 저자의 개인적인 경험이며 의료적 진단이나 치료 효과를 의미하지 않습니다. 각자의 몸과 수련 환경은 서로 다를 수 있습니다.
.jpg)

Thank you for sharing your experience!
ReplyDeleteMy pleasure!
Delete